U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Your comment on the Korean wife cooking Korean food all the time. Someone said that when Koreans move to a place they quickly open a ton of grocery stores/restaurants.etc because they much prefer eating their own cuisine. It seems that there's been an explosion of Korean businesses, restaurants.etc here over the past 10 years, catering largely to the student/working holiday population, since not many Korean people actually live here.
So true. Even when traveling, Koreans bring their own food. They refuse to eat another type of noodles or ramen. Must only be Korean ramen or Korean noodles. Even backpack Korean travelers, will carry half a backpace of Korean soju, Korean noodles, etc. They rarely, if ever, eat or try non-Korean foods. Even in places like Thailand, they'll search out Korean restaurants, and only eat in them.

Japanese are almost the exact opposite. They search out authentic foreign foods. They also like to perfect the tastes and flavors and introduce them back into Japan. You have an extremely wide range of incredibly foreign foods in Japan. I've ever seen an 'American Restaurant' in Tokyo with all the regional stuff from Maine lobsters, Louisina gumbo, midwestern steak-n-potatoes, new mexico green and red chili cuisines, etc.

In Korea, you'd never find that. They just don't have the interest for it, taste for it, curiousity for it. Just nothing.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've come across some horror stories from Western women college students in Japan. I think most of what you wrote about Korean men applies to Japanese men, generally speaking, and I'm sure there are exceptions.

Doesn't Korea get along pretty well with the US bases there? US servicemen are NOT well thought-of in Japan, due to various scandals. Maybe that's one reason there's not as much of a Western male/local female pairing in Japan?

What about Taiwan? How does all this compare with Taiwan? Just wondering.
US servicemen are not well thought of in Okinawa, but throughout most of Japan, you hardly see them. There aren't any in Kansai (Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka, Nara) where I live. I believe they are only in 3 geographical regions in Japan - Okinawa, Kyushu, and the peripheries of Tokyo. Which leaves about 90% of the country being US-military free. Which means that the Japanese who have no exposure to them, will have no opinion of them. None of my students have ever had any opinion one way or another.

Whereas in Korea, there are so many US military all over the place, it's quite common to see them on most train rides or even on the subways, on a fairly regular basis. So, in short, Koreans have a significant more exposure, and fatigue from them. All of my Korean students had a very strong opinion on them, and generally negative.

Anyways, there are a lot of Western Male / local female pairings throughout Japan. It's common, and many western men prefer to stay in Japan with their wives and raise children here.

Taiwan. Mostly I've heard all good about Taiwan, all the way around. The most negative I hear is that 'it's boring'. But nothing more negative than that. On the positive, the people are really nice, it's an easy place to live, etc. I visited Taiwan, and I didn't find it boring at all. Maybe compared to Korea and Japan in the nightlife department, but far from boring in any other way. I don't know where they sit on taiwanse male / western female. I do have a co-worker here in Japan who is married to a Taiwanese guy, and they have kids. So, it must be good.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I was wondering what the political view toward the American bases generally was.
More elaborate response:

Koreans have strong anti-U.S. military feelings, with regular protests at the American embassy all the time. The U.S. embassy in Seoul is guarded with close to 100's and 100's of Korean soldiers, sleeping in buses in rotation when not actively patrolling and guarding it at all times of the day. Korean students regularly protest against American and the U.S. military. Political leaders usually always bring in the U.S. military bases into election debates. It's a hot topic. Common belief in Korea is that the U.S. intentionally divided the Korean peninsula so they could be within both China and Russia's sphere, to watch them. Korea was a pawn, is the typical feel.

Japanese generally have an ambivalent response/reaction to the U.S. military. The mass majority of US military are in Okinawa. So, Okinawa is swarming with them, and the Okinawans have the same feelings/issues as the Koreans. But, Okinawa is a very small portion of Japan, and most of Japan doesn't see them at all. (Just Okinawa, Kyushu, and the periphery of Tokyo has US military - which is only about 10% of Japan). Whereas in Korea, you'll looking at nearly 95% of Koreans regularly seeing US military all over the place all the time. Maybe only Cheju-do (an island just off Korea) is US military free. In short, Japan has much less issues overall, except for Okinawa.

The more exposure, it seems, the more resentment. Additionally, in Korea, there are strong curfews on US military to keep them in at night. Whereas in Japan, I don't believe there are curfews. In Korea, it's because there have been so many 'problems' late at night, that they have to get back on base by midnight, more or less. Etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,329,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So true. Even when traveling, Koreans bring their own food. They refuse to eat another type of noodles or ramen. Must only be Korean ramen or Korean noodles. Even backpack Korean travelers, will carry half a backpace of Korean soju, Korean noodles, etc. They rarely, if ever, eat or try non-Korean foods. Even in places like Thailand, they'll search out Korean restaurants, and only eat in them.

Japanese are almost the exact opposite. They search out authentic foreign foods. They also like to perfect the tastes and flavors and introduce them back into Japan. You have an extremely wide range of incredibly foreign foods in Japan. I've ever seen an 'American Restaurant' in Tokyo with all the regional stuff from Maine lobsters, Louisina gumbo, midwestern steak-n-potatoes, new mexico green and red chili cuisines, etc.

In Korea, you'd never find that. They just don't have the interest for it, taste for it, curiousity for it. Just nothing.
lol yeah they also like to export their food to other countries....bochun chicken is a huge franchise in the Philippines

Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM

9,782 posts, read 13,368,018 times
Quote:

It's funny: here in LA, you have large Japanese and Korean populations (we have the largest overseas Korean population IIRC); some of them are permanent residents, some of them are students, and many are tourists who are here on vacation or doing an extended stint with family.

"Soul food" as we call it in the US - southern, homestyle cooking like macaroni and cheese, collard greens, fried chicken, buffalo wings, etc - is popular over there. What I noticed was that if you went to Roscoe's Chicken And Waffles on a Friday or Saturday night, you'd see tons of Japanese kids in hip hop/b-boy style clothing hanging out, ordering red beans and rice and snapping pictures of themselves eating fried chicken and throwing the peace sign.

In K-town, Korean-owned "soul food" restaurants opened up to cater to Korean kids in hip hop/b-boy style clothing. There was also a Korean/soul food fusion restaurant called "Seoul Dogg" a few blocks from me that shut its doors, but had been doing a pretty brisk business. Part of it may be the historical animosity between the Korean and black communities in LA, but it was repeated with Korean-owned pizza restaurants, Korean-owned Japanese restaurants, Korean-owned Pho restaurants, etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,430,478 times
Quote:

That's probably a generalisation. I brought some Korean travellers to have some fish'n'chips here, and when my friend who have dinners and invite his Korean friends it's not like they'd refuse the food or anything lol. Maybe there's a greater tendency, but it's hard to believe Korean tourists going to Thailand and not eating the local food at all. What if they can't find any Korean restaurants?

Yes isn't the food scene in Tokyo surprisingly international? I've repeatedly heard it's one of the best cities for fine dining in the world, with more Michelin-star restaurants than Paris. The Japanese also like to appropriate cuisines like their own style of pizzas.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

188 posts, read 450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's probably a generalisation.
Like your classic quote that all Indians stink.

In fact - just leave that to one side for the moment, most of the crap you post on here are based on retarded generalisations.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,056,284 times
A while back I was looking for some Korean history sites and somehow this site, which has nothing to do with history came up. I bookmarked it because the comments, question etc are the same ones that were asked in japan 40 years ago. Read the comments at the end of the article. Some of them are very telling.

Top 3 Realizations You Must Know Before Dating Korean Women! | Teaching Kimchi

On t same site there is a similar article called

Five mistakes foreign guys make when dating Korean women. The comments are also interesting here and like the first article it is almost a mirror of how Japan was when I was first there some 50 years ago. People really change slowly.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,278,521 times
Quote:

that is quite the generalization

Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,843,755 times
Quote:
I've come across some horror stories from Western women college students in Japan. I think most of what you wrote about Korean men applies to Japanese men, generally speaking, and I'm sure there are exceptions.

Doesn't Korea get along pretty well with the US bases there? US servicemen are NOT well thought-of in Japan, due to various scandals. Maybe that's one reason there's not as much of a Western male/local female pairing in Japan?

What about Taiwan? How does all this compare with Taiwan? Just wondering.
No. Koreans are constantly protesting at the Yongsan base in Seoul. They don't want the US in their country.
Hence, returning a lot of the property in Seoul including a big golf course.
The US is changing its main location to an out of the way hub.

Okinawa has a love/hate relationship with the US military.
They look at each crime in addition to the last, not each as individual crimes. The marines, and frequently civilians, are on lockdown every few years after some moron rapes a young woman.
There are many Oki/US relationships and marriages.
You have to understand that Okinawa is the poorest of the Japanese prefectures and that the Okinawans don't necessarily feel part of Japan mainland. They refer to mainlanders as mainlanders. Okinawans have their own language. They speak Japanese, but have their own language and traditions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or