U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times

Advertisements

Forget Goa - those are just tourists talking that have never seen more of India then a hundred yard wide stretch of beach.

I'm just a visitor as well, but from my limitied observations (just got back from my fifth trip to India):
New Delhi - Dirtier then Mumbai, more polluted, and seemingly more impovershed. I like the relatively cooler weather (during the "winter"), and also it's location - accessable to the Taj and Janpour.
Mumbai - Seems cleaner from what I saw, perhaps a bit more international and cosmopolitan. Hot and humid climate wise. Has some fantastic hill stations nearby where you can escape the heat and get away from the crowds. And yes, you can go to Goa on a daytrip if you want to experience India with drunken and sunburned europeans (my idea of hell, but whatever...).

Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 AM

6,633 posts, read 8,326,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Forget Goa - those are just tourists talking that have never seen more of India then a hundred yard wide stretch of beach.

I'm just a visitor as well, but from my limitied observations (just got back from my fifth trip to India):
New Delhi - Dirtier then Mumbai, more polluted, and seemingly more impovershed. I like the relatively cooler weather (during the "winter"), and also it's location - accessable to the Taj and Janpour.
Mumbai - Seems cleaner from what I saw, perhaps a bit more international and cosmopolitan. Hot and humid climate wise. Has some fantastic hill stations nearby where you can escape the heat and get away from the crowds. And yes, you can go to Goa on a daytrip if you want to experience India with drunken and sunburned europeans (my idea of hell, but whatever...).
Yeahh Mumbai is definitely more cosmopolitan and international and by quite a healthy margin at that too. Mumbai for the most part has been seen as a creative capital for India, where those with imaginative, creative, and artistic minds would flock to make their mark on society.

Delhi in contrast is not a bad city, really any city with over 20 million people (a hypercity, if you will) should have enough to keep people of any socioeconomic background content for a bit, especially as a visitor but it's a city where growth shows the negatives in starkness as well. Delhi has an increasing issue with pollution, crime, social detractors, corruption as well and granted it's the seat of the world's largest democracy some of those come as no surprise.

Also in contrast to Mumbai, it didn't have as much of a head start in growth and management. Mumbai figured it out a while long before Delhi what direction is should be heading in whereas Delhi went from the slower grower to the faster one at one of the world's largest population clips (6 million a decade as of the most recent census) so it's had less stability managing that level of growth and all the issues that come with it. I do think they're trying their best to rectify that and get with the program. They've upgraded the airport recently, it's actually much nicer now, have introduced rapid transit, are building efficient highways and roads but that's only still so much selective.

Mumbai on the other hand has realized it has a geographical gift with the mountains and coastline, it's been working aggressively on fixing the environments closest to those and while it's been pushing shambles into the middle of the city, the waterfront and outskirting suburbs have never been better. It's getting with the program of cleaning the rest of the city up too. It's beginning to act like the hypercity it should aspire to be and it's roots are in place to reek those benefits.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Haven't been to either city, but Delhi seems to have more pre-British historic architecture, largely from the Mogul period. I think in both cities a lot of the traditional architecture including Hindu architecture was destroyed. Both of course have a lot of poverty and slums, but it seems Mumbai has more a glitzy, middle and upper class side to it, and a nicer location by the sea, while I haven't heard many good things about Delhi. For an ex-pat you can probably live more comfortably in Mumbai.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM

297 posts, read 390,968 times
Okay

Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,117,211 times
Delhi is the rape capital of India. Mumbai is the red light district of Asia. Bangalore is the best and safest in India of all the first tier cities. Pune comes a close second.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Delhi is the rape capital of India. Mumbai is the red light district of Asia. Bangalore is the best and safest in India of all the first tier cities. Pune comes a close second.
You really think Mumbai exceeds the likes of Bangkok or Manila?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Before all this starts I am going to request a topic lock

Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Before all this starts I am going to request a topic lock
Are you sure that you want the topic locked? I can lock it if that's what you really want.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Yes

Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Yes
Done.

Thread locked per request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia