Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I am a catholic but i am PRO Reproductive Bill. I don't blame church regarding the over population because it's US who are to blame. We have a WILL to think of what is right and what is wrong. for me on my own opinion if I know that I couldn't afford to raise a child why should I have more children. This is the problem with people who are into poverty and they don't have job. They multiply and do not even think about it.

That's why lol we have all brains to use and think.
I think it is mostly the poor... They do not have other recreations to keep them busy so it's all they have in mind. They should have other things to do instead of just thinking about intimacy all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Let's not forget there's a sizeable Chinese element to the Philippines, as well as the Philipino's, and try and tell the Chinese whether or not they can have an abortion or not!

But many Chinese Filipinos are Catholic. The late Cardinal Jaime Sin was one.

Chinese Filipino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Phillippines are a hodgepodge of different peoples with different languages and cultures. My guess is that people who emigrate from the Phillipines to other nations mostly tend to be from a few ethnic groups.

Category:Ethnic groups in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kategorya:Mga pangkat etniko ng Pilipinas - Wikipedia, ang malayang ensiklopedya

Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't think that the Philippines is going to be the same as Quebec. While the Roman Catholic Church is losing members in terms of percentage, the current population growth rate is still fast enough that church membership is actually still increasing. The church influence is still too strong. The secular influences in Quebec are much stronger, with the rest of Canada and France being very secular. I think though that the Roman Catholic church sees the Philippines and some areas in Latin America as almost their last bastions. They have no other choice but to effect more changes or the Vatican's influence in the world will just keep on waning. Not sure what the next pope is going to do (we don't even know who that will be), but I think that this surely is one of the issues that needs to be addressed.
Effect more changes ? Like what ?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The church has done both good and bad things. People can criticize it for the things its done wrong and praise it for the things it did right.

Anti Marcos assistance: Yay church

Insistence on no birth control: Boo church.

Its odd that priests who cant marry and have families give advice on family planning (or lack of it). You'll see poor families who can barely feed one child have multiple kids.. now thats a travesty. I'd be ok with the church advocating for no birth control if they agreed to house/feed the children the poor folks can't afford.. doubt they would offer to do that.
How can the church support birth control using contraceptives if it is againts the Catholic teachings ? They cannot just impose something like that in the Philippines ( because of the growing population ) while going againts the Catholic teachings. The church encourages Calendar method, that's the only natural way accepted by the church.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Before the Spanish were there for 300 years, along with the U.S. for 50 years, what religion were the Philippino's practicing back then?

Whatever it was, IMO, that's what they still are to this day, inherently!

I've worked with Philippino's for over a decade now, in the health care industry, and what do I see in these people? A strong flavor of Buddism!

And in Mexico, it's no different! Before the Spanish, what were they then and what are they still today!!!

It would be so beneficial if they went back to their roots!
We are happy being Catholics !

Buddism ? Where is that ? We don't have that in the Philippines. There might be some Chinese Temples but they're found in just few places. Filipinos are mostly Catholics. We are no.3 most catholic country in the world after Brasil and Mexico.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-03-2013 at 02:05 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
The fertility rates are falling all over the world, save some Middle Eastern/African countries, and the Philippines will follow suit as well, one way or another. If Catholic Mexico's fertility rate can drop down to 2.0, or Catholic Brazil's rate to 1.9, so will the Philippines eventually, abortion rights or no abortion rights!

Let's not forget there's a sizeable Chinese element to the Philippines, as well as the Philipino's, and try and tell the Chinese whether or not they can have an abortion or not!

When I talk to the legal Philipino's at work, they dream of the day they retire there and live like kings and queens, banking on the fact that the population there will grow unrestrainedly, and they hip-hip and hurray about their getting a $5 massage while over there, and the cheap domestic help! IMO, I don't think their "calculators" are working very well!
Most of the Chinese people in the Philippines are already Catholics... I even know so many Chinese Filipinos who are very active in the church.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Most of the Chinese people in the Philippines are already Catholics... I even know so many Chinese Filipinos who are very active in the church.
But majority of them r still buddhist

Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
But majority of them r still buddhist
You are from the province... I don't think the Chinese live there, so how can you say that ? majority of them live in the city... Almost all of them who live in the downtown Iloilo are all Catholics.There are even so many who are in Catholic schools. The Chinese in the Philippines are already almost Filipinos in ways and in religion.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
You are from the province... I don't think the Chinese live there, so how can you say that ? majority of them live in the city... Almost all of them who live in the downtown Iloilo are all Catholics.There are even so many who are in Catholic schools. The Chinese in the Philippines are already almost Filipinos in ways and in religion.
I temporarily lived in manila as well before i moved to the usa

Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Buddhists population in the Philippines is only 1 %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia