U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM

864 posts, read 1,433,997 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Tokyo personally but am very interested in visiting. I was wondering if anyone who has been there thinks it is comparable to Manhattan in the general ambience. I know there are obviously cultural differences; I'm just wondering if people think it's similar in a broad sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
I haven't been, but seen lots of videos/photos of it. I think both feel extremely grand and busy, Tokyo probably even busier/crowded than NYC. Tokyo feels more sleek, futuristic, with less history, while NYC is still characterised by a lot of 20th century buildings, like the neo-Gothic classics like the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center and Chrysler Building. NYC is obviously a lot more multicultural, and I think has a grittier feel. The Tokyo subway is probably super clean and shiny while the NYC subway still has that grit to it.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 AM

864 posts, read 1,433,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I haven't been, but seen lots of videos/photos of it. I think both feel extremely grand and busy, Tokyo probably even busier/crowded than NYC. Tokyo feels more sleek, futuristic, with less history, while NYC is still characterised by a lot of 20th century buildings, like the neo-Gothic classics like the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center and Chrysler Building. NYC is obviously a lot more multicultural, and I think has a grittier feel. The Tokyo subway is probably super clean and shiny while the NYC subway still has that grit to it.
From what you described Tokyo might be a bit more to my taste. I am not any kind of history buff and am much more progressive.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
From what you described Tokyo might be a bit more to my taste. I am not any kind of history buff and am much more progressive.
Well they're so different that I think both are must-see cities. Tokyo is a city that's been destroyed several times, so very little of it's original infrastructure remains.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM

12,606 posts, read 15,066,993 times
I have been to both, but it has been more than 10 years since I have been to NYC though.
Both are world class cosmopolitan cities. NYC feels a bit grittier, while Tokyo is cleaner.
NYC in some areas has a gruff nature about it, while most Japanese in Tokyo are polite. NYC is much more multi-cultural than Tokyo is.

If you haven't been to Tokyo, I would definitely take a trip. Summer (can be humid) and early fall (Oct and Nov) are the best times to visit, I have found.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM

465 posts, read 737,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I haven't been, but seen lots of videos/photos of it. I think both feel extremely grand and busy, Tokyo probably even busier/crowded than NYC.
I actually found Tokyo to be less busy/crowded than NYC, and more spread out.

Tokyo is a multinodal city, and is kind of a mix between in LA and NYC. Like LA, it has a variety of activity centers, and not one main "core". But like NYC, most of the main activity centers are in a general area (in Tokyo, the Yamamote Loop) and it's very transit-oriented (probably even moreso than NYC).

The areas right next to train stations in Tokyo are extremely dense and busy, though they aren't super high density like in Manhattan. But you can go two blocks away and be in these narrow streets with single family homes and the like. It's kinda weird, and hard to describe if you're used to North American or European urban contexts.

But Tokyo is HUGE, make no mistake. I don't think it ever feels as intense as the very busiest areas of Manhattan, though.

Regarding "relative newness", Tokyo feels newer than NYC, but doesn't really feel "new". The biggest growth decades in Tokyo were the 60's and 70's, so you see tons of buildings from that area. It doesn't feel "new" like parts of Seoul or Shanghai or wherever.

The subway is newer than NYC, but not "new". It feels like 50's/60's feel, and is kind of simple and unadorned. It looks maybe like the postwar subway systems in Germany or wherever, or maybe like Toronto or Mexico City (maybe a bit newer and nicer than Toronto, which has kind of a dilapidated system). But Tokyo Metro does not feel all super-modern and shiny like in Hong Kong or Seoul.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM

420 posts, read 710,736 times
Recently went to Tokyo and I live in NYC. Yes, Tokyo feels very much like NYC to me in terms of scale, individuality and cosmopolitanism amongst its homogenous population.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Interesting insight PA born. So you think NYC is more dense/crowded in parts than Tokyo? Interesting. The pictures of some of the crowds in Tokyo look to rival NYC. Times Square can be pretty much chock-a-block bumping shoulders though.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 PM

956 posts, read 1,547,698 times
But in terms of the "overall feel," I'd pick Shanghai as the asian version of NYC(esp. with regards to the architecture/skyscrapers)

Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,875,955 times
Shinjuku is the Tokyo version of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia