Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, for those who have dated a variety of Asian women or men, if you've noticed any generalities that apply to people from a certain nationality, notwithstanding the obvious disclaimer that people are people. For instance, how would dating a Japanese lady compare with a Thai? Chinese to Korean? Indian to Indonesian? I'm not talking picking up bar-girls or something, but a genuine relationship. Would you say some nationalities present more of a cultural-difference than others? What about Filipinos, is there still a major cultural rift?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I would say that interracial dating between Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and Thai are pretty commonplace here in the US. I would say that interracial dating with an Indian or Vietnamese is not that common.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I would say that interracial dating between Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and Thai are pretty commonplace here in the US. I would say that interracial dating with an Indian or Vietnamese is not that common.
oh? it's interesting.
Vietnamese look pretty much like East Asians, except they are even shorter. I wonder why it's not common.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
I was very close to a Vietnamese woman when I first arrived in Japan. Later she went back to Vietnam and I lost track of her. She was absolutely striking and always dressed in traditional style. She had one of the most brilliant minds I have ever know. She was in some ways very Western (the French influence I suppose) and in other ways very Asian. But the mix was itself brilliant and I have rarely seen anyone who could live in both worlds with the ease that this woman did.

Here is a site that speaks to dating Korean women. In many ways it is similar to Japan in the 1960's.
Top 3 Realizations You Must Know Before Dating Korean Women! | Teaching Kimchi

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
oh? it's interesting.
Vietnamese look pretty much like East Asians, except they are even shorter. I wonder why it's not common.
vietnamese are very ethnocentric

anyways most asian-americans are ethnocentric...it really has nothing to do with what you look like....your ethnicity is who you would more then likely associate with then what you look like

Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,733 times
Absolutely false, at least in California. Every Vietnamese girl I knew married out, almost always white. Not one married a Vietnamese. I think it is true, however, that Indians don't do interracial dating as much as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
vietnamese are very ethnocentric

anyways most asian-americans are ethnocentric...it really has nothing to do with what you look like....your ethnicity is who you would more then likely associate with then what you look like

Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Absolutely false, at least in California. Every Vietnamese girl I knew married out, almost always white. Not one married a Vietnamese. I think it is true, however, that Indians don't do interracial dating as much as the others.
I was going to say the same thing.

I've been in LTR's with two Vietnamese girls and one half-Vietnamese/half-white hapa girl... and, well, I'm definitely not Vietnamese, and the hapa gal (who's coming to visit me here in LA tomorrow before we head out to Vegas - w00t) is the result of a Vietnamese guy and a white woman. I've dated or been in short-term relationships with a number of other Vietnamese gals; it's not uncommon at all in CA, or WA for that matter. After Filipinos, I'd say that they're probably the least ethnocentric Asian ethnicity.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times
being a filipina myself, i can say that we are not as ethnocentric as other asian nationalities are. that's why there's less homogenity in our looks because we tend to date/marry interracially, on top of being colonized by different countries in our history (spain, US, japan). it's difficult to identify a filipino by their looks as they could look east asian/hispanic/african-american/indonesian/even caucasian. i have cousins whose mother is pure-blooded Spaniard, and they looked very caucasian. when they moved to a very small town, everyone there tried to talk to them in english thinking they were americans.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Filipinos are not ethnocentric... I must say that having been with Spanish people for over 4 centuries and 40 years with Americans, they are the ones who can easily adjust with other cultures especially Western .I am sure that it is more common for a Westerner to be married to Filipinos than with other Asians.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-06-2013 at 02:44 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Filipinos are not ethnocentric... I must say that having been with Spanish people for over 4 centuries and 40 years with Americans, they are the ones who can easily adjust with other cultures especially Western .I am sure that it is more common for a Westerner to be married to Filipinos than with other Asians.
depends on the ethnic group in the Philippines IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia