U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,586,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Not Quebec style, because that would mean that they would become athiests. I dont see that happening at all. Filipinos are waaaay too spiritual. It's far more likely that they'll just switch to other Christian denominations, or if they drop Christianity (unlikely), they'll continue believing in folk religion
My impression of Quebec-style Quiet Revolution is the Catholic Church losing sway over the country, a perfect possibility considering how the Church is overstepping its boundaries and the public are getting sick of that. End of story. That's basically why I phrased my response that way. Nonetheless, we both probably should consult native Quebecers to see if our understanding of the Quiet Revolution is correct, but that's for another thread.

However, you do have a good argument in saying that you don't see the Philippines becoming majority atheist in our lifetime. The belief in a higher power is really strong and deeply-rooted here - and even I personally have that myself (I'm nominally Catholic but I don't really practice much of its sacraments nor care too much for its doctrines anyway, and I strongly supported the RH Bill). But then again I do know a number of folks in my circle who are either agnostics, atheists, or totally indifferent to the notion of organized religion as well. Just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 05-13-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,980,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
My impression of Quebec-style Quiet Revolution is the Catholic Church losing sway over the country, a perfect possibility considering how the Church is overstepping its boundaries and the public are getting sick of that. End of story. That's basically why I phrased my response that way.

However, you do have a good argument that you don't see the Philippines becoming majority atheist in our lifetime. The belief in a higher power is really strong and deeply-rooted here - and even I personally have that myself. But then again I do know a number of folks in my circle who are either agnostics, atheists, or totally indifferent to the notion of organized religion as well. Just my two cents on the matter.
There's still a lot who are so religious than atheist & that's for sure. The only thing that I don't like is that some groups wanted to pull down other's religion and put their religion as better. I guess this is also part of Filipino tradition. (Crab Mentality?)

Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,586,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
There's still a lot who are so religious than atheist & that's for sure. The only thing that I don't like is that some groups wanted to pull down other's religion and put their religion as better. I guess this is also part of Filipino tradition. (Crab Mentality?)
Which is why I acknowledged Smtchll's argument regarding the Philippines not turning atheist as a whole anytime soon...

Ahhh, the crab mentality that's been the bane of Philippine culture. What makes it worse is the fact we apply it in the wrong places.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 9,468,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think we only have one Cardinal at a time. I don't know how it works in other countries but isn't it the same for all ?

Italy has more Cardinals than any other nation - 48 of them!

College of Cardinals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,679,124 times
Quote:
I think we only have one Cardinal at a time. I don't know how it works in other countries but isn't it the same for all ?
The Philippines has 3 cardinals, but only one (Cardinal Tagle) was eligible in the last Conclave to vote, the other 2 (Cardinal Rosales and Cardinal Vidal) being older than 80 years old. In the 2005 Conclave, there were two eligible Filipino cardinal electors, but Jaime Cardinal Sin was too ill to go. I think there were a total of 3 cardinals at that time as well, but one was over 80 years old and not eligible to vote. Anyway, still a very low number compared to the number of Catholics in the Philippines.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,871,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Italy has more Cardinals than any other nation - 48 of them!

College of Cardinals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a country that is considered no. 3 most catholic country in the world, I don't know why we only have 3.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 9,468,861 times
Quote:
For a country that is considered no. 3 most catholic country in the world, I don't know why we only have 3.

I guess the European bias in the Vatican is hard to change. Considering what is happening in those traditionally Catholic nations in Europe (abortion, same-sex phony marriage), they shouldn't have so much influence.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM

22,327 posts, read 23,811,236 times
The comments for this article sometimes have a good point or two:

Philippines cemetery provides Manila's poor a place to live among the dead | World news | The Guardian

Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,980,691 times
^It is only in Manila that people lives in cemetery, outside Manila those who live in the cemetery is usually those gravedigger/caretakers 'Supulturero'. These are the illegal settlers in Manila. You can also see some of them live under the bridge in Manila or next to a railways.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,679,124 times
^ It's not only Manila that has these problems. Some very small islands already have severe population problems:
Caubian: An Island Under Siege Pt. 1 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia