U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:58 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,977,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
It's seen in the media. Honestly, I wish they's stop putting transgenders on tv and in the movies, because those transgenders are influencing the young ones. I already saw a lot who are still around 10 years old and they already move, walk and talk like those famous transgender celebrities on tv.
Media influence a lot specially for the youth. I guess the Philippines is the only country that put parental guidance on TV Screen? or other countries also do the same? but I'm sure a lot also do not follow those guidelines.

Last edited by pinai; 05-04-2013 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,866,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Vice Ganda is not transgender though, I remember they asked him if he wants a sex exchange lol
and he doesn't want to. A lot are actually asking why there are so many gays in the Philippines lol..
I guess because there's more female population haha..bakit nga ba?
Because they are so accepted. It's the only country I know where the loud gays really have so much participation on tv and in the movies. So young children get more and more influenced as they think it is okay to be like those loud gays on tv.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah like Vice Ganda. One of the most famous people in the Philippines.

Vice Ganda pokes fun at Charo Santos-Concio - YouTube

I cant imagine that happening in any Western country. Maybe Brazil
Exactly like Vice Ganda... She's so loud and I know more and more children would want to be like him.

I heard Brazil also have loud gays but I haven't really seen in their novelas.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM

9,574 posts, read 9,457,078 times
I sympathize with the Filipino people because I am a Catholic living in the United States. My religion is always criticized by others, Catholic and non-Catholic alike. Some people talk like the Catholic Church is the worst thing in the world. Yes, many Catholics have done bad things, including priests and nuns. That doesn't mean that every Catholic is evil or stupid. I know a lot of people who claim to be Catholic who don't practice what the church preaches. That doesn't mean they are right and the Pope and priests are wrong. Like someone else said, there are others in the Philippines who aren't Catholic. There are Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, atheists, etc. It is not a crime to practice some other religion besides Catholicism in the Philippines.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,977,526 times
This is one of the tradition that I like being a Catholic Filipino

All Saints Day in the Philippines - YouTube
^we don't forget the deceased family members &
we considered the All Souls and Saints day as family get together.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Media influence a lot specially for the youth. I guess the Philippines is the only country that put parental guidance on TV Screen? or other countries also do the same? but I'm sure a lot also do not follow those guidelines.

The United States has a television ratings system.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I sympathize with the Filipino people because I am a Catholic living in the United States. My religion is always criticized by others, Catholic and non-Catholic alike. Some people talk like the Catholic Church is the worst thing in the world. Yes, many Catholics have done bad things, including priests and nuns. That doesn't mean that every Catholic is evil or stupid. I know a lot of people who claim to be Catholic who don't practice what the church preaches. That doesn't mean they are right and the Pope and priests are wrong. Like someone else said, there are others in the Philippines who aren't Catholic. There are Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, atheists, etc. It is not a crime to practice some other religion besides Catholicism in the Philippines.
Hi Mouldy Old Schmo. When Pope Benedict was elected in 2005, American newscasters ( mostly CNN ) were all talking about the Vatican and that there should be changes with the Catholic doctrines. 2 months ago, when Pope Francis was elected, American newscasters were talking about it again and saying " will the new Pope do some changes with the Catholic doctrines" . I think it's only the American newscasters mostly talking about doing some changes, what is your stand about this ?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM

It is an old story - living by the flesh as opposed to living by the Holy Spirit.

How is the Aglipayan church doing? Don't they have what "liberal" Catholics want?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It is an old story - living by the flesh as opposed to living by the Holy Spirit.

How is the Aglipayan church doing? Don't they have what "liberal" Catholics want?
I don't really know much about Aglipayan church. Yes you are right. The Aglipayan as well as the Anglican in the States have what liberal Catholics want... They shouldn't be asking for reforms anymore, just switch to another religion right ?

Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,676,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Have you been to Spain or Italy ir Portugal ? I assume you haven't. Do not compare Spain to the Philippines. I assume you are not Catholic by the way you speak. The catholic faith in the Philippines and the Catholic faith in Spain are very incomparable. Though the Spanish were the ones who introduced Catholic faith to the Filipinos, Filipinos are way more religious than them. You go to their Churches there and you hardly see young people. The only time you would see young people in a religious festivity there is during Semana Santa ( Holy Week ) That is not the same thing in the Philippines. Philippine churches are filled with people of all ages and most of the time, you cannot even see a vacant place when you get a liitle late. It is not like that in Europe.
Don't make a big deal about Divorce ??? You are not really a Catholic to say something like this. Marriage is a SACRED union between a man and a woman joined by God. Non catholics may not give importance to this because they do not believe in God. But for Catholics, they respect the Lord. I don't know about European countries that are catholics, but most of the Catholics in Europe ( younger ones ) do not really practice their faith any more. That's what makes them different from Filipinos.
Americans and other people who are not Catholics cannot ask for changes in the Catholic doctrines because these doctrines are preserved for years. Muslims do not ask for any changes too right ? Because they have so much respect for their religion.

There were issues about priests abusing children in the States but those were crimes committed by individuals and I guess most of them got expelled.
You think these issues were not a burden for the Catholic church especially to the Holy Father ? These issues were one of the biggest burdens in the Catholic church.
I've been to Italy, to the most Catholic of all places, the Vatican and Assisi. I am aware of the differences between piousness in the Philippines and in Europe where the churches are tourist attractions more than anything else. I am aware that Catholic doctrines have been there for ages, but you do know that most early popes were married and that the tradition of celibate clergy was introduced much later in the Catholic religion, right? Anyway, I do not think that they can change their doctrines overnight. But it's just the CBCP should be more apolitical rather than focus their energy on threatening politicians who vote for the RH bill. Separation of church and state should be maintained. The CBCP should not be trying to impose its doctrines to the entire country. The people have the right to know what birth control methods are available, and that these methods are available if people think they need these. The role of the church is to preach to their own flock to abide by the church's rules by their own choice. If the Catholic church can prevent teenage pregnancy by asking young people to abstain from pre-marital sex, well and good! But I find it extremely hypocritical for priests who are supposedly celibate to preach to married men not to use condoms with their own wives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia