Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

I find Indian women often very attractive, and while I'm not planning to go to India to find a bride, I've heard that of all the Asian nationalities it's probably hardest for a foreign man to date an Indian or South Asian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani, and Sri Lankan, woman. Their culture is more closed off, they're more traditional, their families often disapprove. Religion is a big part of their lives, whether Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist, so I don't know how they feel about inter-faith marriages. I would imagine it'd be more likely with a Christian or irreligious Indian woman. Or at least one who is only nominally Hindu.

There are quite a few Indians here anyway, but I notice they tend to stick with their own 'kind' moreso than other groups. The more Westernised ones however do often date whites and others. The situation in Singapore too is interesting, although didn't see too much mixing. Even in the UK though it seems that even if a British Indian woman wanted to be with a white British man her family might disapprove.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
From Eastern European men to Indian women. I see.

Generally speaking, I suppose I'd agree. The more traditional someone is, the harder it will be. Or, if they're not used to other people. I say go for it and give it a shoot. Try to find the right flavor before you settle. It is important. You're still a young Han. No rush. Don't buy the cow until you've tried the milk, as I like to say.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I saw this report from Pew on Asian Americans and Indians were the least likely to intermarry.

The Rise of Asian Americans | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

I don't know if this applies outside of the US, but here in Northern California, this is pretty noticeable.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I have noticed that here in Canada, Indians very much stick to themselves. I know alot of Indian men that date women of other nationalities, but in the end the women end up being disapointed, Indian men for the most part don't take women of other nationalites serious for marriage. Indian and other South Asian women with men of other nationalities is rare. The few cases I know of are people from small cities or towns where there are not many other south asians around.

But I have to say, Chinese and korean women are hard to aproach aswell. I would Say Koreans and Indians are the groups I have noticed that date/marry within their own groups the most.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Luis, I know a lot of Indian men who marry non Indians.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
Yes, because they are too hairy.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 AM

108 posts, read 259,517 times
My Singaporean Chinese colleague is married to an Indian woman and they have kids, but yes from what I have seen its very very rare to see. I dated a Singaporean Indian last year although she was very westernized such as she wore western clothing her thinking was western she never bothered with the whole Bollywood scene etc... I think a lot of it boils down to culture and pressure and/or expectations from the family.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I found Indian women attractive as well...UNTIL I started visiting India alot. Let's just say your average Bollywood actress is nothing like the average Indian female in India. Nothing at all.
I assume we are talking about Indians from India and not the 2nd or 3rd generation westernized counterparts? You are talking about a culture that still has arranged marriages by parents (in many cases), based on caste...and then their are honor killings, etc.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
If you are talking about in India, I don't really think Indians or Indian women particular or any less likely to outmarry than many other Asian ethnicities.

If you are talking about the West, I have noticed a difference when it comes to exogamy between Indians and other Asian ethnicities and I believe statistics would back up my observations. I think religion plays a large role in this as the number of Hindus, Sikhs, or Jains who aren't "Indian" are more or less negligible. In my own extended family, the 1.5/2nd generation is all Americanized/Westernized but most of my "cousins" ended up choosing to marry other Indians.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
If you are talking about in India, I don't really think Indians or Indian women particular or any less likely to outmarry than many other Asian ethnicities.

If you are talking about the West, I have noticed a difference when it comes to exogamy between Indians and other Asian ethnicities and I believe statistics would back up my observations. I think religion plays a large role in this as the number of Hindus, Sikhs, or Jains who aren't "Indian" are more or less negligible. In my own extended family, the 1.5/2nd generation is all Americanized/Westernized but most of my "cousins" ended up choosing to marry other Indians.
It's not always true of every family though. My father outmarried and so my mother is white, and many in my extended family have done the same. Then again, we started coming to NA in the 1960's and 70's when the community was much smaller and people westernized much more readily as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia