Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times

Advertisements

Food - I love Korean food. It's cheap. It is homogeneous though. Everything they eat, comes a very exact and specific way. You don't see much variation from restaurant to restaurant. That's not to say some don't make it better though, but it's basically a very set ingredient everytime with little added to that. There are some international food in Itaewon, but generally you're better off with Korean food. If you get something like pasta or pizza, they'll always make the tomato sauce way too spicey and unedible. I like hot foods a lot, but not in my pasta and pizza. Korean food is great though.

Nightlife - I wouldn't say 'high quality', but nightlife is definitely plentiful and abundant. It goes 24 hours, there is no closing time. I've actually stayed up all night drinking and went right on into the next day. Made it home by 6pm about 24 hours later. So, yeah, goes all the time. That being said, it's best between 11pm-5am.

Culture - Are they friendly to Americans? Yes, individually. They put out a lot of effort to be practice and use english and such. They don't necessarily like the u.s. military there, but this won't effect you much at all as a tourist.

Transportation - Subways are around $1.50 (at least a few years ago, they seem to be going up). Taxis are cheap though. I can be in a taxi for 30-40 minutes and still not reach $20.

Airport - How clean and advanced is it? It's clean and has amenities. Many people really like it. I think it's just typically clean and advanced just like any other Asian airport.

Safety - How safe is Seoul for Americans? Extremely safe.

Architecture - Interesting? If you like neon lights, you'll love it. Not that interesting in the daytime though.

Best time to visit - Weather included? - I'd say Spring or Fall.

Neighborhoods - Which are the most unique? Which are must see? Why? HongDae, Shinchon, Itaewon, Apkujung and Gangneum, and a few others that escape me at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 01:56 AM

16 posts, read 45,007 times
I came across this thread and wanted it discussed more.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 PM

29,807 posts, read 18,665,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I was interested in learning more about Seoul South Korea for those who have been. Please, tell me about the following.

Food - Varied? Homogenous? Tasty? How were the prices?
Nightlife - High Quality? When are closing times?
Culture - Are they friendly to Americans?
Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? When does it close? How many stations? How clean is it?
Airport - How clean and advanced is it?
Safety - How safe is Seoul for Americans?
Architecture - Interesting?
Best time to visit - Weather included?
Neighborhoods - Which are the most unique? Which are must see? Why?

I lived in Seoul for about a year working at Samsung Engineering. Here's my opinions:

Food was very good and you have a wide selection of all types of food. The Koreans are fastidious about food and it's safe to eat there. Prices are moderate.

Nightlife - I'm married so wasn't partying but there are party areas. Keep in mind that Seoul is a very busy city set up for making $$ rather than partying.

Culture - they are polite to Americans but I wouldn't call it a warm relationship.

How clean - very

Airport is in Incheon and is very modern. Subway system is fabulous and extensive.

Safety - safest city I've ever been in is my opinion. You would have to start trouble would be the only way you would have a problem.

Architecture - It's mostly a modern world city but there's some interesting architecture.

Best time to visit I would say either spring or fall.

Neighborhoods - I lived in Gangnum Gu which is where the rich and famous are. Itaewon is where foreigners hang out. I can't remember the name of the most famous area of old Seoul but it starts with an M I believe.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 AM

6,883 posts, read 8,860,936 times
What are some of your top suggested things to do/visit, Tall Traveler?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM

29,807 posts, read 18,665,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post

A lot depends on what you're after. I would say the Seoul Tower is worth going to. You can take a bus tour that's very good that will take you up to the Seoul Tower.

Itaewon is where a lot of foreigners hang out and that is a good place to go if you want to party.

I lived next to the Coex Mall and there's a lot to see in that area....nice restaurants, nice bar across the street where they have shows like juggling things that they light on fire and it's interesting to see once or twice...probably wouldn't pass fire code in the US.

Myeongdong is more of a traditional area with a cool local market. Lotte World market kind of interesting.

Also worth going to the DMZ tour if you have that interest.

War memorial worth going to.

If you're going to be there any lenth of time, learn the subway system. If you're in halfway decent shape, you can just take the subway and walk the rest of the way.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,548,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
50 beautiful places to visit in Korea | CNN Travel

Depends on how much time you have. There are a lot of beautiful areas of Korea and a great train system.

But if you are just staying in Seoul I'd check out this list. It tells you how to get to each area. I love the shopping districts and karaoke spots with friends. 21 Hotspots: Where to Go in Seoul and How to Get There | Seoulistic – Korea Simplified

Seoul: 10 Things to Do — Introduction - TIME

Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,080,421 times
People on this thread seemed to imply that if you're a black American, you're not going to be treated very well...is this true?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People on this thread seemed to imply that if you're a black American, you're not going to be treated very well...is this true?
No, it's not true.

I'm not black, but I do know a handful of Black Americans who really enjoyed living in South Korea.

There is racism in Korea, but there is also racism in the United States. Generally, Koreans are just curious and uniformed, there isn't any maliciousness to it.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 28,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I'm as white as they come lol, Irish heritage. Will this be a problem For me in Seoul?
it's a great place if you are white. but if you are darker than koreans, not so much. also if you are white and come from the 2nd world or the 3rd world, you will meet racist people.

note that some middle aged people might randomly rant at you regardless if you are a foreigner. so smile when you walk around the city. haha

Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
I went to south korea, I'm a young caucasian girl. I felt alienated. Appearance is everything. Depending on how white your skin colour, your eyes, your hair, your skin. I had consistenet eyes on me to the point I felt I was too ugly to go out to a shopping centre. I traveled with my korean boyfriend. He told me girls would say my freckles were ugly and how my skin was too white, my eyes were too for my big face was disproportioned and my louis vuitton hand bag made me look like some *****. he felt he had to tell me because he felt hurt and angry by how people spoke about me even when they were standing right next to me. I didn't have much language knowledge but what if I did. As a girl being self conscious because worse and a daily worry. It sounds extremely ridiculous but I didn't feel pretty in south korea I felt like was a piece of garbage. People whisper and talk in seoul you'll see more foreingers but I stayed in Bucheon and I was the only non south korean person. I understand as a country where almost 98% of the population is South Koreans you would expect staring but not when it becomes something that stands out most you almost become excited to go home. I understand some people want nothing to do with foreigners and dislike them. I'm accepting of there culture but I would second guess going back because of what I went through. I love the food, the shopping, the scenery but the people spoiled it for me. I would be way to scared to talk to a korean girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia