U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,055,205 times

Advertisements

This is all a great help so thank you everyone.

Sidebar: the Korean language is changing again and is returning to the use of Chinese characters. Young people today are getting a better education in that respect. The goal it seems , is to reach a number of Chinese characters upon high school graduation that would be about the same as the Japanese Jouyou list or about 3250 plus. Many Korean scholars are in agreement with this as they believe it will facilitate reading. If you watch Korean TV you will certainly have noticed that they are using more Chinese characters on TV and in a lot of advertising.

The system(s) used to romanize Korean are the most impractical of the East Asian language so it is probably better to start right out with learning Korean phonetic script. This is why I asked about learning bopomofo un the study of Chinese but I can see the sense of avoiding that step and using pinyin unless one is going to delve more deeply into the learning of Chinese. My plan is only to use it to find the Chinese pronunciation of selected classical texts that I first studied in Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes i notice my mother and others say words with sh in them like 'shan', like 'san.'
The funny thing is that they'll often put a sh in words that shouldn't have them, when trying to speak 'standard' Mandarin, for instance they will pronounce 雨傘 as 'yushan'.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,141,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
It's easier and recommended to learn the Hanyu Pinyin system used in the mainland (as it uses the Latin alphabet).
Do mainland schoolkids really learn Pinyin [at first] at school? If they do, when do they switch to learning simplified Chinese?

And, how widespread is Pinyin in the mainland? I have hard time comprehending this statement, as all I see is Chinese characters in images from China (street signs), as well as news/newspapers?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Pinyin is used from primary school to teach standard pronounciation, since there are so many regional dialects. Characters are introduced a little later, but it is fairly simultaneous. By mid elementary, they transition out of pinyin, but it is still used to introduce certain new vocabulary, and most official dictionaries use it, along with characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Do mainland schoolkids really learn Pinyin [at first] at school? If they do, when do they switch to learning simplified Chinese?

And, how widespread is Pinyin in the mainland? I have hard time comprehending this statement, as all I see is Chinese characters in images from China (street signs), as well as news/newspapers?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Main differences are accent and vocabulary differences (think British vs. American English). From a purely linguistic viewpoint, I think the PRC is the better place to learn Chinese, if you want to learn 'standard' pronounciation. However, you will probably need to study in Beijing or somewhere else in the north, like Harbin. From a quality of life standpoint, Taiwan, hands down. Another thing--the Taipei accent is quite trendy among PRC youths, and often imitated. So it more or less depends on your goals in learning Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Whats the main difference between Mandarin spoken on the mainland and the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan? And which place would be better to learn the language?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,359 times
For an update, I just read that Taiwan has switched to the pinyin phonetic system since the election of the Nationalist party in 2008.

And regarding the use of Wade-Giles in Malaysia and Singapore, pinyin has always been the norm in Chinese education in these two countries. I was educated in the pinyin system but my parents weren't. I guess theirs was Wade-Giles but am so not sure about that (never got to ask). Pinyin is often being taught simultaneously with the introduction of new Chinese characters in the elementary schools to aid in the learning of the pronunciation. But as one progresses into the advanced years (late elementary levels/high school), one is expected to find out the pinyin (pronunciation) of the new characters him/herself instead of being spoon-fed all the time.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 AM

78,740 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There is one issue though: most Taiwanese do not distinguish sh/s zh/z ch/c for example.
If you are used to such an accent, it would be hard to remember which word is supposed to have 'sh'.

It is not a big deal if you just want to be understood, but your Chinese pronunciation will never be "very good" that way.
This is very easy to modify and adapt. When you're in an environment that's standard Mandarin-speaking, you catch on fast. Not a big deal.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is very easy to modify and adapt. When you're in an environment that's standard Mandarin-speaking, you catch on fast. Not a big deal.
Yes if you know the "standard" pronunciation to begin with. But many learners do not.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times
Thank you all very much for the replies, I apreciate it.....I was wondering though, I have noticed that there are several schools from China that offer classes online. I have never taken any classes online before, Are online language lessons a good idea?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM

I know some of the people behind ChinesePod, and I think it would be a decent way to go. However, if you are truly serious about learning Chinese, you need to go study it in the PRC or Taiwan. Devote at least one year, preferably two. I will say that I have yet to meet a Westerner who has learned Chinese well without doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Thank you all very much for the replies, I apreciate it.....I was wondering though, I have noticed that there are several schools from China that offer classes online. I have never taken any classes online before, Are online language lessons a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or