Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 22-year-old American woman who studied abroad in Bangkok & really fell in love with the city. I want to go back to Bangkok to work, but I am very reluctant to be an English teacher. Because I just don't like teaching & children very much.

In college I studied Environmental Science & Energy.
Is there any possibility of an American girl finding a job related to Environmental policy, Finances (I have a pretty mathematical background too), Non-profits (perhaps non-profits that are based in USA but have Bangkok branch??), Business, Energy companies, etc? I speak English fluently, but I only know conversational Thai language >__<
I would consider/prefer being an English teacher / tutor for adults (such as Wall Street Institute, etc), but I have no teaching certification.

If it is possible to find any of these jobs, what's the best route to getting such jobs?

Also, if anyone happens to be reading this & is familiar with jobs like this but for other large Asian cities - Taipei, Hong Kong, Manila, etc - I would also be interested in finding out about that!

One last note -- I would need to secure the job BEFORE moving back to Asia.
I can't just up & move there & hope to find a job. I'm not that much of a risk-taker.

~Thanks for reading~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Thailand is very strict about allowing foreigners (called "Farangs") to have jobs. Foreigners aren't allowed to take jobs that Thais would be qualified to hold. Google "Farang laws, Thailand", or "Employment for Farangs in Thailand".

Get a certification in Teaching English as a Second Language, and you can get jobs teaching English to adults in Taiwan, China, Thailand, or almost anywhere. Also check the employment ads in the Economist magazine. They list jobs abroad that are with UN agencies and other international organizations and businesses.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow4life View Post
Hi, I am a 22-year-old American woman who studied abroad in Bangkok & really fell in love with the city. I want to go back to Bangkok to work, but I am very reluctant to be an English teacher. Because I just don't like teaching & children very much.

Is there any possibility of an American girl finding a job related to Environmental policy, Finances (I have a pretty mathematical background too), Non-profits (perhaps non-profits that are based in USA but have Bangkok branch??), Business, Energy companies, etc? I speak English fluently, but I only know conversational Thai language >__<
I would consider/prefer being an English teacher / tutor for adults (such as Wall Street Institute, etc), but I have no teaching certification.

If it is possible to find any of these jobs, what's the best route to getting such jobs?

Also, if anyone happens to be reading this & is familiar with jobs like this but for other large Asian cities - Taipei, Hong Kong, Manila, etc - I would also be interested in finding out about that!

I can't just up & move there & hope to find a job. I'm not that much of a risk-taker.

~Thanks for reading~
Look up sites and forums especially geared towards English-speaking expats in Thailand. There's a lot of crap and drama on them, but it's pretty easy to weed through and get a better idea of the situation there. Oftentimes the sites also have a classifieds section that includes job postings. The best jobs for expat in East Asia are often those for branch offices of American/European multinationals though those can be harder to find--some ability with speaking the Thai language would certainly help.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow4life View Post

~Thanks for reading~
Probably would have been better to network while you were there.

Teaching English. Yep, you could do that, and you don't need any training for Bangkok. They are famous for taking 'backpacker type teachers' and paying them peanuts. Generally those types make around $500/month and they work them to death teaching. Pay is so low, they can't do much else than just go back and forth teaching. Thailand is very popular, and a never-ending stream of backpackers without money who'd do anything to stay, so end up teaching to do so. Most teachers in Thailand are very unqualified.

NGO. That's certainly a possibility. If you want a well-paid NGO job, you'd need a MA in Development or some very specific skill and degree. If you just want to 'help out', there are tons and tons and tons of NGO's always willing to take people who have money already, and just want to help out. It's doubtful you'd be paid for that though. You could probably start your own NGO and work in Thailand though. So many issues there for that, you'd just need to fundraise to get the money from somewhere else, to help get setup though.

Not knowing Thai doesn't help much for other things. But, I'd imagine the types of dream jobs you're hoping to secure, would not be easy. There could be something, but better if you networked with the resources you'd already have, to see if those things were even possible.

In short, people do manage to find stuff somehow. But, in general, your chances aren't that good of finding anything good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia