U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholonman View Post
There are much North Vietnamese living in South VN . We can compare tone skin of North and South in the same enviroment . Not only dependent skin color , the face of South people are closer to Khmer, obviously are South East Asian.
I wonder how much the Khmer admixture is in the South. I know it was Khmer until a few hundred years ago, but I wonder how much Khmer admixture is in the Viet Kinh or the Viet Hoa. I heard that a lot of people in the Mekong delta region are a mix of Khmer and Chinese or Cham, because the Chinese settled the Mekong delta even before the Vietnamese.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 27,829 times
Chinese settle in Delta Mekong VN after Kinh but then Vietnam was devided by 2 country and civil war. Southern VN called Dangtrong. Northern VN was Dangngoai. The civilians Viet(Kinh) from North was not able go to the Southern. The immigrant Chines was welcom by King of Dangtrong and they settled in delta mekong from 17 century. When Vietnam unity, King of Vietnam name Minhmang performed the assimilation policy to ethnic Han Chinese , Khmer, Ma, Stieng, Chauro, Malay...by Confucian, Han culture, Han charaters. Anyone Khmer had fluently Han charaters was rewarded. Historians called assimilation-Han or assimilation-Viet because Vietnam is national Confucian.

Last edited by cholonman; 09-24-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Chinese settle in Delta Mekong VN after Kinh but then Vietnam was devided by 2 country and civil war. Southern VN called Dangtrong. Northern VN was Dangngoai. The civilians Viet(Kinh) from North was not able go to the Southern. The immigrant Chines was welcom by King of Dangtrong and they settled in delta mekong from 17 century. When Vietnam unity, King of Vietnam name Minhmang performed the assimilation policy to ethnic Han Chinese , Khmer, Ma, Stieng, Chauro, Malay...by Confucian, Han culture, Han charaters. Anyone Khmer had fluently Han charaters was rewarded. Historians called assimilation-Han or assimilation-Viet because Vietnam is national Confucian.
Well that's what I read, that the Chinese settled the Mekong delta before the Vietnamese. I heard many are mixed now, distinct from the Hoa in like HCMC. Maybe they're more assimilated? Yes, of course the cultures are very similar, so it was easy for the Chinese to integrate. Also in like Faifo (Hoi An) there were large Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese populations.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 AM

16 posts, read 27,829 times
Almost Chinese and Viet people first arriving Mekong were soldier man. They maried local women from Mon-Khmer ethnics (Khmer, Ma, Chauro) . We remember that they had living in the wives polygamy times then , so alway be shortage woman. Never enough woman for a wives polygamy times. That was one why the South Vietnamese admixed Khmer and Chinese ( Guangdong, Fukien, Chaochau). Further the King Minhmang of VN had performed the assimilation policy as I have posted.

Last edited by cholonman; 09-25-2013 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Almost Chinese and Viet people first arriving Mekong were soldier man. They maried local women from Mon-Khmer ethnics (Khmer, Ma, Chauro) . We remember that they had living in the wives polygamy times then , so alway be shortage woman. Never enough woman for a wives polygamy times. That was one why the South Vietnamese admixed Khmer and Chinese ( Guangdong, Fukien, Chaochau). Further the King Minhmang of VN had performed the assimilation policy as I have posted.
Interesting...Are you Hoa yourself, or part Chinese in ancestry?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 32,638 times
There are regional differences in Vietnam for sure but I've always felt as though it was much less compared to surrounding nations. Take China for example, not only are there various mutually unintelligible dialects of the Chinese language but the people living at the northern and southern extremes look distinctly different as well. The Northern Chinese differ not only in facial features and skin tone but in height and body size; something that you don't typically see among northern and southern Vietnamese. When compared to other South-East Asians such as the Thais and Filipinos, Vietnamese seem to have a lower range of phenotype and facial features. Girls from the Isaan region look different from Central and Northern Thai, for instance. The Cambodians, from what I've seen in California especially Long Beach, look to be quite diverse. Some could pass for Vietnamese, but most look quite different even to a Southern Vietnamese. I have yet to see a Vietnamese American that look similar to this Cambodian-American college student:

Last edited by Warranthad; 09-25-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
he looks like he has some Indian / Burmese background

Vietnamese dont have much Indian blood

Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranthad View Post
There are regional differences in Vietnam for sure but I've always felt as though it was much less compared to surrounding nations. Take China for example, not only are there various mutually unintelligible dialects of the Chinese language but the people living at the northern and southern extremes look distinctly different as well. The Northern Chinese differ not only in facial features and skin tone but in height and body size; something that you don't typically see among northern and southern Vietnamese. When compared to other South-East Asians such as the Thais and Filipinos, Vietnamese seem to have a lower range of phenotype and facial features. Girls from the Isaan region look different from Central and Northern Thai, for instance. The Cambodians, from what I've seen in California especially Long Beach, look to be quite diverse. Some could pass for Vietnamese, but most look quite different even to a Southern Vietnamese. I have yet to see a Vietnamese American that look similar to this Cambodian-American college student:
No this type of look is not common in Vietnam, I assume those Vietnamese who do look like this have some significant Khmer mixture.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
he looks like he has some Indian / Burmese background

Vietnamese dont have much Indian blood
If any at all...the original Vietnamese are from northern Vietnam and look more Chinese than Khmer.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranthad View Post

I've seen Vietnamese with that kind of face, but not that dark. The funny thing is, people think that Filipinos look like this, but they dont. This kind of face is more common in Mainland Southeast Asia. Filipinos can get just as dark as this guy, but that face is not so common
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.