U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM

342 posts, read 1,728,236 times

Advertisements

In Hong Kong is housing the only thing that is ridiculously expensive? Or is everything ridiculously expensive?

Other things might include - restaurants, shopping, groceries, transportation, healthcare, entertainment etc.

Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
totally depends how you spend money. HK always ends up near the top of mercer's cost of living list but the main reason for that is because the survey is geared towards rich expats/corporate execs with expensive accounts. if you are cool with public transport and eating like locals do than food and transport are not going to be very expensive. but if you need absolutely refuse to live without your own private car and wont eat at anything less than a 5 star restaurant then hk can be very expensive.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,091,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
totally depends how you spend money. HK always ends up near the top of mercer's cost of living list but the main reason for that is because the survey is geared towards rich expats/corporate execs with expensive accounts. if you are cool with public transport and eating like locals do than food and transport are not going to be very expensive. but if you need absolutely refuse to live without your own private car and wont eat at anything less than a 5 star restaurant then hk can be very expensive.
Agreed. Hong Kong caters to literally every budget. I found it to be "good value for money" as the Brits say. I felt that my dollar went farther (with regard to quality/satisfaction). For example, I had a Michelin star Cantonese dinner for US$60, including French wine. I've also been satisfied by the $6 meals. At the highest end, the Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula offer some of the best experiences in the world.

That said, one can live on $150HKD ( $19.30 US) when travelling there if they are ok with roughing it. It is expensive by Asian standards, but I saw no reason to spend fortunes unless you wanted to.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,496 times
Food, and other daily expenses are not expensive here comparing to western countries. Only housing is very expensive.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,819,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Agreed. Hong Kong caters to literally every budget. I found it to be "good value for money" as the Brits say. I felt that my dollar went farther (with regard to quality/satisfaction). For example, I had a Michelin star Cantonese dinner for US$60, including French wine. I've also been satisfied by the $6 meals. At the highest end, the Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula offer some of the best experiences in the world.

That said, one can live on $150HKD ( $19.30 US) when travelling there if they are ok with roughing it. It is expensive by Asian standards, but I saw no reason to spend fortunes unless you wanted to.
Where do you stay, if I might ask.

I used to stay in Kowloon on Flower Market Street with a friend.
So the price was perfect.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Where do you stay, if I might ask.

I used to stay in Kowloon on Flower Market Street with a friend.
So the price was perfect.
prolly a dorm situation unless amelorn was staying somewhere for free. private rooms are usually at least 200hkd per night in the cheaper guesthouses. i'm not much for hyperbudget trips, typically average around 600hkd/day in hong kong. don't really consider myself to be roughing it on that budget either, it's enough for a centrally located room/ensuite bath in a decent/clean guesthouse, three full meals at a range of restaurants, and plenty left over for daily activities around the city. by comparison, i don't think it would be possible to do the same on a US$75/day budget in the large US and european cities.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM

12,574 posts, read 15,046,057 times
Housing is expensive in HK. Food and transportation is a good value compared to most US cities.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,091,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
prolly a dorm situation unless amelorn was staying somewhere for free. private rooms are usually at least 200hkd per night in the cheaper guesthouses. i'm not much for hyperbudget trips, typically average around 600hkd/day in hong kong. don't really consider myself to be roughing it on that budget either, it's enough for a centrally located room/ensuite bath in a decent/clean guesthouse, three full meals at a range of restaurants, and plenty left over for daily activities around the city. by comparison, i don't think it would be possible to do the same on a US$75/day budget in the large US and european cities.
Those weren't my personal experiences. My Hong Kong hotels are more in the $1,500-$1,600 HKD range (The Prince Marco Polo, Harbour Grand Hong Kong etc).

Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 AM

11,874 posts, read 32,904,313 times
As the others have said, housing in HK is frightfully expensive, but everything else is a bargain as long as you live like the locals. If you insist on eating American food all the time, it'll get a little expensive. But even McDonalds is cheaper in HK than in the US, and you'll find that buying butter and cheese from New Zealand is cheaper than buying American products, and fruit juices from Israel and the Philippines taste just as good as the more expensive American stuff. Besides, part of the fun in living in the Crossroads of Asia is trying the awesome food that you can't get in the US.

But really, you'll find that eating out, HK style, is very cheap, usually cheaper than making your own food. I lived in a HK-style flat which meant I had a HK-style kitchen--no oven, and a very small refrigerator, so I ate out all the time. Even getting a big bowl of noodles at Circle K was tasty and cheap. My food bill (and waist line) went up considerably after I came back to the US.

As for clothing, it's a no brainer. If you buy all your clothes at Lane Crawford, yeah you'll spend a small fortune. But I went to Macau for tailor-made cashmere suits for less than US$100 and bought most of my other clothes at Stanley Market. Yes, Stanley is touristy, but their clothes fit us bigger Americans, and it's still a ton cheaper than buying clothes in the US (especially from that rugby shop at Stanley). Plus, the bus ride out to Stanley is an adventure! And, of course, there was always the occasional Shenzhen run for things like luggage, briefcases, watches, pens, DVDs, and other odds and ends.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM

12,574 posts, read 15,046,057 times
4 and 5 star hotels are also very expensive, and small by US standards. But, eating out in HK (like a local) is a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or