U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:48 AM

116 posts, read 63,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
maybe it is a korean cm and shorter?

Chinese have a different counting system too, they hse a long scale or short? i forget which is which for counting

1 billion = 1,000 million for example, or something, i forget how it works

Chinese Numbers: Numerical Chinese Characters
LOL, out of all the outrageous things I've heard today this sure takes the cake.

What do you mean Koreans use a different metric system? Wow.

An inch is about 2.54cm. So 5 inches is about 12.7cm.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 PM

150 posts, read 55,663 times
@Mattks I have been to Italy, France, Britain In Europe 18 to 25 years old is as tall as 40 to 55 years old Most white men are 170cm to 183cm In China High school students are obviously higher than their parents My height 185cm in high school normal height I live in Jinan, Shandong Province The highest 202cm in our school Your wife 180cm You know the highest high school student in Harbin 223cm 17 years old You know Sun Mingming? Height 236cm Born in 1983

Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 PM

@Ertix If you were in high school, you'd be a short man The shortest 172cm in our class

Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 AM

Zibo city shandong province. 淄博市中学生发展现状
  此次调查对象为中学生,年龄在13-19岁之间,本次调查分两大部分,一部分用问卷方式在随机选择的4所中学中进行调查,分别是沂源一中,鲁山 中学,淄博五中和桓台一中。从中随机抽取了男女生各500人进行调查(。其中男生有416人表示喜欢篮球, 占男生总数的83.2%。女生有279喜欢篮球,占女生总数的55.8%由此可见,总体来说篮球普及率很高 ,男生比女生更容易被篮球吸引。在所有被调查的中学生之中有54人接受过专业的篮球培训,只占总数的5.4 %,有840人通过学校篮球课程学习篮球。另一部分是对随机抽取的124名参加过正规比赛的中学生进行的调 查,所有人参加的比赛都是按成年标准规则进行的,都提倡对抗,大运动量。所有的参加过比赛的124人都有过 伤病现象,大多以脚踝和手指伤为主。在这124人中,身高183cm以上的有80人(183c m+ 80 boy ),其中有59人接受的是大前锋或中锋的内线篮球技术,而剩余的44人也只有20人接受过专业的后卫培训, 这使得内外线比例严重失调,这也正与中国成年篮球现状相吻合:中国能有姚明、易建联这样的移动长城,却难有 科比、纳什一样的世界级后卫。这其中不无关系。综合以上两项调查不难得出,现阶段中学生篮球发展现状是热情 度很高,但专业化程度不够,伤病较多。 Development status of middle school students in zibo city.
The research object, by and for students between the ages of 13 and 19 years old, the survey is divided into two parts, part of the questionnaire way in the random selection of four middle school investigation, respectively is the interpretation of the source one, LuShan middle school, zibo understanding and huantai no.1 middle school. A random sample of 500 male and female students was conducted. Among them, 416 students said they like basketball, accounting for 83.2% of the total number of boys. Girls have 279 basketball fans, accounting for 55.8% of the total number of girls. Thus, overall basketball penetration is high, and boys are more attracted to basketball than girls. Of all the high school students surveyed, 54 received professional basketball training, only 5.4 percent of the total, and 840 students studied basketball through school basketball. The other part is for a random sample of 124 middle school students have participated in regular game of investigation, and all the people to participate in the game was conducted by adult standard rules, advocate of confrontation, the great physiological load of exercise. All of the 124 people who participated in the game had injuries, mostly ankle and finger injuries. In the 124 people, the height above 183 cm, 183 + 80 boy (183 cm), including 59 people accept that power forward or center inside the basketball technology, and the rest of the 44 people also only 20 people have been trained by professional guards, which makes a serious imbalance between proportion of outside threats, this is also consistent with the current situation of adult basketball: China can move the Great Wall of yao Ming, yi jianlian, but difficult to have the same world-class defender as kobe Bryant, Steve Nash. There is something to it. Based on the above two surveys, it is not difficult to conclude that the current status of basketball development in middle school students is high, but the degree of specialization is not enough, and there are many injuries.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 AM

Post by: deliberate Time: 24-Oct-2008 8:04
  You guys are all still (still) talking about old, folklore and pop-culture-based stereotypical beliefs.

You have to look at the glass half full instead of half -empty!

I've been to China 7 times...

I have seen some very masculine HOT and BIG Chinese dudes. Maybe I don't waste time looking at the small, wimpy, computer nerdy, fem Chinese dudes you are all talking about, but I honestly didn't see any like that.

I think that because of different traditions and different needs in their society (Chinese daily life is NOT easy like ours is) their tastes are different... but if you look past the brightly colored clothes or the fact that the dude might not be totally ripped with a 6 pack and might not be a cocky bastard "player" like lots of western "hot" dudes are, then you could see real masculine beauty and strength with Chinese men.

Especially in Qingdao I saw lots of tall, large-framed Chinese men whose faces almost made me drop in my tracks...I mean literally, "drop dead handsome". And they are also "exotic" in that they are "different" than what we're used to...they're (usually) not as "cocky" as western guys and are much less assuming. They tend to be a little more reserved, shy and perhaps conservative...but they still would love to have a try with a western woman (if they're single that is-- want to stress here: don't go out and break up homes in china now western girls!).

to be continued in next post (it's long)

Old 05-17-2018, 07:49 AM

320 posts, read 503,010 times
When my child was born in America the doctors told me he will be average height. Being an extremely short man (even for a Filipino) I had to ask the doctor, "is that Asian average or American average?". I didn't get an answer but I was pretty happy. Considering my wife is 5'9" and I'm 5'3" I am hoping he will be closer to her height than mine. LOL

Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 24,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
When my child was born in America the doctors told me he will be average height. Being an extremely short man (even for a Filipino) I had to ask the doctor, "is that Asian average or American average?". I didn't get an answer but I was pretty happy. Considering my wife is 5'9" and I'm 5'3" I am hoping he will be closer to her height than mine. LOL
A 5'9 woman is roughly equivalent to a 6'2/6'3 man.

6'2.5-5'3= Almost 12 inches.

5'3+6 inches = 5'9, which is approximately the height your son will be.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
Post by: deliberate Time: 24-Oct-2008 8:04
  You guys are all still (still) talking about old, folklore and pop-culture-based stereotypical beliefs.

You have to look at the glass half full instead of half -empty!

I've been to China 7 times...

I have seen some very masculine HOT and BIG Chinese dudes. Maybe I don't waste time looking at the small, wimpy, computer nerdy, fem Chinese dudes you are all talking about, but I honestly didn't see any like that.

I think that because of different traditions and different needs in their society (Chinese daily life is NOT easy like ours is) their tastes are different... but if you look past the brightly colored clothes or the fact that the dude might not be totally ripped with a 6 pack and might not be a cocky bastard "player" like lots of western "hot" dudes are, then you could see real masculine beauty and strength with Chinese men.

Especially in Qingdao I saw lots of tall, large-framed Chinese men whose faces almost made me drop in my tracks...I mean literally, "drop dead handsome". And they are also "exotic" in that they are "different" than what we're used to...they're (usually) not as "cocky" as western guys and are much less assuming. They tend to be a little more reserved, shy and perhaps conservative...but they still would love to have a try with a western woman (if they're single that is-- want to stress here: don't go out and break up homes in china now western girls!).

I think you're trying too hard, man.

China's tallest region atm, which is coastal Shandong and Liaoning have young men that average 5'9-5'10 (175-178). Young Northern Chinese who grow up in the America/Aus tend to be slightly taller at 5'10-5'11 (178-180). They are still shorter than continential/N Euros like Germans and Dutch but they up to par with Anglo countries. In the context of the world, they are definitely taller than most regions.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
@Mattks I have been to Italy, France, Britain In Europe 18 to 25 years old is as tall as 40 to 55 years old Most white men are 170cm to 183cm In China High school students are obviously higher than their parents My height 185cm in high school normal height I live in Jinan, Shandong Province The highest 202cm in our school Your wife 180cm You know the highest high school student in Harbin 223cm 17 years old You know Sun Mingming? Height 236cm Born in 1983
All I will say is I have seen my wifes class pictures, and for her class she is the tallest and for her generation she is quite tall. She was born in 84'

Yes, there are tall people in China, but it's not common like some on here are making it out to be, even among the younger generations, but they are getting taller, and young Chinese are quite a bit taller then older Chinese, and I believe that will continue into the future. My wifes uncle is one of the tallest Chinese people I have met, he played professional basketball in the 1980's-1990's. I don't know his exact height, but I'd guess he is the same height as me.

I'm roughly 190 cm and there are very very few Chinese people who are taller then me. My wife is 180 cm and is taller then the vast majority in China.

Since the first time I arrived in China to now, when I'm standing on a subway or bus, I can see the tops of almost everybody's heads. Most days I don't see anyone taller then me.

Is there some city in the NE part of China where everybody is incredibly tall, perhaps, I don't know, I haven't been everywhere, but it sure isn't normal. I have been to Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu, Henan, Hainan, Yunnan, Hebei, Liaoniang, Shanxi, Anhui, Zhejiang, Shandong, and Heilongjiang. Southern Chinese are shorter, especially some of the minority groups out in Yunnan are much shorter. Northern Chinese, starting around Henan and Anhui start getting taller and the tallest are the NE. Thats just from my observations.

Anyway, it's a silly debate, if its that. We all agree on the only facts known. Young Chinese are taller then their parents, and Chinese on average are getting taller. White people on average are not getting much taller, younger generations are more or less the same height as their parents were. Chinese will plateau in a similar manner. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Chinese do on average become taller then westerners, as long as you guys keep up your good diets and active lifestyles. But as we've seen with the "little emperors" I think China will follow the same path as the west with obesity and eating too much food, which I'm guessing stunts peoples growth.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:50 PM

I think the current height ranking in East Asia (young men) is something like the below from my personal experience and online statistics:

1. Coastal Shandong+Dalian Liaoning (place has best living standards in the North)= 178-175 cm
2. Broadly NE China = 175 cm
3. Beijing/Seoul = 175-173
4. NW China+Shanghai: 174-173
5. Central China (Henan etc) and Taiwan (southern descent but good economy): 172-173
6. Japan (Tokyo): 172-170 (depending on region)
7: Far Southern China: 171-169

Northwest China is definitely shorter than NE China and Shandong. That is because the people there have significant amounts of Mongol admixture due to invasions and such. Mongols average like 170-169 but are rather stocky in build.

SE Asia is a lot shorter. Young Filipinos from relatively wealthy backgrounds might hit 170 but Vietnamese people and some other continental SE Asians are really short (young men like 165-168).

Last edited by jabeha; 05-18-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or