U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 AM

956 posts, read 1,545,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk1234 View Post
I went to south korea, I'm a young caucasian girl. I felt alienated. Appearance is everything. Depending on how white your skin colour, your eyes, your hair, your skin. I had consistenet eyes on me to the point I felt I was too ugly to go out to a shopping centre. I traveled with my korean boyfriend. He told me girls would say my freckles were ugly and how my skin was too white, my eyes were too for my big face was disproportioned and my louis vuitton hand bag made me look like some *****. he felt he had to tell me because he felt hurt and angry by how people spoke about me even when they were standing right next to me. I didn't have much language knowledge but what if I did. As a girl being self conscious because worse and a daily worry. It sounds extremely ridiculous but I didn't feel pretty in south korea I felt like was a piece of garbage. People whisper and talk in seoul you'll see more foreingers but I stayed in Bucheon and I was the only non south korean person. I understand as a country where almost 98% of the population is South Koreans you would expect staring but not when it becomes something that stands out most you almost become excited to go home. I understand some people want nothing to do with foreigners and dislike them. I'm accepting of there culture but I would second guess going back because of what I went through. I love the food, the shopping, the scenery but the people spoiled it for me. I would be way to scared to talk to a korean girl.
Did you have different experiences in other places such as China(including HK, Macau, etc.), Japan, Taiwan, or others?(If you've been to any other asian countries)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk1234 View Post
I went to south korea, I'm a young caucasian girl. I felt alienated. Appearance is everything. Depending on how white your skin colour, your eyes, your hair, your skin. I had consistenet eyes on me to the point I felt I was too ugly to go out to a shopping centre. I traveled with my korean boyfriend. He told me girls would say my freckles were ugly and how my skin was too white, my eyes were too for my big face was disproportioned and my louis vuitton hand bag made me look like some *****. he felt he had to tell me because he felt hurt and angry by how people spoke about me even when they were standing right next to me. I didn't have much language knowledge but what if I did. As a girl being self conscious because worse and a daily worry. It sounds extremely ridiculous but I didn't feel pretty in south korea I felt like was a piece of garbage. People whisper and talk in seoul you'll see more foreingers but I stayed in Bucheon and I was the only non south korean person. I understand as a country where almost 98% of the population is South Koreans you would expect staring but not when it becomes something that stands out most you almost become excited to go home. I understand some people want nothing to do with foreigners and dislike them. I'm accepting of there culture but I would second guess going back because of what I went through. I love the food, the shopping, the scenery but the people spoiled it for me. I would be way to scared to talk to a korean girl.
What a weird post. How old are you?

I also have white skin and even some freckles (with my Irish ancestry mix) and lived in Korea for 7-8 years. I didn't have any of those experiences at all.

But, if I take your post at face value, my immediate impression is that your BOYFRIEND had some serious insecurity issues, and you do too, and he was feeding you constant constant lines of lies, to make you feel much more insecure, so that you'd stay with him.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM

102 posts, read 320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I also have white skin and even some freckles (with my Irish ancestry mix) and lived in Korea for 7-8 years. I didn't have any of those experiences at all.

But, if I take your post at face value, my immediate impression is that your BOYFRIEND had some serious insecurity issues, and you do too, and he was feeding you constant constant lines of lies, to make you feel much more insecure, so that you'd stay with him.
It is weird. I say she has personal problems. I think boyfriend knows how to use her since she has weak mind.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:

I don't know, I actually find her story somewhat believable. I think some of those girls were just talking out of jealousy, and it's not common for people to say bad things about foreigners especially if they assume they will not be understood. Especially about big eyes, why would they make fun of you if having eye surgery is so popular in Korea? Unless they were jealous... I don't know why I keep hearing negative things about Koreans in Korea, where there must be smoke there must be fire but I'm not going to write them all off without visiting. Since I don't speak Korean there will probably some things I'll never know. All I can base my experiences on are with Koreans I've met here, and they were all positive. They were all young people, more worldly-minded, so probably not a good sample of the average Korean.

Of course it's possible the boyfriend is feeding her lies, but I'm actually inclined to think he might just be telling the truth. Maybe at first he didn't want to hurt her feelings but as time got on he got sick of it. Either way, I have heard of foreigner's having rather weird experiences in Korea.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
Quote:

You're a man, it's different.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
You're a man, it's different.
I was going to mention that too.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't know, I actually find her story somewhat believable. I think some of those girls were just talking out of jealousy, and it's not common for people to say bad things about foreigners especially if they assume they will not be understood. Especially about big eyes, why would they make fun of you if having eye surgery is so popular in Korea? Unless they were jealous... I don't know why I keep hearing negative things about Koreans in Korea, where there must be smoke there must be fire but I'm not going to write them all off without visiting. Since I don't speak Korean there will probably some things I'll never know. All I can base my experiences on are with Koreans I've met here, and they were all positive. They were all young people, more worldly-minded, so probably not a good sample of the average Korean.

Of course it's possible the boyfriend is feeding her lies, but I'm actually inclined to think he might just be telling the truth. Maybe at first he didn't want to hurt her feelings but as time got on he got sick of it. Either way, I have heard of foreigner's having rather weird experiences in Korea.
Well, no western woman is 'too ugly' to go to a shopping centre just because of having white skin, as she was saying, (unless it's an obesity issue, she didn't mention). Koreans worship white skin, among any race. I've never heard any Korean ever say that anyone was 'too white'. Koreans will regularly compliment people on their 'white skin'. You'd more quickly hear them say 'I wish I had skin like yours', than hating on someone for it.

I've also never heard a Korean ever say someone's eyes were 'too big'. They may say a foreigner has 'big eyes', but I've never heard it in a derogatory way there.

She also mentioned that women didn't like her 'Louis Vuitton' bag. Korean women worship accessories. I've never heard of Korean girls hating on a white woman for her designer bag. They collect designer bags themselves.

Those were her three big complaints that she had. I can understand if she was 'too fat', or her clothes were not fashionable, or some other insecurity. I can understand a large realm of possible insecurities. But those three, I don't understand.

But if she really believes that Koreans hate women with designer bags, white skin, and large eyes; than I can really only assume that her boyfriend did some manipulative lies to make her feel insecure about such things. Even moreso since she doesn't speak Korean, is scared to even talk to a Korean woman, and went everywhere with her boyfriend who 'translated' everything for her.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,077 times
The food in South Korea is delicious and tasty but spicy, such as "kimchee". The Korean just look down on people in poor countries, in my opinion. In any way, it is an absolutely safe place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia