U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:49 PM

478 posts, read 189,326 times

Advertisements

East Timor even though it is already independent but they still best friend with Indonesia, unlike other countries still hostility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 08:45 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Why would you take issue with the Spaniard cultural infusion in the Philippines?

why wouldn't you?

it has never been good for it.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:33 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
East Timor even though it is already independent but they still best friend with Indonesia, unlike other countries still hostility
Are you sure about that a huge part of the population was massacred when Indonesian took over in 1975.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 PM

478 posts, read 189,326 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that a huge part of the population was massacred when Indonesian took over in 1975.
I don't know about it...

Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
why wouldn't you?

it has never been good for it.
Why would I I'm Iberian and you can't reverse anything that occurred and if you did remove the Spaniard layer of contributions you wouldn't have the PI it would be something else. One of the most interesting things about Filipinos is that in general they are very empathetic kind people which in Asia is very rare most other cultures are very self serving(although some individuals don't fit that mold) and seem to not value empathy in fact I've met numerous East Asians that lack the capacity of it,. I'm curious if that was part of the cultural make up before the Spaniards.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
I haven't been to East Timor but recall following the news about it about 1999 and based on the footage and reporting it was evident that people are ethnically, culturally and even racially diverse. Some look very much like Papuans while others look they would blend into Malaysia, Indonesia or the PI. There is a diversity.
I also wonder if there is a bit of Portuguese blood mixed with some...as well as the other colonies of Portugal - i.e. Goa, Macau, Mozambique, Anglola, etc.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:52 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also wonder if there is a bit of Portuguese blood mixed with some...as well as the other colonies of Portugal - i.e. Goa, Macau, Mozambique, Anglola, etc.
There is a small percentage that are mixed with Portuguese and Chinese as well. They are the elite.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Why would I I'm Iberian and you can't reverse anything that occurred and if you did remove the Spaniard layer of contributions you wouldn't have the PI it would be something else. One of the most interesting things about Filipinos is that in general they are very empathetic kind people which in Asia is very rare most other cultures are very self serving(although some individuals don't fit that mold) and seem to not value empathy in fact I've met numerous East Asians that lack the capacity of it,. I'm curious if that was part of the cultural make up before the Spaniards.
I find that Filipinos, Indonesians, Malaysians, and Thai all have that characteristic. Very open....in ways one wouldn't expect.

But yeah, very self-serving with China, Korea, Vietnam.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:24 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I find that Filipinos, Indonesians, Malaysians, and Thai all have that characteristic. Very open....in ways one wouldn't expect.

But yeah, very self-serving with China, Korea, Vietnam.

I'm not sure where to place the Japanese though the culture seems to value outward politeness and teamwork but the interactions feel aloof. I get the sense people express loyalty through acts of service to show gratitude for friendships that are valued. But if feels very much like backwards tit for tat from my perspective.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:59 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
I don't know about it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Timor_genocide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or