U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 22,759 times

Advertisements

I know that China, or pretty much all of Asia dislikes the Japanese because of WWII. But I know Hong kong isn't part of China, so I'm wondering if they dislike japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 PM

12,467 posts, read 18,556,530 times
Hong Kong is part of China, a somewhat self-administrated region, but still belonging to PRC.
...and the people are Chinese. Hong Kong was invaded and occupied by Japan and went through hardships which include food shortages and forced relocation to the mainland.
The dislike for Japanese extend through all of Asia, mostly from those who are elderly and have first hand knowledge of there brutality during the war (and for good reason, as Japan have yet to fully apologize for or acknowlege there war crimes). I was talking to a Singaporean co-worker who's grandparents absolutely hate the Japanese for what they did in the war.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM

846 posts, read 950,864 times
HKers are a lot less nationalistic than the mainland Chinese. Most younger HKers have the same fascination of the Japanese as the typical Westerner. Some older Hkers that I know dislike Japanese. Not so much that they would boycott or actively act out their dislike. They would voice simply voice their disapproval if at all.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

12,803 posts, read 15,226,742 times
I agree. Most younger generation HK'ers are fascinated with Japanese culture and Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
HKers are a lot less nationalistic than the mainland Chinese. Most younger HKers have the same fascination of the Japanese as the typical Westerner. Some older Hkers that I know dislike Japanese. Not so much that they would boycott or actively act out their dislike. They would voice simply voice their disapproval if at all.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,692,877 times
You can't generalise and say all Chinese.etc hate Japan. It's hard to say what percentage really despises them, what percent dislikes them, and what the nature of their dislike for Japan is. Emotions are too complex to really quantify. I do know many older Hong Kongers do begrudge the Japanese for war-time atrocities, but I'm guessing a Japanese person going there probably would not really experience a very hostile vibe in general from most people.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM

208 posts, read 224,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ST0N View Post
I know that China, or pretty much all of Asia dislikes the Japanese because of WWII. But I know Hong kong isn't part of China, so I'm wondering if they dislike japan.
I'm not sure why you claim that "pretty much all of Asia dislikes the Japanese" without providing any evidence. Most of countries have moved on from WW2 already and have friendly relationships with Japan. The 2012 BBC GlobeScan survey shows that Japan is the most positively viewed nation in the world right now.

The survey that was conducted in 2005 shows that the most favourable publics are Indonesians and Filipinos, with very high majorities leaning positive (85% and 79%).

Taiwan was colonized by Japan for 50 years, but the survey shows that Taiwanese people select Japan as their favorite country.
Quote:
Similar to the previous two surveys, most Taiwanese continued to list Japan as their favorite foreign country or region, with 41 percent of respondents choosing Japan, 8 percent opting for the US, 8 percent saying China and 6 percent preferring the EU, while 37 percent offered no opinions.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/06/23/2003536064
As for Hong Kongers, the University of Hong Kong conducted a survey on Hong Kong citizens feeling towards different peoples last year and it shows that they dislike more Mainland Chinese people than Japanese people.
Quote:
Our latest findings showed that, as regards the results of peoples feeling towards different peoples, 51% felt positive towards Hong Kong people themselves while 8% felt negative. For the other cross-strait regions, the corresponding positive figures for the Mainland, Taiwan and Macau peoples were 28%, 57% and 52%, while the corresponding negative figures were 29%, 5% and 2%.As for the peoples of other regions and countries, the positive figures for Singapore, Japan, Canada, Australia, South Korea, the United Kingdom and Thailand were highest, with 61%, 57%, 52%, 50%, 49%, 45% and 41% respectively, while those for the Germany, the United States, France and Italy were 39%, 38%, 32% and 24% correspondingly. Lastly, only 17% expressed positive feelings towards the people of the Philippines.http://hkupop.hku.hk/english/release/release933.html

Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,068,385 times
Non-Mainlanders normally differentiate the actions of the Japanese army during WW2 from today's common Japanese people. Blame and hate the atrocities, not the people.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,710,139 times
It's rather complicated, and depends by age. Older residents with memories of the war are likely to voice disapproval, but there isn't the hostility you might find in Beijing or Shanghai that blows up over the Diaoyutai islands dispute and folks smashing Japanese brand cars. Many youth enjoy Japanese pop culture, such as the Sanrio Hello Kitty characters, comic books (manga).

And many expatriate Japanese live in Hong Kong and enjoy it - in fact, a number of Japanese woman come to work here because they're away from the limited opportunities for career development for women in Japan.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 AM

208 posts, read 224,086 times
I was surprised when I saw Hong Kongers celebrateing the birth of "Doraemon", a Japanese anime/manga character --100 years early. "Doraemon" has been popular for more than 40 years and it has been embedded into the memories of many people in Asia, kids and adults, guys and girls.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM

843 posts, read 1,385,129 times
The simple answer is No.

There are plenty of reasons to hate Japan for what it did in the WWII but there is no reason to hate Japanese people per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or