Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,445,784 times

Advertisements

The Siberians and the Inuit of North America live in a very cold climate and most of them are short & stocky

I heard short stocky can retain body heat better than a tall thin person

Old 08-04-2016, 07:37 PM

3,755 posts, read 2,963,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
The Siberians and the Inuit of North America live in a very cold climate and most of them are short & stocky

I heard short stocky can retain body heat better than a tall thin person
Genetic diversity amongst these people would be less, and they may well have evolved that way for reasons you mention, but nutrition may be a factor too.
This heat retention may also a factor in high altitude places like the Andes. (as well as lung capacity).
Nutrition maximizes genetic potential, but can't create giants out of midgets.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:48 PM

280 posts, read 336,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Genetic diversity amongst these people would be less, and they may well have evolved that way for reasons you mention, but nutrition may be a factor too.
This heat retention may also a factor in high altitude places like the Andes. (as well as lung capacity).
Nutrition maximizes genetic potential, but can't create giants out of midgets.
I'm always lead to believe humidity and how a population can wick away humidity has something to do with height and the ideal climate being somewhere that is not extreme on both ends of the scale. The shortest populations seem to all hail from South East Asia and equatorial Africa/Americas....basically anywhere within a 5 degree +/- from equator.

The tallest people seem to reside around winter temps near zero or slightly below it but not frigid - e.g. Eastern Europe Alps, North but not far North China, even going into the native American tribes like the Sioux - one of the tallest tribes all seem to be around that specific climatic area.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM

1,949 posts, read 6,445,784 times
Default big & tall people and cold weather

Ive heard that the big & tall people are the ones that never make it through US NAVY SEAL training, because they cant handle the training when they have to spend time in frigid cold water conditions for an extended time, being taller and especially with a slender build, they would suffer from Hypothermia much quicker than a shorter stockier built person.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:11 PM

102,099 posts, read 107,250,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I'm always lead to believe humidity and how a population can wick away humidity has something to do with height and the ideal climate being somewhere that is not extreme on both ends of the scale. The shortest populations seem to all hail from South East Asia and equatorial Africa/Americas....basically anywhere within a 5 degree +/- from equator.

The tallest people seem to reside around winter temps near zero or slightly below it but not frigid - e.g. Eastern Europe Alps, North but not far North China, even going into the native American tribes like the Sioux - one of the tallest tribes all seem to be around that specific climatic area.
Except for those Maasai herders, and related peoples. They're very tall and thin. It's not humid where they live, though.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,845,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post

Tall lanky bodies can't move through dense brush as efficiently as short bodies which bend a lot less avoiding branches etc. enabling them to cover more terrain in less time following game etc. The very shortest peoples are found in dense jungles such as the Pygmies of and Negritos.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:57 PM

116 posts, read 190,260 times
Okay, I'm not quite sure why Mongolians are quite short and stocky (given their northern latitude), but I also find the general observation that height increases as you go up north is basically true.

I live in a major U.S. city that has many internationals from all around the world, and I find that many Koreans and Chinese are quite tall nowadays. I have both Korean and Chinese relatives in my family, and the males tend to range between 5'9''-6'1'', without any shoe lifts.

Some of the girls I've seen are quite tall, like half a head taller than me. I stand 5'7'' as an Asian woman so I'm not exactly short.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:26 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,268,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Asians are often stereotyped as being shorter than other groups i.e. Europeans and Africans and for some asian groups i've found that to be true on the most part, most Filipinos are quite short. However at least in North America i've noticed that the 1st generation asian North Americans are often not too dissimilar in height from their non-asian counter-parts especially the Chinese, koreans as well.

I guess i would chalk that up to improved diet? So is it just a stereotype that Asians are shorter? if not what do you think the basis for a shorter height is?
NE Chinese are a a foot taller than many Mediterraneans from Portugal, Spain and Italy.

The reasons are not as trivial as diet but go back to evolutionary reasons...

Old 04-14-2018, 10:08 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,050,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
East Asia from short to tall...

1.Indonesia
2.Philippines
3.Brunei
4.Malaysia
5.N.Korea
6.China (Rural)
7.Cambodia
8.Vietnam
9.Burma
10.Laos
11.China (Urban)
12.Japan
13.Thailand
14.Singapore
15.S.Korea
I don't know your source, but that seems about right....

Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 AM

7,644 posts, read 6,436,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Asians are often stereotyped as being shorter than other groups i.e. Europeans and Africans and for some asian groups i've found that to be true on the most part, most Filipinos are quite short. However at least in North America i've noticed that the 1st generation asian North Americans are often not too dissimilar in height from their non-asian counter-parts especially the Chinese, koreans as well.

I guess i would chalk that up to improved diet? So is it just a stereotype that Asians are shorter? if not what do you think the basis for a shorter height is?
diet and weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia