Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
From what I heard from Thais in Northern/Northeast areas of Thailand, They said that they are originally Dai/Thai, but yet their appereance still look no different from Chinese. Also I see some kind of minority like Hmong/Lisu too, they also look just like Chinese.

So I wouldn't say only Chinese ethnic that could look East Asian in Southeast Asia. There seem to be other ethnics like Thai-Dai/Hmong/ hill tribes too that have look of East Asian.

Another thing is I have some Thai friends too, their apperance look like East Asian just the same as Chinese but none of them tell me that they are Chinese or they be able to speak Chinese or having Chinese name, they only say to me that they are Thai and their name are some form of Thai unique name that not similar to the Chinese name also they said they only speak Thai.
There are two possibilities.

One is they are 1) Han Chinese of Thai nationality or 2) Thai mixed with Chinese.

The DNA of most Black Americans for example, have about 10 to 15 per cent of white admixture.

I'm not saying that the Thais and Vietnamese you see who look mixed can't be mixed. What I said is that most of the Thais and Vietnamese I see do not fall into this category. If it were, then yes, I'd say Southern Chinese (who are Han) and Southeast Asia have similar DNA. It would be fallacious to say that Southeast Asians and Southern Chinese DNA are "similar' which was a fallacious remark made by somebody earlier that I responded to.

The Cambodians (been to Siem Reap twice), Malays in Malaysia (have been many times), the Indonesians (been to Bali and Jakarta), the Filipinos and most of the Thais (been to Phuket and Bangkok 4 times), Vietnamese (been to Saigon) I see do not look like Singapore (been many times), Guangzhou (been), Shenzhen (been), Hong Kong (been many times), Taiwanese people (been many times) at all and its not just the fact that the second group look more trendily garbed.

Southern Chinese is Han Chinese. Most people from Southeast Asia except Singapore (run through the list of countries) are not.

The difference is actually very stark, especially in mundane day to day observations!

In the US, the East Asians are most visible Asian immigrants (in the US, the term Asian immediately connotes East Asian while the term Asian in the UK means Indian/Pakistani). White Americans have had no problems identifying Chinese Americans who have parents or grandparents from HK, Singapore, Guangzhou, Fujian (Xiamen), Shenzhen as Han Chinese Americans at all! If there was any confusion, it'd be they can't tell them from Korean American. But white Americans have no issue telling a Filipino American from them. Or a Cambodian immigrant from them. This is just ridiculous.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-23-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If you want to talk in 'races' then Vietnamese are the same race as Chinese, Japanese, Koreans. Are you trying to say Viets are different from these? Traditionally the Mongoloid race included everyone from Siberia to Java.

They're definitely not all Hoa...in fact Hanoi has hardly any Hoa compared to Saigon, and I'm talking about all the people I saw on the street. Some of these girls might be Hoa but the overwhelming majority are Kinh.
I'm not talking about that "three big race" thing. If so, then a Japanese would have the same DNA racially as an Indonesian.

Majority of Vietnamese are Austroasiatic and my Vietnamese friend tells me originally the first Vietnamese traveled there from Indonesia.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
There are two possibilities.

One is they are 1) Han Chinese of Thai nationality or 2) Thai mixed with Chinese.

The DNA of most Black Americans for example, have about 10 to 15 per cent of white admixture.

I'm not saying that the Thais and Vietnamese you see who look mixed can't be mixed. What I said is that most of the Thais and Vietnamese I see do not fall into this category. If it were, then yes, I'd say Southern Chinese (who are Han) and Southeast Asia have similar DNA. It would be fallacious to say that Southeast Asians and Southern Chinese DNA are "similar' which was a fallacious remark made by somebody earlier that I responded to.

The Cambodians, Malays in Malaysia, the Indonesians, the Filipinos and most of the Thais, Vietnamese I see do not look like Singapore, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Taiwanese people at all and its not just the fact that the second group look more trendily garbed.

Southern Chinese is Han Chinese. Most people from Southeast Asia except Singapore (run through the list of countries) are not.

The difference is actually very stark, especially in mundane day to day observations!

In the US, the East Asians are most visible Asian immigrants (in the US, the term Asian immediately connotes East Asian while the term Asian in the UK means Indian/Pakistani). White Americans have had no problems identifying Chinese Americans who have parents or grandparents from HK, Singapore, Guangzhou, Fujian (Xiamen), Shenzhen as Han Chinese Americans at all! If there was any confusion, it'd be they can't tell them from Korean American. But white Americans have no issue telling a Filipino American from them. Or a Cambodian immigrant from them.
It's a cline...there are no definite boundaries between ethnicities. If you look at genetic charts, Vietnamese are at least as close to Southern Han as they are to Cambodians. Some Cambodians even look S.Chinese. I was actually once asked if I was Cambodian, by another Asian. Pol Pot was part Chinese but could easily pass in Singapore. But yes, I agree, I can usually tell Cambodians, Thai, Malays from Han Chinese from China, Vietnamese are a lot easier to mistake but I can often tell, but most Westerners can't. I live in Footscray which has a lot of Vietnamese and some Chinese and it's not always easy to tell. The fact many are Hoa further confuses things. There are also an increasing number of Koreans here. I can quite easily tell apart Koreans from Southern Chinese, certainly moreso than S.Chinese and Viets. Koreans and N.Chinese, on the other hand, often look similar.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about that "three big race" thing. If so, then a Japanese would have the same DNA racially as an Indonesian.

Majority of Vietnamese are Austroasiatic and my Vietnamese friend tells me originally the first Vietnamese traveled there from Indonesia.
Austroasiatic is mostly a cultural thing. Viet civilisation began in the Red River delta, in Hanoi, less than 100 miles from the border with CHINA. Southern VN wasn't even Vietnamese until 500 years ago. There are many wild theories out there, never heard the Indonesian one...maybe your friend was talking about the CHAM people, who are thought to have come from Borneo. Some Viets claim they've been in Vietnam 20,000 years but I doubt that. Their civilisation is at least 4000 years old though.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:36 AM

In the US, the East Asians are most visible Asian immigrants (in the US, the term Asian immediately connotes East Asian while the term Asian in the UK means Indian/Pakistani). White Americans have had no problems identifying Chinese Americans who have parents or grandparents from HK, Singapore, Guangzhou, Fujian (Xiamen), Shenzhen as Han Chinese Americans at all! If there was any confusion, it'd be they can't tell them from Korean American.

But white Americans have no problems telling a Filipino American from them in a heartbeat!! Or a Cambodian immigrant from them.

This is just ridiculous.

A typical Chinese American with Han Chinese (southern) ancestry.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1222408
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505266_1...n-self-is-key/

Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Do you accept that most of those pictures are not of Hoa? I've been to Hanoi, you haven't, so I know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:

In the US, the East Asians are most visible Asian immigrants (in the US, the term Asian immediately connotes East Asian while the term Asian in the UK means Indian/Pakistani). White Americans have had no problems identifying Chinese Americans who have parents or grandparents from HK, Singapore, Guangzhou, Fujian (Xiamen), Shenzhen as Han Chinese Americans at all! If there was any confusion, it'd be they can't tell them from Korean American.

But white Americans have no problems telling a Filipino American from them in a heartbeat!! Or a Cambodian immigrant from them.

This is just ridiculous.

A typical Chinese American with Han Chinese (southern) ancestry.
"Jeremy Lin of the '90s": Belief in self is key - CBS News
What's Jeremy Lin's ancestry? Many Taiwanese come from all over China. I'm not saying there aren't S.Chinese who look like him, there are, but is he of predominantly southern ancestry?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It's a cline...there are no definite boundaries between ethnicities. If you look at genetic charts, Vietnamese are at least as close to Southern Han as they are to Cambodians. Some Cambodians even look S.Chinese. I was actually once asked if I was Cambodian, by another Asian. Pol Pot was part Chinese but could easily pass in Singapore. But yes, I agree, I can usually tell Cambodians, Thai, Malays from Han Chinese from China, Vietnamese are a lot easier to mistake but I can often tell, but most Westerners can't. I live in Footscray which has a lot of Vietnamese and some Chinese and it's not always easy to tell. The fact many are Hoa further confuses things. There are also an increasing number of Koreans here. I can quite easily tell apart Koreans from Southern Chinese, certainly moreso than S.Chinese and Viets. Koreans and N.Chinese, on the other hand, often look similar.
The boundaries are not definite because of admixtures over time. But I can tell most non Hoa Vietnamese from Han Chinese in the US.

I'm unable to tell Chinese Americans of any kind from Korean Americans.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM

The DNA of Japanese, Chinese and Koreans show that they are practically the same race, in the same way the admixture of a German, Pole, Brit, French and Austrian will look like.

Making sense of DNA data and the origins of the Japanese | Heritage of Japan

Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
What's Jeremy Lin's ancestry? Many Taiwanese come from all over China. I'm not saying there aren't S.Chinese who look like him, there are, but is he of predominantly southern ancestry?
Taiwanese are mostly from Fujian province, this is well known. Many guys in Taipei look like Jeremy Lin. In fact many guys in Seoul (have lived there for a year teaching English) and Hong Kong look like that too. Face wise at least. Jeremy is much taller than the average ASIAN man from anywhere!

What do you mean by "all over China"? If you think about it, whether it be China or the US, people move. That's how new cities are formed and how the world develops. So the people from Fujian also moved from another part of China right?!

You ask me, is Jeremy predominantly Southern ancestry..don't you think your question is funny? This means all the Han Chinese who now reside in ALL THE SOUTHERN CHINESE CITIES like Guangdong province, Fujian province, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore blah blah, and we all know their ancestors came from there, you can call into question and ask is "each one of them of southern ancestry"?! This is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia