U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM

9,522 posts, read 9,402,418 times

Advertisements

How much influence does the Aglipayan Church have in the Phillippines?

Philippine Independent Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iglesia Filipina Independiente - Wikipedia, ang malayang ensiklopedya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
^ Not much, I think

But the Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ) is everywhere. If you didn't know any better you might think that it was the main religion in the Philippines just by the amount of churches. It was also founded in the Philippines

Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,470 times
It seems to me that Evangelical churches are gaining popularity and converts from RCC in the Philippines. What attracts these people to be born-again Christians?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,402,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^
But the Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ) is everywhere. If you didn't know any better you might think that it was the main religion in the Philippines just by the amount of churches. It was also founded in the Philippines

It holds some doctrines that are outside of mainstream Protestantism.

Iglesia ni Cristo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iglesia ni Cristo - Wikipedia, ang malayang ensiklopedya

Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So does the Church of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons).

Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
It seems to me that Evangelical churches are gaining popularity and converts from RCC in the Philippines. What attracts these people to be born-again Christians?
Promises of salvation and eternal life? The doctrines are not that different, and the evangelical churches have a way of embracing new converts, including supporting them with their problems, pray for/with them, etc. The Catholic church is a bit ritualistic in some ways. Some people think the religion made them better people. Anyway, in the Philippines, if you don't like it, you can always go back to your previous religion or find a new one. Just be aware that official doctrine in evangelical churches is 10% tithe.

Last edited by GoldenTiger; 03-06-2013 at 01:53 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Evangelical Christianity is just easier. You just believe and you're going to heaven, no matter what; past, present, and even future sins dont matter. It's not like that in Catholicism. However, it seems that Evangelicals are a lot more strict. So even though they dont believe you have to do anything to go to heaven, they still have a lot of rules. Catholics seem more lax in comparison

Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Before the Spanish were there for 300 years, along with the U.S. for 50 years, what religion were the Philippino's practicing back then?

Whatever it was, IMO, that's what they still are to this day, inherently!

I've worked with Philippino's for over a decade now, in the health care industry, and what do I see in these people? A strong flavor of Buddism!

And in Mexico, it's no different! Before the Spanish, what were they then and what are they still today!!!

It would be so beneficial if they went back to their roots!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philippines is 12th in population, not 43rd.

I agree the Church is only part of the story. I think growth rates are finally slowing in Latin America, Phils will probably follow suit. Muslim nations are more of a worry frankly, like Bangladesh.
The fertility rates are falling all over the world, save some Middle Eastern/African countries, and the Philippines will follow suit as well, one way or another. If Catholic Mexico's fertility rate can drop down to 2.0, or Catholic Brazil's rate to 1.9, so will the Philippines eventually, abortion rights or no abortion rights!

Let's not forget there's a sizeable Chinese element to the Philippines, as well as the Philipino's, and try and tell the Chinese whether or not they can have an abortion or not!

When I talk to the legal Philipino's at work, they dream of the day they retire there and live like kings and queens, banking on the fact that the population there will grow unrestrainedly, and they hip-hip and hurray about their getting a $5 massage while over there, and the cheap domestic help! IMO, I don't think their "calculators" are working very well!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Not much, I think

Iglesia ni Cristo founder was a former catholic. I actually, respect all religion groups in the Philippines. Although, I just notice it is requirement that they have to give money everytime you go to hear the mass.
They have actually nice churches too. They have this project 'Philippine Arena'.

I don't know if it's true. they have to vote the same people whoever their leader choose, that's why a lot of politician are trying to get the Iglesia ni Cristo leader's vote so they can get the rest of their Iglesia ni Cristo followers. They have this bloc voting system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cvjdU-iXU
^there is no subtitle lol. but they are discussing about
the bloc voting system.

Last edited by pinai; 04-03-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia