U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

I've seen Vietnamese with that kind of face, but not that dark. The funny thing is, people think that Filipinos look like this, but they dont. This kind of face is more common in Mainland Southeast Asia. Filipinos can get just as dark as this guy, but that face is not so common
I've seen Vietnamese this dark, and some who look like this, almost all in the South, which was Khmer territory. It's still a rather atypical look for Vietnamese, I'd think of it as mostly Khmer, lowland Lao/Isan.

You're right, Cambodians look different from Austronesians, although they could be confused by some.

 
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 PM
 
16 posts, read 27,880 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting...Are you Hoa yourself, or part Chinese in ancestry?
I'm Kinh not Hoa. My father from South, he is descendant of chinese. His skin is upper medium a little. Paternal relatives are diversity about race. My mother from North, she has pale skin. Maternal relatives all have pale skin.

Last edited by cholonman; 09-25-2013 at 09:36 PM..
 
Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholonman View Post
I'm Kinh not Hoa. My father from South, he is descendant of chinese. His skin is upper medium a little. Paternal relatives are diversity about race. My mother from North, she has pale skin. Maternal relatives all have pale skin.
Ok, wondering because of your username. So if you are half you are just considered Kinh I guess? I went to Cholon when I was in Saigon.

How integrated are the Hoa? Can you normally tell them apart by looks or only language?
 
Old 09-26-2013, 12:22 AM
 
16 posts, read 27,880 times
Reputation: 10
I 'm not half Hoa. I have some blood Hoa from ancestry as many origin South Vietnamese people although I rather look like Hoa. Cholon not completely Hoa, they only about 50% population. My ancestry is Minhhuong, who became Viet many generation . But I not sure I have how many percent blood Hoa myself , I guess 25%. I not sure if I have some Cham blood or no (?) Some of my relatives paternal have dark skin or look like Australoid face a bit.

Last edited by cholonman; 09-26-2013 at 12:35 AM..
 
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholonman View Post
I 'm not half Hoa. I have some blood Hoa from ancestry as many origin South Vietnamese people although I rather look like Hoa. Cholon not completely Hoa, they only about 50% population. My ancestry is Minhhuong, who became Viet many generation . But I not sure I have how many percent blood Hoa myself , I guess 25%. I not sure if I have some Cham blood or no (?) Some of my relatives paternal have dark skin or look like Australoid face a bit.
Ah ok, do a lot of people in Cholon converse among themselves in Cantonese? Btw have you seen the movie Cyclo? The main character, the young cyclo driver, looks a bit Malay to me, maybe he's Cham?
 
Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 AM
 
16 posts, read 27,880 times
Reputation: 10
Yes, he certainly have some blood Cham or Khmer. The face very common in the South Vietnam.
 
Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 AM
 
5 posts, read 9,633 times
Reputation: 10
virtnamese ! notthing wrong with khmer.
 
Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 AM
 
138 posts, read 645,209 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranthad View Post
There are regional differences in Vietnam for sure but I've always felt as though it was much less compared to surrounding nations. Take China for example, not only are there various mutually unintelligible dialects of the Chinese language but the people living at the northern and southern extremes look distinctly different as well. The Northern Chinese differ not only in facial features and skin tone but in height and body size; something that you don't typically see among northern and southern Vietnamese. When compared to other South-East Asians such as the Thais and Filipinos, Vietnamese seem to have a lower range of phenotype and facial features. Girls from the Isaan region look different from Central and Northern Thai, for instance. The Cambodians, from what I've seen in California especially Long Beach, look to be quite diverse. Some could pass for Vietnamese, but most look quite different even to a Southern Vietnamese. I have yet to see a Vietnamese American that look similar to this Cambodian-American college student:

Quote:
Girls from the Isaan region look different from Central and Northern Thai
You have to break Issan into 2 parts, which is Northern Issan and Southern Issan. Becasue Northern Issan and Southern Issan look nothing similar to one another.

"Northern Issan" will look just the same as Northern Thai or Center Thai. They have light skin and look East Asian. Becasue majority in Northern Issan are made up by Dai/Tai ethnic.

While "Southern Issan" in generally look totally different from Northern Issan,Northern Thai or Center Thai. In fact they look more like Mon-Khmer. Becasue most people over there are mostly Mon-Khmer ethnically.(Mon-Khmer are minority ethnic which made up only 7% of Thailand population).

Northern Issan



Southern Issan



They have clearly different in look and skin tone. Just like this ethnic map shown.

Northern Issan(Eastern) = Dai/Tai as majority.
Southern Issan(Eastern) = Mon-Khmer as majority.
 
Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 AM
 
138 posts, read 645,209 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranthad View Post
There are regional differences in Vietnam for sure but I've always felt as though it was much less compared to surrounding nations. Take China for example, not only are there various mutually unintelligible dialects of the Chinese language but the people living at the northern and southern extremes look distinctly different as well. The Northern Chinese differ not only in facial features and skin tone but in height and body size; something that you don't typically see among northern and southern Vietnamese. When compared to other South-East Asians such as the Thais and Filipinos, Vietnamese seem to have a lower range of phenotype and facial features. Girls from the Isaan region look different from Central and Northern Thai, for instance. The Cambodians, from what I've seen in California especially Long Beach, look to be quite diverse. Some could pass for Vietnamese, but most look quite different even to a Southern Vietnamese. I have yet to see a Vietnamese American that look similar to this Cambodian-American college student:


Quote:
Vietnamese seem to have a lower range of phenotype and facial features.
Not at all. In fact those Southern Vietnamese you are talking about are based on the one in Ho Chi Minh city and those area around South-Central coast, which has a lot of of Northerner migranted there as well as a lot of oversea Chinese living there, becasue it is the economical area.

Side note: Northern Vietnamese are basically original Mon-Khmer people who mixed with Chinese invader during 1000 years of occupation.

When it comes to Southeast, deep Southern around Mekong River Delta as well as Central highlands. Majority of Vietnamese over there look really Khmer-Khom or maybe Cham/Malay. Just like those people in Southern Thailand or Southern Issan Thailand.

So that definitely doesn't makes Vietnamese has lower range of look than the Thai.

Last edited by Ezio_Auditore; 10-14-2013 at 04:18 AM..
 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:13 AM
 
138 posts, read 645,209 times
Reputation: 42
Southeast Vietnam

Deep Southern Vietnam

Central highland


Most of them of them look Khmer. Some also look Malay/Cham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top