U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 AM

632 posts, read 291,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I know nothing about TETUM, but if there are a ton of Portuguese loan words, that is interesting. I'm assuming probably the nouns?

I'm probably hopefully dreaming here, but if Tetum lacked the complex multitude of Portuguese verbs, it would be amazing. One of the strong points of Indonesian is the simplified plurals and verbs.
Tetum has a lot of nouns from Portuguese as well as adjectives and some verbs (like senti ['to feel'] from sentir and gosta ['to like'] from gostar).

From an English speaker's perspective Portuguese verbs are complex. From a Tetum speaker's perspective they are a nightmare (I can see this fact alone as preventing more widespread use of Portuguese in Timor-Leste).

To make nouns plural, all you have to do is add sira ('they') to the back of the noun.

For verbs, there is no conjugation... one form for all persons (I, you, s/he, we, y'all, they). To refer to the past, all you have to do is use ona ('already') before the main verb. For future, Timorese use sei ('will'), atu ('to intend/to plan to'), or ba ('to go') again before the main verb.

Anyone want to learn Tetum? Here's an online course (text with audio): http://www.tetundit.tl/peacecorps.html. You could probably do it in 1/10th the time to learn your average continental European language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,274,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Tetum has a lot of nouns from Portuguese as well as adjectives and some verbs (like senti ['to feel'] from sentir and gosta ['to like'] from gostar).

From an English speaker's perspective Portuguese verbs are complex. From a Tetum speaker's perspective they are a nightmare (I can see this fact alone as preventing more widespread use of Portuguese in Timor-Leste).

To make nouns plural, all you have to do is add sira ('they') to the back of the noun.

For verbs, there is no conjugation... one form for all persons (I, you, s/he, we, y'all, they). To refer to the past, all you have to do is use ona ('already') before the main verb. For future, Timorese use sei ('will'), atu ('to intend/to plan to'), or ba ('to go') again before the main verb.

Anyone want to learn Tetum? Here's an online course (text with audio): http://www.tetundit.tl/peacecorps.html. You could probably do it in 1/10th the time to learn your average continental European language.
With all of those loan words, I'm surprised they don't promote Tetum more. Granted, they probably want Portuguese for that Portuguese connection for business, commerce, trade, international education, but still.

Tetum actually looks easier than Portuguese to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or