U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 PM

22,149 posts, read 23,676,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well maybe the old ones do not like desserts but there are certainly many young ones who like having cakes and ice cream. Learning chopstick is not tHat important,you are not going to use it when you go to non chinese countries and definitely not as important as Fork and Knife , it is very important to learn table etiquette.
Fork and knife doesn't have much of a learning curve, so I'm not sure how much there is to learn unless you want to talk about dining etiquette where you need to know at what angle to set down your cutlery in order to signal different things. Chopsticks definitely have a greater learning curve (and is used in other East Asian countries and the greater East Asian diaspora) and there are different sets of etiquette for the different countries.

I think you're a bit overly down on China and it'll probably more than anything make you miserable for whatever duration you have to stay there. You should probably realize that it won't do you a lot of favors to just stay miserable or wonder why your assumptions aren't everyone else's. Another to be said is that China is very much a developing country for much of it and has had pretty recent bouts of extreme poverty and turmoil. With that, a lot of niceties of life and tradition flew out the window and it will take quite some time for it to develop or redevelop as the country modernizes in fits and spurts and at different paces across the nation.

Maybe the context would make more sense if we talked about what one sees in Manila and how the incredible poverty and lack of refinement seen in vast stretches of that city and its people is no indictment for all Filipinos. In that same way, it seems it would make sense to measure your words a bit as talking about China in broad strokes probably doesn't work very well and especially not if you know very little about the overall matter.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,823 times
Quote:
I have noticed a lot. Even the younger women who dress up more still smell. Once I almost fainted in a make up store while the sales lady was giving me the basket. In the lifts when it's too crowded it is very noticeable. I have also noticed that it is hard to look for deodorants here even in big supermarkets and when you ask the sales ladies it's like they don't know anything. So far, there are only 2 stores that really sell deodorants ( watsons and mannings ) .

This is crazy talk. Absolutely untrue. But then you also claim that Chinese food is 'inedible'. I am starting to believe that you haven't even been to China at all, and even if you have, you never stray from the foreigner ghettos, so basically same thing.

As far as noticeable body odor, try India, especially in the south.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention " Not wearing Deodorant " , as I have noticed in the lifts, in the hospitals, in the stores or even the women working in make up/ perfume stores.
Honestly, I think that's generally a good thing. It's also good for the environment. I can understand after exercise etc, but in general well, it might not be PC to say but Asian people tend to have less body odour so many don't really even need it.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most Chinese don't like dessert at all and seldom eat it.
Why don't you worry about how western men use chopsticks? Westerners don't know how to behave in front of parents in law etc.
Fruit is often eaten as a dessert in Chinese restaurants, but Chinese certainly do have a sweet-tooth, like most people.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I have noticed a lot. Even the younger women who dress up more still smell. Once I almost fainted in a make up store while the sales lady was giving me the basket. In the lifts when it's too crowded it is very noticeable. I have also noticed that it is hard to look for deodorants here even in big supermarkets and when you ask the sales ladies it's like they don't know anything. So far, there are only 2 stores that really sell deodorants ( watsons and mannings ) .
Interesting. I didn't recall that when I went to China, but it's been awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or