U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
she is chinese not filipino
Her parents were raised in the Philippines. Her mother moved there at the age of 2. Both parents converted to Catholicism. I'd say they're Filipino. She still has relatives there. But in the end, it's up to her if she wants to identify as Filipino or Chinese.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Her parents were raised in the Philippines. Her mother moved there at the age of 2. Both parents converted to Catholicism. I'd say they're Filipino. She still has relatives there. But in the end, it's up to her if she wants to identify as Filipino or Chinese.
just because you were raised in Philippines does not make you filipino

many white americans were raised in Philippines back when US still had bases there.....yet they are still american

to be filipino you would at least need 1 filipino parent

Amy Chua would be more precisely Chinese-American

Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,054,958 times
Why are Asian Americans Feminist?

In the words of another famous Asian-American that is a "glittering generality".

Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:

many white americans were raised in Philippines back when US still had bases there.....yet they are still american

Had she been born in the Philippines, she would definitely be Filipino. If both your parents were raised there and you were born there, then you're Filipino. But the fact that she was born in the US makes it a little different. Like I said, she can choose to identify herself either way, I think she's chosen Chinese though

Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Had she been born in the Philippines, she would definitely be Filipino. If both your parents were raised there and you were born there, then you're Filipino. But the fact that she was born in the US makes it a little different. Like I said, she can choose to identify herself either way, I think she's chosen Chinese though
If she was born in philippines she would have been filipino by nationality until she changed her citizenship

Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM

846 posts, read 945,692 times
1. Large number of Asian American immigrants are well educated and here on professional visas. They were already quite independent before they came here. It's not an Asian American culture thing. It's a brain drain culture to the US thing.

2. You're going to have a hard time making ends meet if you expect to have a male pull part of your weight or be in blue collar all your life.

I was never pressured into getting in science or math. My mother tried to pressure me into applying to law schools though a well timed fit when I was driving in the car put an end to that. You're just pressured into making as much money as possible period.

Maybe the better question is why are Asian Americans so money grubbing?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,929,248 times
My take knowing many first generation immigrants who came here in high school, college, grad school etc...a lot of them came and stayed in the US because it is a friendly environment for women. I feel like this aspect of American culture is very strong to first generation Asian immigrants, and obviously to second generation ones and beyond. It tends to be a self-selecting bias I'd say.

I have known some of the male counterparts who struggle in their personal life for the same reason, if they grew up in a very patriarchal family and then come to the US where the dynamic between men and women is substantially different.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:

You don't consider Chinese Filipinos Filipinos?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You don't consider Chinese Filipinos Filipinos?

I was thinking the same thing. Both her parents had/have Philippine Citizenship (not Chinese) and are from the Philippines. So her parents are Filipino.

The Philippines changed their laws to allow dual nationality.. so she does qualify if she wants a Philippine passport.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
Quote:

Well both her parents were born and raised in the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or