U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times

Advertisements

Vietnamese look MUCH more Northeast Asian to me. Culturally and physically look like that.

Thailand? Maybe the Chinese-Thai look Northeast Asian, but your Thai-Thai is much darker.

Vietnamese are just very very mixed with Chinese, which make most of them look very northeast asian.

If I see a Thai person and a Vietnamese person together, I'll always 100% assume that the lighter-skinned one is the Vietnamese one. (Exception being the obviously Chinese-Thai person who'll stand out as more ethnically Chinese right away).

Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 PM

84 posts, read 367,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Vietnamese look MUCH more Northeast Asian to me. Culturally and physically look like that.

Thailand? Maybe the Chinese-Thai look Northeast Asian, but your Thai-Thai is much darker.

Vietnamese are just very very mixed with Chinese, which make most of them look very northeast asian.

If I see a Thai person and a Vietnamese person together, I'll always 100% assume that the lighter-skinned one is the Vietnamese one. (Exception being the obviously Chinese-Thai person who'll stand out as more ethnically Chinese right away).
From many research I red, most people alway tell that Vietnamese race is originated in Southeast Asia at first place, while Thai race is originated in Northeast Asia but they migranted into Southeast Asia. So at my point of view, it is better to say that Thai has more of northernaly origin. Based on my real experience that I have been to both country. Thais are appeared to look more Northeast Asian than Vietnamese.

At my point of view.
I think that you are quite biased in here by telling that light skin Thai are Chinese ethnic, but not tell that light skin Vietnamese are Chinese ethnic?

It should even be oppersite since Vietnamese is racially more connected to Southeast Asian than Thai. Doesn't it suppose to mean that light skin Vietnamese are Chinese ethnic in Vietnam?, While light skin Thai are the pure Thai(Tai)?

Thai I meant in here is the ethnic Tai or Dai, that made up the most in Thailand and Lao.
Vietnamese I meant in here is the ethnic Kinh, that made up the most in Vietnam.

Last edited by Great_Jack; 04-16-2013 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
From many research I red, most people alway tell that Vietnamese race is originated in Southeast Asia at first place, while Thai race is originated in Northeast Asia but they migranted into Southeast Asia. So at my point of view, it is better to say that Thai has more of northernaly origin. Based on my real experience that I have been to both country. Thais are appeared to look more Northeast Asian than Vietnamese.

At my point of view.
I think that you are quite biased in here by telling that light skin Thai are Chinese ethnic, but not tell that light skin Vietnamese are Chinese ethnic?

It should even be oppersite since Vietnamese is racially more connected to Southeast Asian than Thai. Doesn't it suppose to mean that light skin Vietnamese are Chinese ethnic in Vietnam?, While light skin Thai are the pure Thai(Tai)?

Thai I meant in here is the ethnic Tai or Dai, that made up the most in Thailand and Lao.
Vietnamese I meant in here is the ethnic Kinh, that made up the most in Vietnam.
From what I know, Vietnamese and Chinese (in Vietnam) are just more thoroughly and thoroughly mixed mixed mixed and more mixed. So much so that, it you would seldom make the distinction between Chinese-Vietnamese and Vietnamese.

Whereas with Thailand, it seems you definitely have Chinese-Thai and Thai-Thai. Then you to northern Thailand to ILSAN....which is extemely famous for having the darkest-skinned women in Thailand, and also the 'most exotic' to white caucasian tastes. So, the majority of the poor prostitutes in BKK are almost always the very Thai-Thai ILSAN girls. You seldom ever see a Chinese-Thai girl from Ilsan. Which makes me believe that Chinese-Thai somehow have more opportunities or wealth or disctiction of some type.

Anyways, that's just my own humble opinion...take it or leave it or dismiss it.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
While light skin Thai are the pure Thai(Tai)?
I'd definitely say the opposite. ILSAN girls from northern Thailand, and the most Thai-Thai to me. I'd assume they have the least racial mixing, and just been in poverty in northern Thailand for ages and ages and ages.

Whereas Bangkok would have always been the great mixing bowl of people in. So, a Bangkok person probably has the lighter skin, due to more outside influences from China and otherwise.

ILSAN would be rural Thailand, and have the least amount of outside influences, traditionally. Although the dark-skinned ILSAN girl is very famous in the prostitute bars, and probably creating a whole new look in the coming centuries of Ilsan kids who have Ilsan mothers and completely absent and unknowing international fathers from around the world.

But, in short, I'd personally say that a large rural area like ILSAN would be more representative of the true THAI. Not the light-skinned historically mixed Bangkok. That being said, Bangkok also has tons and tons and tons of the rural farmgirl all over the city as well, but almost always dark-skinned.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
From what I know, Vietnamese and Chinese (in Vietnam) are just more thoroughly and thoroughly mixed mixed mixed and more mixed. So much so that, it you would seldom make the distinction between Chinese-Vietnamese and Vietnamese.

Whereas with Thailand, it seems you definitely have Chinese-Thai and Thai-Thai. Then you to northern Thailand to ILSAN....which is extemely famous for having the darkest-skinned women in Thailand, and also the 'most exotic' to white caucasian tastes. So, the majority of the poor prostitutes in BKK are almost always the very Thai-Thai ILSAN girls. You seldom ever see a Chinese-Thai girl from Ilsan. Which makes me believe that Chinese-Thai somehow have more opportunities or wealth or disctiction of some type.

Anyways, that's just my own humble opinion...take it or leave it or dismiss it.
The funny thing is you are mention about nothing but ISSAN girl which majority of perple in ISSAN area of Thailand are mostly made up by Cambodian/ Khmer ethnic and KHMER ethnic is only 7% of Thailand population.

Remember that ethnic that made up the most of Thailand population is the Tai/Dai ethnic. Which made up 75%.

If you are going to ask how does Tai/Dai look like? Well, the look similar to most of people in area of S. China. Which is nothing close to the KHMER minority in ISSAN of Thailand.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I'd definitely say the opposite. ILSAN girls from northern Thailand, and the most Thai-Thai to me. I'd assume they have the least racial mixing, and just been in poverty in northern Thailand for ages and ages and ages.

Whereas Bangkok would have always been the great mixing bowl of people in. So, a Bangkok person probably has the lighter skin, due to more outside influences from China and otherwise.

ILSAN would be rural Thailand, and have the least amount of outside influences, traditionally. Although the dark-skinned ILSAN girl is very famous in the prostitute bars, and probably creating a whole new look in the coming centuries of Ilsan kids who have Ilsan mothers and completely absent and unknowing international fathers from around the world.

But, in short, I'd personally say that a large rural area like ILSAN would be more representative of the true THAI. Not the light-skinned historically mixed Bangkok. That being said, Bangkok also has tons and tons and tons of the rural farmgirl all over the city as well, but almost always dark-skinned.
Then again, it is just quite funny to me that you are claiming 7% of KHMER minority of ISSAN are the most representative of Thailand, while you are blaming that other 75% of Thailand population who are Dai/Tai ethnic that has light skin to be Thai-Chinese? It is just none sense at all to use minority of 7% to be the representative of the country.

Based on this map, areas of ISSAN you are talking about are made up by nothing but KHMER/Cambodian

You are using minority of Chinese-Vietnamese to compare with minority of Khmer-Thai and saying that Vietnamese do look more Northeast Asian lol? That is just really of fail. In order compare about ethnic and looking, aren't we have to use the etinic that made up the most population of the country to be based? Why is the point to use minority to compare?

Kinh is = 86% of Vietnam
Dai is = 75% of Thailand

I really doubt if you compare majority of of the country like Dai-Thai with Kinh-Vietnamese, I would say the Dai-Thai will generally appear to look quite more Northeast Asian than Kinh-Vietnamese for most of time. Because the Dai of Thailand is originated in Northeast Asia but recently moved into Southeast Asia, while Kinh of Vietnam are the people who have been living in Southeast Asia for a really long time at least 10,000+ years.So it is betterto say that Thai is racially more related to Northeast Asian than Vietnamese.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Quote:
Then again, it is just quite funny to me that you are claiming 7% of KHMER minority of ISSAN are the most representative of Thailand, while you are blaming that other 75% of Thailand population who are Dai/Tai ethnic that has light skin to be Thai-Chinese? It is just none sense at all to use minority of 7% to be the representative of the country.

Based on this map, areas of ISSAN you are talking about are made up by nothing but KHMER/Cambodian

You are using minority of Chinese-Vietnamese to compare with minority of Khmer-Thai and saying that Vietnamese do look more Northeast Asian lol? That is just really of fail. In order compare about ethnic and looking, aren't we have to use the etinic that made up the most population of the country to be based? Why is the point to use minority to compare?

Kinh is = 86% of Vietnam
Dai is = 75% of Thailand

I really doubt if you compare majority of of the country like Dai-Thai with Kinh-Vietnamese, I would say the Dai-Thai will generally appear to look quite more Northeast Asian than Kinh-Vietnamese for most of time. Because the Dai of Thailand is originated in Northeast Asia but recently moved into Southeast Asia, while Kinh of Vietnam are the people who have been living in Southeast Asia for a really long time at least 10,000+ years.So it is betterto say that Thai is racially more related to Northeast Asian than Vietnamese.
actually northern thailand aka Issan...aka most of the bar girls in thailand are of Lao descent.....Lao are also Tai...just like what tai are....both are brown skinned or dark....its usually in the cities that thai are light skin...you go to the country side where all the real thai are at and they are all dark

btw its Tai not Dai......

if you go to vietnamese countryside you find dark and light skin people...thus viet are more EA genetically then thai....
btw vietnamese are genetically half chinese since they mixed with han chinese for 1,000 years...so that in itself makes vietnamese more EA

many of the hilltribe like hmong are vastly more EA looking then the lowland villagers in thailand

Last edited by ejay1; 04-18-2013 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 PM

138 posts, read 643,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
actually northern thailand aka Issan...aka most of the bar girls in thailand are of Lao descent.....Lao are also Tai...just like what tai are....both are brown skinned or dark....its usually in the cities that thai are light skin...you go to the country side where all the real thai are at and they are all dark

if you go to vietnamese countryside you find dark and light skin people...thus viet are more EA genetically then thai....
btw vietnamese are genetically half chinese since they mixed with han chinese for 1,000 years...so that in itself makes vietnamese more EA

many of the hilltribe like hmong are vastly more EA looking then the lowland villagers in thailand
I think you are confusing about many thing in here.

Quote:
aka most of the bar girls in thailand are of Lao descent
Nope, They are Khmer descent just like this map shown, areas of Issan around border of Cambodia that bar girls are generally from, majority there are Khmer

Quote:
They are the same thing, Thai/Tai/Dai are all pronoun the same and mean the same just only different spelling.

Quote:
Lao are also Tai...just like what tai are....both are brown skinned or dark
These are Northern Thailand where majority are made up by pure Thai, No Chinese mixing in Northern area of Thailand.

Their skin tone obviously look nothing close to brown, if you are still going to say that they are brown then Vietnamese are x2 more brown then them (I am talking about Northern Vietnamese btw).

Quote:
thus viet are more EA genetically then thai....
I don't believe so about this, since every evidence are shown that Thai are more related to Northeast Asian and even have been in Southeast Asia a lot shorter than Vietnamese.

1. Vietnamese have been living in Southeast Asia for at least 20,000 years, while Thai has history in Southeast Asia only 700-800 years.

2. Language, Thai is more related to many Northeast Asian language based on grammatically and core vocabs, while Vietnamese is totally different from any Northeast Asian language based on grammatically and core vocabs (only borrowed words that came from Chinese influence that is similar to Chinese, btw borrowed words aren't the root of the language, so it couldn't use to be determine)

3. Phenotype when face to face comparison. Thai do look more Northeast Asian.

Quote:
Yes, that is the point. Since Northern Vietnameses are mixed with Chinese but when it comes to face to face comparison, they still appear to be darker than Northern Thais who are purely Dai-Thai without mix. Now just think about it, how much Vietnamese are going to be darker if they didn't mix with Chinese?

Here is face to face comparison.

Northern Thai

Northern Vietnamese

It still appears that Thais those generally walking around streets are lighter than Vietnameses those generally walking around streets .

Quote:
Those hill tribes are extremely minority in Thailand, they didn't even make up to 1% of total population of Thailand, so I guess there is no point to mention about them in here.

Last edited by Ezio_Auditore; 04-18-2013 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 04:50 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Issan actually borders Laos as well....you dont even know the geography of your own country??
most of the BG in thailand will tell you they are laotian descent
Btw southern chinese are not northeast asian....lol so that doesnt make you NEA if your from southern china

I look at it more then just skin color....I look at it from features as well

vietnamese are just more chinese looking then thai

woman from chiang mai
http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/med...1350606971.jpg

northern vietnamese girls
http://www.liferollercoaster.com/wp-...ds/hanoi_3.jpg

Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Hm.....

I am just wondering, what make ejay1 to stands against Thai at all cost? Did he has personal issue or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.