U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Ontario, NY
2,733 posts, read 6,255,524 times
Reputation: 2776

Advertisements

Due to the one child per family policy, China has something like 25 million more men than women. That's a considerable shortfall between the sexes. So no matter how many match making programs you initiate, there is still a shortage of women to meet the demand.

I think a more logical solution should be to encourage nontraditional marriages, where two men marry one women. Such marriages could be given special treatment, were the family would be allowed to have two children, instead of the standard one. This would allow China to continue to keep population growth down (but at a slower rate) and keep millions of single men happy. Other rights and benefits could be given by the Chinese government to encourage these types of marriages. Given the size of the population, these arrangements would be fairly rare, less than 5% of marriages, but would be enough to keep single unmarried men in check keeping social havoc to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
 
6,741 posts, read 6,647,110 times
Reputation: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Due to the one child per family policy, China has something like 25 million more men than women. That's a considerable shortfall between the sexes. So no matter how many match making programs you initiate, there is still a shortage of women to meet the demand.

I think a more logical solution should be to encourage nontraditional marriages, where two men marry one women. Such marriages could be given special treatment, were the family would be allowed to have two children, instead of the standard one. This would allow China to continue to keep population growth down (but at a slower rate) and keep millions of single men happy. Other rights and benefits could be given by the Chinese government to encourage these types of marriages. Given the size of the population, these arrangements would be fairly rare, less than 5% of marriages, but would be enough to keep single unmarried men in check keeping social havoc to a minimum.
Most provinces of China have already allowed two children, if both parents are the only child, respectively.
And no, few if any men would be happy to share their woman. It is sooo against Chinese culture.

There are a couple of issues here:
(1) "Extra men" are found in rural, poor areas only. Urban population is sexually balanced.
(2) More men and women choose not to get married than before. There are more openly gay people than before too.
(3) In China, men always "marry down". So those who can't find a woman around their age can look for someone 10 years younger, if they can be financially secured.
(4) They have already imported women from Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,373 posts, read 23,854,939 times
Reputation: 11778
They can also be sent abroad (which they are). The chinese workers in Africa are by a large majority male and sometimes they get on well enough with the local population to marry in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,337,523 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most provinces of China have already allowed two children, if both parents are the only child, respectively.
And no, few if any men would be happy to share their woman. It is sooo against Chinese culture.

There are a couple of issues here:
(1) "Extra men" are found in rural, poor areas only. Urban population is sexually balanced.
(2) More men and women choose not to get married than before. There are more openly gay people than before too.
(3) In China, men always "marry down". So those who can't find a woman around their age can look for someone 10 years younger, if they can be financially secured.
(4) They have already imported women from Vietnam.
kidnapping does not equal importing

More women kidnapped for brides
BEIJING - China is witnessing an increasing number of foreign women who have been cheated, kidnapped and smuggled into the country, a senior official has said.
Most of these women are from rural areas in Vietnam, Myanmar and Laos. They eagerly want to find jobs in China or marry rich Chinese men to escape poverty, Chen Shiqu, director of the Ministry of Public Security's anti-human trafficking office, told China Daily in an exclusive interview.
"The number of foreign women trafficked to China is definitely rising," Chen said, without disclosing how many women have been rescued by Chinese police nationally.
However, in North China's Hebei province, police have rescued 206 trafficked foreign brides since April 2009, mainly from Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia, according to figures from the provincial public security department.
More women kidnapped for brides|Top News|chinadaily.com.cn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzr6LHwLkn4

these women should chop off their chinese husband/slave owner manhood....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,373 posts, read 23,854,939 times
Reputation: 11778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
kidnapping does not equal importing

More women kidnapped for brides
BEIJING - China is witnessing an increasing number of foreign women who have been cheated, kidnapped and smuggled into the country, a senior official has said.
Most of these women are from rural areas in Vietnam, Myanmar and Laos. They eagerly want to find jobs in China or marry rich Chinese men to escape poverty, Chen Shiqu, director of the Ministry of Public Security's anti-human trafficking office, told China Daily in an exclusive interview.
"The number of foreign women trafficked to China is definitely rising," Chen said, without disclosing how many women have been rescued by Chinese police nationally.
However, in North China's Hebei province, police have rescued 206 trafficked foreign brides since April 2009, mainly from Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia, according to figures from the provincial public security department.
More women kidnapped for brides|Top News|chinadaily.com.cn


Chinese Men Buy Kidnapped Women As Wives - YouTube

these women should chop off their chinese husband/slave owner manhood....
While this is a real problem, your citing an epidemic that I doubt accounts for anything close to a majority of the number of foreign brides from southeast Asia and neither does the article say anything about what total numbers or percentage of marriages to southeast Asian women in China has to do with kidnapping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
 
6,346 posts, read 6,447,099 times
Reputation: 2910
Chinese men used to leave China and go to Southeast Asia to seek fortune, and would intermarry. As was custom back then in pretty much any place, the indigenous fathers would arrange it and probably want some kind of dowry for their daughters, or at least hoping the marriage would elevate their family socio-economic status a bit. Did those daughters always agree to go and live with the awkward foreigners? Probably not always. But I guess people back then just sort of accepted this practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,607,240 times
Reputation: 11862
Polyandry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some tribes, especially the more matriarchal ones, in Yunnan and Sichuan still practice this custom. Of course, I don't think polygamy of any kind is gonna catch on in the modern world (although in China polygamy where a man unofficially has more than one wife still occurs) and taking brides from other parts of Asia can only go so far (and is often mainly an economic arrangement) to satisfy demand, not to mention men in those countries still need women. Like in the Middle East, I think large populations of single males unable to find partners is not a good thing and can lead to unrest. I think prostitution will rise greatly. Hopefully, though, the problem will correct itself before it gets any worse as more parents realise that women have just as much opportunity as men. Like others have mentioned the problem is less the case in urban areas, which are less traditional and where the 1 child policy is actually enforced the strongest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
846 posts, read 949,306 times
Reputation: 897
As mentioned before, much of the single men are from poorer backgrounds concentrated in the rural areas. In urban areas, there are high number of single and well educated women who are not going to marry down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,337,523 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
While this is a real problem, your citing an epidemic that I doubt accounts for anything close to a majority of the number of foreign brides from southeast Asia and neither does the article say anything about what total numbers or percentage of marriages to southeast Asian women in China has to do with kidnapping.
marriages of southeast asian women in China is resulted from kidnapping and selling to farmers in china as wives....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Ontario, NY
2,733 posts, read 6,255,524 times
Reputation: 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hopefully, though, the problem will correct itself before it gets any worse as more parents realize that women have just as much opportunity as men. Like others have mentioned the problem is less the case in urban areas, which are less traditional and where the 1 child policy is actually enforced the strongest.
The problem arose because traditionally the men take care of there parents in there old age, and the parents of a women is expected to provide a dowry to her husband. If women are in much greater demand than men, I can see things changing where no dowry is required, or the husband has to pay the parents for permission to marry there daughter. The law of supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top