U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM

9,549 posts, read 9,423,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I am a catholic but i am PRO Reproductive Bill. I don't blame church regarding the over population because it's US who are to blame. We have a WILL to think of what is right and what is wrong. for me on my own opinion if I know that I couldn't afford to raise a child why should I have more children. This is the problem with people who are into poverty and they don't have job. They multiply and do not even think about it.

That's why lol we have all brains to use and think.

How is the United States responsible for the Phillippines' supposed overpopulation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,970,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How is the United States responsible for the Phillippines' supposed overpopulation?
What? I didn't say US as in United States. i said US as in us, Filipinos.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philippines is 12th in population, not 43rd.

I agree the Church is only part of the story. I think growth rates are finally slowing in Latin America, Phils will probably follow suit. Muslim nations are more of a worry frankly, like Bangladesh.
Bangladesh has a MUCH lower fertility rate than the Philippines does. 2.24 children per woman, barely more than the replacement rate of 2.1. The Philippines has a fertility rate of 3.14. Bangladesh is well on track to stabilizing its population and doesn't have sufficiently strong resistance to this from any religious interests (same goes for Iran btw, the Islamic Republic has great family planning services). It's Pakistan where the situation is quite worrisome and where concern should be directed. It can't even handle its current level of population and is on the brink of becoming a failed state, 100 million more hungry mouths to feed with no prospects and no strong central government to get the economy on track is going to mean severe instability.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 03-01-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,671,358 times
The Reproductive Health Bill was just enacted to become the Reproductive Health Act two months ago. It's been introduced late due to opposition by the Catholic church. It's probably the start of that "quiet revolution", but revolution is probably too strong a word. Some Filipinos who don't agree with the Catholic church convert to various Protestant denominations. Their numbers are increasing, with Manny Pacquiao one of the more prominent recent converts. Some Catholic Filipinos continue with their own opinions and just ignore certain teachings they don't agree with.

IMO, the Roman Catholic church is responsible for some of the overpopulation in the Philippines due to their insistence on no artificial birth control and other beliefs. The priests demonize birth control to the point that I actually met teenage girls who got pregnant saying they did not use condoms because it's against Catholic teachings! It's too late to remind them that it's also against Catholic teachings to have pre-marital sex

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,470,374 times
Quote:
Churches should not only be able to preach about right and wrong, they have a duty to do so!

As far as dense populations go, do you think Singapore and Hong Kong have lots of open spaces for growing all their rice?
They can preach but they should not get involved in politics, IMO. The church has enough on its plate with all the scandals, they should focus on cleaning house.
What does rice growing in Sing and HK have to do with discussion? Or the lack thereof.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 PM

22,169 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
Churches should not only be able to preach about right and wrong, they have a duty to do so!

As far as dense populations go, do you think Singapore and Hong Kong have lots of open spaces for growing all their rice?
I'm not saying legally binding the church to anything--I'm asking if it's likely the population in general, as was in Quebec, fed up with the primacy of the Church so they no longer heed it (so it has less sway in influencing politics) and that attendance/donations go down so it loses its economic clout as well. If that happens, then the Church, as it had to in Quebec, had to end up moderating itself and its views in order to retain at least some of its position in society.

Dense population isn't just it--that's ridiculous. The issue is massive population growth and whether or not the country can maintain or improve the quality of life in the face of that population growth. Singapore and Hong Kong also have very secular societies with almost no conservative religious forces at play.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,671,358 times
I don't think that the Philippines is going to be the same as Quebec. While the Roman Catholic Church is losing members in terms of percentage, the current population growth rate is still fast enough that church membership is actually still increasing. The church influence is still too strong. The secular influences in Quebec are much stronger, with the rest of Canada and France being very secular. I think though that the Roman Catholic church sees the Philippines and some areas in Latin America as almost their last bastions. They have no other choice but to effect more changes or the Vatican's influence in the world will just keep on waning. Not sure what the next pope is going to do (we don't even know who that will be), but I think that this surely is one of the issues that needs to be addressed.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 AM

57 posts, read 86,086 times
Before you criticize the Catholic Church in the Philippines, remember that it was the Church that stepped in to orchestrate the popular revolution in the 1980s, that forced the brutal Marcos dictatorship out of power while at the same time avoiding a bloody civil war. This was a heroic humanitarian achievement that gets little historical attention.

Last edited by iuyno; 03-03-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM

57 posts, read 86,086 times
Another little known historical fact is that Mexico and the Catholic Church were at war with each other from 1917 to 1934, when 90% if all priests were driven out of the country and 40 were killed. To this day, churches in Mexico are not allowed to own or operate schools, there is no religious instructions in any schools, churches cannot own radio or TV stations, and religious worship services are prohibited in public place outside the church.

In spite of this, Mexico still has the second largest Catholic population in the world, half the people still go to church every Sunday, and many Mexican laws reflect RC influence, including a nearly total ban on abortion.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
Before you criticize the Catholic Church in the Philippines, remember that it was the Church that stepped in to orchestrate the popular revolution in the 1980s, that forced the brutal Marcos dictatorship out of power while at the same time avoiding a bloody civil war. This was a heroic humanitarian achievement that gets little historical attention.
The church has done both good and bad things. People can criticize it for the things its done wrong and praise it for the things it did right.

Anti Marcos assistance: Yay church

Insistence on no birth control: Boo church.

Its odd that priests who cant marry and have families give advice on family planning (or lack of it). You'll see poor families who can barely feed one child have multiple kids.. now thats a travesty. I'd be ok with the church advocating for no birth control if they agreed to house/feed the children the poor folks can't afford.. doubt they would offer to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia