U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
 
251 posts, read 547,131 times
Reputation: 107

Advertisements

In response to Trimac20's post, I wonder why Japanese (and Korean and Taiwanese) culture is so patriarchal, discouraging women from working in white collar professions, and tend to raise very meek, Confucian women.

Asian Americans, however, are very feminist (do you really think Amy Chua the Tiger Mom could be a lawyer at a prestigious Japanese university and be the head of the household in Japan?) I've also noticed that Asian American adolescents are just as pressured as their male peers to get into Science, Tech, Math, and Engineering (STEM) majors, ALL of which are very male dominated, even in America.

Remember, Amy Chua grew up in the Phillippines as a Chinese traditionalist, while many of the adolescent girls I talk of were born in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc.

So why the break-away from traditional gender roles, even with 1st generation immigrants?

 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Why wouldn't Asian Americans integrate into the mainstream society and way of thinking just like other Americans?
 
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why wouldn't Asian Americans integrate into the mainstream society and way of thinking just like other Americans?
I find that as well. Usually they out-American the Americans. I mean, they'll have an even greater desire to success, to be a cheerleader, to join a sorority, live in a suburb, spend their teenage years in shopping malls, take advantage of the educational opportunites - i.e. parents are obsessed with their kids living in 'a good school district' regardless if they could actually afford living in that neighborhood or not, etc.

As much as the Asian parents wanted their kids to keep traditional roots. There must have also been some make-up within their parents to 'change countries', which the kids probably picked up on as well, and went full-on within that new environment.
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
In response to Trimac20's post, I wonder why Japanese (and Korean and Taiwanese) culture is so patriarchal, discouraging women from working in white collar professions, and tend to raise very meek, Confucian women.

Asian Americans, however, are very feminist (do you really think Amy Chua the Tiger Mom could be a lawyer at a prestigious Japanese university and be the head of the household in Japan?) I've also noticed that Asian American adolescents are just as pressured as their male peers to get into Science, Tech, Math, and Engineering (STEM) majors, ALL of which are very male dominated, even in America.

Remember, Amy Chua grew up in the Phillippines as a Chinese traditionalist, while many of the adolescent girls I talk of were born in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc.

So why the break-away from traditional gender roles, even with 1st generation immigrants?
Actually, Amy Chua was born and grew up in the US. Her parents were born and grew up in the Philippines though.
 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I find that as well. Usually they out-American the Americans. I mean, they'll have an even greater desire to success, to be a cheerleader, to join a sorority, live in a suburb, spend their teenage years in shopping malls, take advantage of the educational opportunites - i.e. parents are obsessed with their kids living in 'a good school district' regardless if they could actually afford living in that neighborhood or not, etc.

As much as the Asian parents wanted their kids to keep traditional roots. There must have also been some make-up within their parents to 'change countries', which the kids probably picked up on as well, and went full-on within that new environment.
Definitely. Here first generation immigrants from Asia fully integrate, although some retain more of their culture/identity. I'd say the latter is more willing to hang out more with other Asians, both Australian and non-Australian, and speak an Asian language at home.etc, while the former often just speaks English and has a variety of friends.
 
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Reputation: 1798
So Amy Chua is Filipino? Had no idea. She doesn't claim it
 
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,457,052 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
So Amy Chua is Filipino? Had no idea. She doesn't claim it
Her parents are Filipino-Chinese. Technically she qualifies for a PH passport.

To go back to the OP.. why shouldn't Asian-Americans adapt? Doesn't make sense why you expect them to act like their parents in the old country.

Do you expect ITalian-Americans, African-Americans to act traditional?
 
Old 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM
JL
 
7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Reputation: 7198
let me make a prediction here....EJAY1 will jump in somewhere on this thread!....with pics too!
 
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,539 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Reputation: 76499
Is it feminist to want to be a lawyer, engineer or techie? I thought it was normal. Oh well.

btw, better opportunities for their kids are one of the main reasons Asians come to N America. And once they're settled in the West, Asian parents don't discriminate between their male and female children re: educational opportunities.
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,425 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
So Amy Chua is Filipino? Had no idea. She doesn't claim it
she is chinese not filipino

she was born in chicago illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top