U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
 
307 posts, read 473,178 times
Reputation: 290

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Whats the main difference between Mandarin spoken on the mainland and the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan? And which place would be better to learn the language?
The difference is simply regional but basically the same. Like English in the U.S....whether you're from Massachusetts or Texas and the two may not sound exactly the same when spoken...is still English, nonetheless. When learning Chinese-Mandarin (I learned mine at the Defense Language Institute (DLI) in Monterey, California)..you're generally learning standard gwo yu...or National Language. I had several native Chinese language professors at DLI...from different regions of China. Unless you're a native speaker, you really can't tell the difference from one teacher to another. They all taught standard Mandarin.
What is spoken locally (putong hwa) could be variations of Mandarin or other major Chinese languages or dialects. In Taiwan, the official language is Chinese-Mandarin, although the local people may speak their own type of dialect among themselves. I spoke standard Mandarin I learned at DLI and was understood by all and I pretty much understood what they were saying. I have had numerous opportunities to communicate with people from mainland China (in the U.S. and Europe)...as long as I stuck to standard Mandarin...they understood me...and vice-versa. So go ahead...simply decide which is more convenient (financially and personally) for you. Either in mainland China or Taiwan you can't go wrong. Now if you ask a native Chinese from mainland China...he or she may likely tell you it's better to go to mainland China. Likewise, if you ask a Chinese from Taiwan...he or she will likely tell you it's better to go to Taiwan. It's your call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM
kyh
 
Location: Malaysia & Singapore
383 posts, read 1,062,013 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
The difference is simply regional but basically the same. Like English in the U.S....whether you're from Massachusetts or Texas and the two may not sound exactly the same when spoken...is still English, nonetheless. When learning Chinese-Mandarin (I learned mine at the Defense Language Institute (DLI) in Monterey, California)..you're generally learning standard gwo yu...or National Language. I had several native Chinese language professors at DLI...from different regions of China. Unless you're a native speaker, you really can't tell the difference from one teacher to another. They all taught standard Mandarin.
What is spoken locally (putong hwa) could be variations of Mandarin or other major Chinese languages or dialects. In Taiwan, the official language is Chinese-Mandarin, although the local people may speak their own type of dialect among themselves. I spoke standard Mandarin I learned at DLI and was understood by all and I pretty much understood what they were saying. I have had numerous opportunities to communicate with people from mainland China (in the U.S. and Europe)...as long as I stuck to standard Mandarin...they understood me...and vice-versa. So go ahead...simply decide which is more convenient (financially and personally) for you. Either in mainland China or Taiwan you can't go wrong. Now if you ask a native Chinese from mainland China...he or she may likely tell you it's better to go to mainland China. Likewise, if you ask a Chinese from Taiwan...he or she will likely tell you it's better to go to Taiwan. It's your call.
Southeast Asians would recommend going to China too if the sole purpose is to learn Mandarin Chinese. For other academic pursuits, Taiwan may fit the bill with its better quality of life and freer society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
 
1,862 posts, read 3,003,426 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Southeast Asians would recommend going to China too if the sole purpose is to learn Mandarin Chinese. For other academic pursuits, Taiwan may fit the bill with its better quality of life and freer society.
Depends on what you mean by 'freer' society. Most foreigners in China can live much like they could anywhere else. Particularly in an economic sense. And most know how to get around the Great Firewall. I do think Taiwan has a better quality of life than almost anyplace in the PRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,664 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Reputation: 76629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yes if you know the "standard" pronunciation to begin with. But many learners do not.
You don't have to know it. You learn it on the fly, once you're in a total immersion environment of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't have to know it. You learn it on the fly, once you're in a total immersion environment of it.
That's right. If you're learning Chinese, it's good to try to learn the standard pronounciations, but don't get too hung up and discouraged if your accent isn't quite there. Remember, there are lots of Chinese who speak with regional accents and non-standard ones, so why feel bad?

I'm a Chinese American who grew up in California, and went to work in Taiwan, Hong Kong and China. When I was starting out, my accent wasn't all that great, but it got better over time. Kind of developed a Taiwanese accent and tone after being in Taiwan for a few years, then worked in mainland China, and my pronounciation became a bit more "clipped" after being in Shanghai. It's now a bit more "neutral" after these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM
 
131 posts, read 8,939 times
Reputation: 18
Depends on which place you like more and also which place you are looking for opportunities and social networking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Whats the main difference between Mandarin spoken on the mainland and the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan? And which place would be better to learn the language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Depends on which place you like more and also which place you are looking for opportunities and social networking.
Good advice. I have a good friend who has been living in China for 7-8 years and he was initially looking for the best cities in China to study Mandarin.

He also lived in Taiwan for awhile, and later Dalian and Beijing. He was quite convinced he had to be 'up there' to get the best Mandarin. But the longer he's lived in China he finds that it's more about where you like, and now he's down in Xiamen, and not for them having the best Mandarin. But he's just found that you can use Mandarin anywhere anyway; and sometimes it's not bad if they even have other dialects, as it just means that Mandarin will be their second language - not that it doesn't exist.

Regarding the other poster with Mainland vs Taiwan - again, it's wherever a person likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top