U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
yes, that is the reason why the church is totally against it and we don't want our country to be
so liberated. We still wanted to keep the values and morality.

^implementing proper dress code is just one of the changes. because a lot of
Filipinos forget that they will attend the church and not a fashion show or lol beach party
because showing some sexy attire provoke sin and we're praying 'Our Father'
that saying to keep us away from sin.

Well a lot of Filipinos are stubborn, simple rules they do not follow anymore.

Like for example this big sign it says 'DO NOT PASS' showing where they can pass
and it's already in Filipino language to understand.
I don't like looking at Filipina women coming to church in slippers too. Filipinos are so lazy to dress up when going to church. For me, my Father raised me and my siblings with the idea that " We should always be in our Sunday Best when we go to Church. In the Philippines, majority of the Filipino women that I see in the church just wears T- shirts, jeans and slippers. I think they should atleast strive to wear something different in church and not wear something that they also wear when they just go to the market or the mall.
I have a friend whose religion is Iglesia ni Cristo ( Iglesia de Cristo ) and for her, she cannot go to church wearing jeans or any kinds of trousers. She really wears a dress every Sunday. Filipino Catholics do not have this requirement. For me, I prefer if women really wear a dress when they go to mass. Men should also dress decently in the church.
Here in China, it is a very different system. The Catholic church here is very conservative when it comes to showing the arms. When you take the communion wearing sleeveless shirts, they would cover a veil on your shoulders and arms. But they do not care if you show some legs because most of the time, the Chinese women are always in their mini skirts that almost show the butts but no one ever covers their legs when they take the communion. I am always tempted to tell the church servers to cover their legs too because it doesn't look good that their butts can almost be seen when they take the communion. And they care so much to cover the arms when showing the butt is much worse than seeing the arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't like looking at Filipina women coming to church in slippers too. Filipinos are so lazy to dress up when going to church. For me, my Father raised me and my siblings with the idea that " We should always be in our Sunday Best when we go to Church. In the Philippines, majority of the Filipino women that I see in the church just wears T- shirts, jeans and slippers. I think they should atleast strive to wear something different in church and not wear something that they also wear when they just go to the market or the mall.
I have a friend whose religion is Iglesia ni Cristo ( Iglesia de Cristo ) and for her, she cannot go to church wearing jeans or any kinds of trousers. She really wears a dress every Sunday. Filipino Catholics do not have this requirement. For me, I prefer if women really wear a dress when they go to mass. Men should also dress decently in the church.
Here in China, it is a very different system. The Catholic church here is very conservative when it comes to showing the arms. When you take the communion wearing sleeveless shirts, they would cover a veil on your shoulders and arms. But they do not care if you show some legs because most of the time, the Chinese women are always in their mini skirts that almost show the butts but no one ever covers their legs when they take the communion. I am always tempted to tell the church servers to cover their legs too because it doesn't look good that their butts can almost be seen when they take the communion. And they care so much to cover the arms when showing the butt is much worse than seeing the arms.

thats nothing....in new york some people were caught having sex in church
Philippines is far more conservative then the west....maybe its a asian thing

Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
thats nothing....in new york some people were caught having sex in church
Philippines is far more conservative then the west....maybe its a asian thing
I don't think it has something to do on asian. Filipino old catholics used to wear in a modest way when they go to church. You don't see Filipina wearing pants before & they all dress up below the knee or wearing their Filipinianas & covered their head with veil.

http://tinypic.com/r/35hmwb5/5

Last edited by pinai; 05-10-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I have friends that also belong to 'Iglesia ni Cristo', she invited me one time so I went & pants is not allowed for female and they have to seat separate from the men. I was also invited to attend the 'Seventh Adventist Church' and it's also the same dress code. The Born Again Christian is almost similar to Christian Catholics that female can wear jeans & I was also invited there too for bible study but they asked me if I want to join but I refuse I'm happy being a Catholic and they respect my decision they're still my friends at least I have idea on other religious group.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 AM

9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
The Philippines needs more Catholic Cardinals. It is a shame that a nation with so many practicing Catholics has one while European nations where only ten percent or so of the people go to Mass regularly have a lot more!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:15 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,580,472 times
As a local, I think it's very possible for the Philippines to have a Quebec-style quiet revolution - and one that might come far sooner than expected... Especially if the Church continues to act too arrogantly - as exemplified by their nonsensical opposition to the RH bill. In fact, I know quiet a number of folks who could be regarded by the Church as "heretical", myself included...

Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
^ Not Quebec style, because that would mean that they would become athiests. I dont see that happening at all. Filipinos are waaaay too spiritual. It's far more likely that they'll just switch to other Christian denominations, or if they drop Christianity (unlikely), they'll continue believing in folk religion

Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Philippines needs more Catholic Cardinals. It is a shame that a nation with so many practicing Catholics has one while European nations where only ten percent or so of the people go to Mass regularly have a lot more!
I think we only have one Cardinal at a time. I don't know how it works in other countries but isn't it the same for all ?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Not Quebec style, because that would mean that they would become athiests. I dont see that happening at all. Filipinos are waaaay too spiritual. It's far more likely that they'll just switch to other Christian denominations, or if they drop Christianity (unlikely), they'll continue believing in folk religion
The Quebecois, in the then contemporary literature, were often described as an extremely religious people where the Catholic Church held immense sway in all facets of life.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Quebecois, in the then contemporary literature, were often described as an extremely religious people where the Catholic Church held immense sway in all facets of life.
Maybe they were religious in the Catholic sense, but Filipinos are deeply spiritual, not just religious. It goes beyond traditional Catholicism because a lot of the stuff they do and believe is not even sanctioned by the Church. So it's clear that in a lot of ways they're very spiritual but not even in the Catholic sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia