U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:30 AM

4,509 posts, read 3,090,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
An interesting fact, East Timor is the most Christian nation in Asia, more than the Phils. It's 98% Catholic.

and i'm sure they are just as successful as the islands of king phillip of spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 03:50 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
I have no interest in going to East Timor and I don't know anyone who has been there.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:41 AM

478 posts, read 188,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Yeah by 'Indonesian', I guess mini means more Javanese, Sumatran.etc. Indonesia is a diverse archipelago with different phenotypes.
I think foreigners will think that Indonesian face is like a javanese,dayaks,sumateran , it's wrong of Indonesia's distinctive faces is very diverse and nobody represents,my face is very Indonesian/pure when I visit cambodia & thailand there local people will speak to me using local language and always think i'm local people and in malaysia always think i'm malaysian . I am happy when people be mistaken me for citizens of other countries. even many maids or Indonesian workers who work in arab are always mistaken to filipinos

Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Just curious...
I have never but want to visit East Timor

Old 10-01-2018, 02:11 AM

621 posts, read 381,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
a peacekeeper sent there during their post independence told me its just like one of those backward province in the Philippines like Samar or Leyte..that was more than 10 years ago..might have been a lot of change since then coz the gas had been discovered in their EEZ
I understand that Samar Leyte provinces may not be the most developed part of the Philippines but they are actually either 1st and 2nd class provinces except Biliran and S Leyte which are even ranked higher than provinces north of Luzon. Depends on how you define backward but if you probably had been there, they probably trumps and would put to shame cities and towns in Luzon esp up north.

I'm not sure development in East Timor can top these places.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I understand that Samar Leyte provinces may not be the most developed part of the Philippines but they are actually either 1st and 2nd class provinces except Biliran and S Leyte which are even ranked higher than provinces north of Luzon. Depends on how you define backward but if you probably had been there, they probably trumps and would put to shame cities and towns in Luzon esp up north.

I'm not sure development in East Timor can top these places.
not been there but a brother in law just drove recently from Manila to Gen San and he observed that once you reach Samar/Leyte, the houses that line the highway start becoming smaller.

if you are referring to how big the cities are compared to the North, yeah i have to agree with you that towns and cities are bigger in the Visayas and Mindanao. but then it only shows there are more people in the Visayas/Mindanao but it doesnt mean the quality of life is better.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:49 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
and i'm sure they are just as successful as the islands of king phillip of spain.

Why would you take issue with the Spaniard cultural infusion in the Philippines?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Oh....East Timor = Indonesia. Indonesia = Philippines...the same thing....?

They are interchangeable for people. But they are actually three different countries.

But if it keeps an East Timor thread going, why not. Continue with the Philippines.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Oh....East Timor = Indonesia. Indonesia = Philippines...the same thing....?

They are interchangeable for people. But they are actually three different countries.

But if it keeps an East Timor thread going, why not. Continue with the Philippines.

I haven't been to East Timor but recall following the news about it about 1999 and based on the footage and reporting it was evident that people are ethnically, culturally and even racially diverse. Some look very much like Papuans while others look they would blend into Malaysia, Indonesia or the PI. There is a diversity.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I haven't been to East Timor but recall following the news about it about 1999 and based on the footage and reporting it was evident that people are ethnically, culturally and even racially diverse. Some look very much like Papuans while others look they would blend into Malaysia, Indonesia or the PI. There is a diversity.
East Timor people look like eastern Indonesian like flores, maluku, nusa tenggara and even papua, east timor people very different from other Indonesian . I think there are many similarities with east timor with indonesian like they still use Indonesian as an introduction and some culture with Indonesian .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or