U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,875,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Several years back I saw a documentary on Burmese Jews. I suppose at this point one would have to really dog around for it. It was on PBS. It was truly a surprise if true and I have no doubt that it was.

Added on Edit. If you have not seen the film by Ichikawa Kon "The Harp of Burma" (Black and white version from the 1950's then there is a treat in store for you.

I will have to check it out. Thanks for recomending it.

I watched a interesting documentary on Netflix a few weeks back regarding Burma. The guy went in recording his journey (video is generally frowned upon by the military).

I do not remember the name, but it is the only Burma/Myanmar documentary on Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,055,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I will have to check it out. Thanks for recomending it.

I watched a interesting documentary on Netflix a few weeks back regarding Burma. The guy went in recording his journey (video is generally frowned upon by the military).

I do not remember the name, but it is the only Burma/Myanmar documentary on Netflix.
I haven't seen it but I will certainly look for it.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM

25,336 posts, read 41,458,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While Buddhism is the predominant religion in SE Asia, Sri Lanka and a major religion in East Asia,
"Islam is the most widely practiced religion in Southeast Asia"
REFERENCE: Southeast Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
"Islam is the most widely practiced religion in Southeast Asia"
REFERENCE: Southeast Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That would be because of Indonesia which is the most populous Islamic nation in the world but the Indonesians for the most part are also the most tolerant of the Muslim nations. That doesn't mean there are no fanatics there.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 PM

58 posts, read 111,483 times
I'm Thai, born and grew up in Thailand.

From an insight perspective on Buddhism, the more serious or strict you are on it, the farther you are away from it. The reason is that Buddha's words of teaching are only a guideline to neutrality of mind, not towards happiness or sorrow. Feeling nothing to all happenings is the goal of practice, not love or mercy or anything. Calmness is what appeared from the outside. The words "doctrines" and "rules" are actually not supposed to be used for Buddhism as well as the word "religion". There's no god to be worshipped and the Buddha himself never asked for that, Buddhists do that on their own. Nothing Buddhists "have to" or "must" do, but rather only "should" do. And practicing is a just to bring community together to learn about what Buddha taught, not for being religious or for worshipping anything.

Like I said, again, Buddha's words are just a guideline, not a rule or anything like that. And the concept of religion was just brought there by Abrahamic religionists several centuries ago. Buddhism is supposed to be categorized as a philosophy. The religion part you see are mostly influenced by Hinduism or local beliefs.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post

From an insight perspective on Buddhism, the more serious or strict you are on it, the farther you are away from it. The reason is that Buddha's words of teaching are only a guideline to neutrality of mind, not towards happiness or sorrow. Feeling nothing to all happenings is the goal of practice, not love or mercy or anything. Calmness is what appeared from the outside. The words "doctrines" and "rules" are actually not supposed to be used for Buddhism as well as the word "religion". There's no god to be worshipped and the Buddha himself never asked for that, Buddhists do that on their own. Nothing Buddhists "have to" or "must" do, but rather only "should" do. And practicing is a just to bring community together to learn about what Buddha taught, not for being religious or for worshipping anything.

Like I said, again, Buddha's words are just a guideline, not a rule or anything like that. And the concept of religion was just brought there by Abrahamic religionists several centuries ago. Buddhism is supposed to be categorized as a philosophy. The religion part you see are mostly influenced by Hinduism or local beliefs.
That is one of the best statements I have heard on Buddhism. More Buddhists should hear this. I'll be sure to pass it on to them.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,118,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post

What you stated is exactly why I love Buddhism. Could you tell me what books or sources you use to gain such insight?

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-14-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
What you stated is exactly why I love Buddhism. Could you tell me what books or sources you use to gain such insight?
I was just explaining what are conceptualized through two decades of growing up and received formal education in Thailand. There're probably plenty of books hiding in libraries, plenty of teachings broadcasted daily on TV and radio in Thailand (especially in early morning). But it's not so friendly to non-Thai speakers because all are in Thai and Pali/Sanskrit (for vocabulary). If you like studying about the core of Buddhism, I recommend you try searching the name "Buddhadasa Bhikkhu". He's one of not many Buddhist monks who dedicated himself to preaching of what's Buddha really taught.

Last edited by Cartoonemon; 03-14-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or