U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,680,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Then he can do the Withdrawal .
The Catholic Church does not allow that, and still thinks of that as a sin. Also it may not be as effective as other methods. The official Catholic view is to use the rhythm method or abstain. That's it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,982,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The Catholic Church does not allow that, and still thinks of that as a sin. Also it may not be as effective as other methods. The official Catholic view is to use the rhythm method or abstain. That's it!
The church also remind us to respect and love one another as a couple. So if the husband only think of himself and not showing respect to his wife then what is the purpose of their marriage if there is no more respect. lol I am sure a lot of women are not martir to stay in a guy who only think of himself. Church always remind us all the time, We should also ask ourselves if we follow those reminders.

Well like I said I am Pro-RH Bill & I am a catholic, The good thing for RH Bill is education to prevent death of the mothers
and proper knowledge on having a healthy baby and avoid getting pregnant all the time but that doesn't mean I agree on abortion, some contraceptive method are not even successful. I know a woman who used pills and it was not successful, she got pregnant and the baby was physically normal but while growing up she notice that her baby was not mentally normal due to the pills she took. So women shouldn't rely all the time in contraceptive method.

Last edited by pinai; 05-07-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,034,158 times
Quote:
they allow Symptoms-based method too. I dont think most Catholics know or care about the natural methods

Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
they allow Symptoms-based method too. I dont think most Catholics know or care about the natural methods
The reason why I am also Pro-RH Bill is that some Filipino women rely on 'manghihilot' or the ancient Filipino art of healing using Chiropractic & massage. They also rely on Albularyo or herbalist & it is usually a cheaper alternatives for them than going to medical doctors because some Filipinos still believe on the old way traditional process which is not okay because they don't have proper medical check-up and this mostly happening in the rural areas.

Some still believe of 'pinaglihi' which means if your kid was born with a defected forms they automatically think about the food that the mother crave for while she was pregnant.

I think the reason why the Catholic church is against it. It's because some might use the RH Bill in a wrong way & also concern that the government will pass other laws that will legalize those against the catholic church such as divorce and same sex marriage. RH Bill will benefit not just catholics though but also other Filipinos who are not catholics. The used of RH Bill will depend on us, it's a matter of choice & shouldn't blame anyone or even the church. Catholic church will always be Pro-Life. Filipinos shouldn't rely on RH Bill alone but also to their action that it's up to us to be responsible.

Not all Catholic Priest are against the RH Bill, some are Pro also but they don't disregard the possibility of the negative side of it specially those who will use it on the wrong way.

Last edited by pinai; 05-07-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM

17,478 posts, read 21,350,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
But majority of them r still buddhist
I totally agree! They are inherently Buddhists! What ever religion they were before Christianity was introduced there!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I totally agree! They are inherently Buddhists! What ever religion they were before Christianity was introduced there!
Some Filipino-Chinese applied both Catholicism and Buddhism, those who came earlier like 17th century or 18th century don't want to go back in China so they chose Catholicism. There's only few buddhist church, I've been to one of Chinese Buddhist temple 'Bell Church' in Baguio City out of curiosity. Buddhism in the Philippines are composed of 2% only. The Buddhist are mostly those recent immigrants but those Chinese who came to the Philippines during the 18th century or more earlier than those dates are mostly catholics already which is 70%. Those recent Filipino-Chinese estimated as 1,146,250 of the population and The Filipinos who has Chinese ancestry was estimated as 22.8 Million as of 2005.

Mangyan Blogger: Chinese Temple and the Bell Church, Baguio's hidden secret

Ongpin Street in Binondo Manila where mostly Filipino-Chinese community live

Fr. Jimmy Liao is just one of the Filipino-Chinese catholic priest in the Philippines aside late Cardinal Sin.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vdgt9l/5
Quote:
MANILA, Philippines - Can Christians adhere to traditional Chinese practices without going against their faith? A Catholic priest of Chinese ancestry thinks so, under certain conditions.

Father Jimmy Liao grew up practicing traditional customs such as burning incense and offering food for his late grandparents during their special anniversaries in the lunar calendar.

After learning more about the Catholic faith, Liao later realized that the use of incense and offering of food is like lighting candles as gestures of veneration before Jesus, the saints and even departed loved ones.

“This is part of acculturation since candles were hardly used decades ago. Yes, traditional Chinese practices can be applicable in Christian worship. Nowadays both are followed,” he said in an interview with Philstar.

Liao, who spent decades in Hong Kong and Taiwan for pastoral ministry, also thinks there is practical science behind feng shui, believed to attract positive life energies through the physical arrangement of one’s surroundings.

“The popularity of feng shui cannot be denied and the practice of this ‘living skill’ undoubtedly requires study, time, patience, and money. Certainly we can admit that feng shui always improves one's living condition,” Liao said.

Drawing the line

Liao, who as Theological Centrum executive director heads instructional activities for secular clergymen, cautioned Christians, however, not to replace belief in God’s hand with the invisible forces that feng shui is believed to direct.

“I often tell people that is allowed as long as one does not exchange it for prayer and trust in the divine providence,” he said.

Liao added that the practice is sometimes falsely seen as largely about bringing in wealth although it genuinely inspires interior and architectural design to create an impression of harmony in homes or offices.

Others, however, dismiss feng shui as mere superstition, and in some ways it may oppose Catholic teaching against superstitious beliefs and unreasonable faith in luck.

“It is not a quick magic cure because it represents only one-third of the trinity of luck: Heaven, which is what one is born with; Mankind, which is what one does with one's life; And earth, which is feng shui,” Liao explained.

Other traditional Chinese practices bordering on superstition, however, are discouraged if one wishes to be faithful to the Christian creed.

“Burning paper money is indeed superstition as the Chinese consider that the dead need some money in the other world. So, I don't practice it and discourage it among the Filipino-Chinese Catholics here in our country,” Liao said.

Of culture and creed

Liao is the first alumnus of Xavier School to become a priest since its foundation in 1956. The Jesuit-run preparatory school offers instruction specific to Chinese-Filipino boys.

He admitted, however, that it can be difficult to explain Catholic teachings to conservative Chinese who are deeply into Buddhist or Taoist beliefs.

“If they are told not to practice (some superstitions), it's like asking them to stop being Chinese and become a non-Chinese. Nonetheless, as they become more educated in Western culture and history, Christianity can then be explained to them,” he said.

As he recounted in a previous interview, Liao experienced this firsthand in explaining his decision to become a priest to his parents, who eventually understood his calling by learning more about Christianity.

Two years after his ordination as a priest in 1977, Liao baptized his late father into Catholicism with the Christian name “Josemaria” as a sign of Liao’s devotion to Saint Josemaria Escriva, known as “the saint of ordinary life.”

“[Traditional Chinese] can accept Christianity, understanding that superstitions are the result of reliance to worldly gods while they can have a more certain assurance of help from the Christian God,” he said.
http://www.philstar.com/news-feature...rve-feng-shui-

^it's like Filipino native people like the celebration of 'Sinulog Festival'
for pit senor santo nino jesus. Mixed it with Catholicism and Animism.

Last edited by pinai; 05-07-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's a huge organization of Filipino-Chinese Catholic Youth (FCCY) from
different parts of the Philippines

One Way (Mandarin) - FCCY Davao - YouTube
^Davao

FCCY Luzon- Way of Love - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBPcEF4kuv8
^ Dumaguete

Last edited by pinai; 05-08-2013 at 03:20 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,680,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
The reason why I am also Pro-RH Bill is that some Filipino women rely on 'manghihilot' or the ancient Filipino art of healing using Chiropractic & massage. They also rely on Albularyo or herbalist & it is usually a cheaper alternatives for them than going to medical doctors because some Filipinos still believe on the old way traditional process which is not okay because they don't have proper medical check-up and this mostly happening in the rural areas.

Some still believe of 'pinaglihi' which means if your kid was born with a defected forms they automatically think about the food that the mother crave for while she was pregnant.

I think the reason why the Catholic church is against it. It's because some might use the RH Bill in a wrong way & also concern that the government will pass other laws that will legalize those against the catholic church such as divorce and same sex marriage. RH Bill will benefit not just catholics though but also other Filipinos who are not catholics. The used of RH Bill will depend on us, it's a matter of choice & shouldn't blame anyone or even the church. Catholic church will always be Pro-Life. Filipinos shouldn't rely on RH Bill alone but also to their action that it's up to us to be responsible.

Not all Catholic Priest are against the RH Bill, some are Pro also but they don't disregard the possibility of the negative side of it specially those who will use it on the wrong way.
The RH bill has nothing to do with divorce or same-sex marriage. For the Catholic church to interfere in the policies of the entire nation using such reasoning is just odd. The CBCP is the final mouthpiece of the church in the Philippines. No Catholic priest dare say anything contrary to their official views, so there may be Catholic priests somewhere out there who are pro-RH, but they are probably few of them and none air their views against the CBCP in public.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
The RH bill has nothing to do with divorce or same-sex marriage. For the Catholic church to interfere in the policies of the entire nation using such reasoning is just odd. The CBCP is the final mouthpiece of the church in the Philippines. No Catholic priest dare say anything contrary to their official views, so there may be Catholic priests somewhere out there who are pro-RH, but they are probably few of them and none air their views against the CBCP in public.
If you are a catholic you will understand what the CBCP stands for, I may be a Pro-RH Bill but I understand their point of view. You have to listen on both side to understand, that is why a lot of Filipinos are divided on this issue.

The Youth, The RH Bill and Humanae Vitae - YouTube
^for them they said RH Bill promotes Filipino Irresponsible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP86seVMiJg
Both Pro and Anti point of view

Last edited by pinai; 05-08-2013 at 06:12 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,784,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think it is mostly the poor... They do not have other recreations to keep them busy so it's all they have in mind. They should have other things to do instead of just thinking about intimacy all the time.
So you think thats all they think about? How ridiculous. My girl friend is there in the Philippines, her sister has only one child, thats all they will have, he is about 11 now. She is poor but smart enough to realize if you have trouble feeding yourself having several kids only makes life harder for both the parents and the kids. So its about responsibility and having some common sense. Her brother and wife had a child and its been very hard for them. Her sister was so mad they did not wait and consider the costs of having a child. Public healthcare is not good at all there either. Its not like over here with medicaid and people getting good care for themselves and their kids.

The church can preach about it and say distributing condoms is not right, of course they are not the ones very poor, and trying to take care of the children. The church isn't being any help with a 19th century stance on birth control. Yes, they do still have a lot of power, and I have no idea how they could still be so powerful with scandal after scandal for years and years. It's completely a do as I say not as I do thing with them.

Abortion is not legal there but there are people that do it. I knew a gal that met a guy from Australia, what a slime he was, anyway he got her pregnant and she didn't know what to do. She was actually thinking of killing herself. In the end the slime came back but rather than marry her, they found a place and she had an abortion. She learned a lesson the hard way. I lost touch with her, she was going to college for IT, so I hope she was able to get a job. She was a real romantic and was just looking for true love. Its too bad she found someone like that creep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia