U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM

634 posts, read 604,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
With 9 million overseas Filipinos, yes, there are crimes committed against them. It will be surprising if there are no criminal victims among 9 million people. The Middle East, especially Saudi Arabia, seems to have a higher proportion with regards to the frequency and severity of the crimes being reported in the news. There was a temporary ban on new hires to Saudi Arabia because their government won't agree to a US$400 monthly minimum wage for domestic workers from the Philippines. It has now since been lifted though. It still seems a scary place to go as there are Filipinos in jail there accused of proselytizing. I have also heard of a story wherein an Arab driver clearly bumped a car driven by a Filipino. But the Arab judge ruled that the Filipino driver has to pay the Arab driver for damages because if he did not go to Saudi Arabia, then the accident couldn't have happened!

Wow!! I'm a Filipino and that is just outrageous, enough for me to want to shoot the judge in the head. I swear those Arabs are pucked in the head. It also is the country that has most abuse cases against our OFWs. Second is Hongkong, I believe.

Makes me mad how evil they are! It's like they don't even treat them as human! Worst than slavery back in the day, IMO. Sad thing is... we are not in 1800s anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I have also heard of a story wherein an Arab driver clearly bumped a car driven by a Filipino. But the Arab judge ruled that the Filipino driver has to pay the Arab driver for damages because if he did not go to Saudi Arabia, then the accident couldn't have happened!
I wonder if that's an urban myth.

I was in South Korea back in the 1990s, when very few foreigner were around, and we'd often get gawked and stared at.

There was a regular story I always heard back than. It was about a Korean driving a car, and when he saw a foreigner, he stared so hard, that he got in a car wreck. The Korean sued the foreigner, because if he wasn't walking down the street, he wouldn't have gotten into the car wreck. The Korean won the case.

I remember hearing that story often, and many people strongly believed it. Never met anyone who had that happen to though. And as the years went by, Koreans stared less, more foreigners came to Korea, and the story just disappeared from being told altogether.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Did you get those figures from Wikipedia?
from wiki

Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM

12,578 posts, read 15,050,467 times
Living here in the SF Bay area, I would say that my Filipino friends are very successful. Most are all college educated and live middle to upper-middle class lifestyles.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Hongkong and mostly the Domestic Helpers.

In Hongkong I heard there were some Filipinas living there for more than 20 years already but they still couldn't get the residency. I wonder why ?? Is it discrimination ? It's quite sad because there are 100 ,000 + filipinos taking care of them and their children. In Portugal, they are granted the citizenship after 5 years of being there as long as they take the Portuguese test while in Spain they become Spanish right away after 2 years.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-10-2013 at 02:48 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
^A lot are not interested to change their nationality in Middle Eastern. I know a lot of Filipinos are already in Middle East for more than 20 yrs but they don't want to settle in Middle East and still wanted to go back to the Philippines. A lot of Filipinos working abroad had successful careers but sometimes we get stereotype too, Domestic Helpers are usually the one that get the mistreated all the time. You see Filipinos in other field. Fashion, Hospitals, Malls, Hotels, Construction firm as engineers etc. Some Arabs actually appreciated the importance of the Filipinos in their economy but some are not nice too specially for domestic helpers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Qcz2DtDPY
^some Filipino fashion designer in UAE

Last edited by pinai; 04-10-2013 at 03:53 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 AM
FBF

572 posts, read 692,033 times
Filipinos with dark skin tones are look down upon in much of East Asia, sadly (especially in Korea).

Hong Kong is almost just as bad.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Filipinos with dark skin tones are look down upon in much of East Asia, sadly (especially in Korea).

Hong Kong is almost just as bad.
Koreans look down on Filipinos ? So why are they flocking the Philippines to study and live if they think so low of Filipinos ? Filipinos should just stop supporting their music and novelas and if we are looked down by most East Asians why should we associate with them ?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Some Singaporeans look down on them, it's like a class thing.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Hongkong and mostly the Domestic Helpers.

In Hongkong I heard there were some Filipinas living there for more than 20 years already but they still couldn't get the residency. I wonder why ?? Is it discrimination ? It's quite sad because there are 100 ,000 + filipinos taking care of them and their children. In Portugal, they are granted the citizenship after 5 years of being there as long as they take the Portuguese test while in Spain they become Spanish right away after 2 years.
Mainland Chinese can hardly obtain HK residency either.
You have to be rich or talented or get married with a HK resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or