U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 AM

6,634 posts, read 8,344,483 times

Advertisements

Busan is South Korea's second city and a very beautiful, advanced, and thriving one at that. It's size difference with Seoul would be my first guess as to why it's so far overshadowed but could it be something else?

For those that have been to Busan, what are your impressions of it?

What are some interesting things about Busan?

What type of city is it, historical or post-modern and updated?

Would you say the city is definitely underrated on the global podium?

Thanks in advance everyone, I have to admit that I'm in general quite fascinated with the smaller cities that pack quite a heavy punch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times
I think even Seoul was very overlooked until recently. It probably first really appeared on the world stage during the 1988 Summer Olympics, which was when South Korea was rising as an economic power. Korea's cultural influence on the world is still just beginning, so at the moment more people are focusing on Seoul, which totally dominates Korea (over half the population live there) in almost every aspect. It's kinda like Osaka, despite Japan's popularity it seems Osaka seems overlooked considering it's size (it's actually pretty massive, 10 million in the metro and 18 million in the greater Kansai plain). Perhaps as Korea gets better known Busan will become more well-known on the world stage.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,211,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Busan is South Korea's second city and a very beautiful, advanced, and thriving one at that. It's size difference with Seoul would be my first guess as to why it's so far overshadowed but could it be something else?

For those that have been to Busan, what are your impressions of it?

What are some interesting things about Busan?

What type of city is it, historical or post-modern and updated?

Thanks in advance everyone, I have to admit that I'm in general quite fascinated with the smaller cities that pack quite a heavy punch.
I lived in Busan in 1996-1997. Back than it was called 'Pusan'.

I'll reserve my impressions, but 15 years ago, it was very provincial-minded. I've heard it's changed along with much of South Korea though.

Interesting things about Busan: Lots of mountains and beaches. But, it's basically very typical Korean.

Type of city: Well, the Korean War basically pushed all of the provincial rural Koreans into the very tip of South Korea. There was nothing there during the Korean War, but many of those people just stayed there and built a city. Many people say that's why the people have such a provincial mindset. Basically almost everything in all of South Korea including Busan was built up after the Korean War. From nothing to something. It all looks pretty much the same throughout the country. If you dropped me off in Seoul or Busan or Daejeon or Daegu or Gwangju or Pohang or wherever else, it's going to be essentially look exactly the same, except for whatever natural landmarks might be there, like a certain mountain formation in the background, etc.

Underrated on the Global Podium. Well...I guess so. I don't know, is Chongqing underrated in China? There are over 15 million people there. I guess it might be. Without having been to Chongqing I can't say if it deserves to be underrated or not.

I will say that Busan has a bit more beautiful setting than others parts of South Korea, simply because of mountains and beaches. It's also just slightly more warmer in the winter, and slightly more cooler in the Summer. That is also nice. It has easy ferry connections to Japan, which is also nice. I know a lot of Korea expats who visit Busan, and think it's so much better than Seoul. However, few of them have lived in both Busan and Seoul. I lived in both cities, and far prefer Seoul. Actually when I lived in Busan, I remember visiting Seoul a few times, and just felt like the people and mindsets and things to offer just blew me away in Seoul compared to Busan. That being said, I know others who landed in Busan and never had any desire to move to Seoul or anywhere else. In short, it can vary, as many things do, from person to person.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 AM

131 posts, read 9,848 times
You can think of busan as Fukuoka or Nagoya of Japan or Tianjin or Chendu of China.
Busan is not bad, but doesn't get the same amount of attention like Phuket, Pattaya, Cebu, Bali, Danang, Nga Trang, Osaka, Guangzhou or Shenzhen from foreigners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post

Old 07-13-2019, 12:16 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,863,280 times
The original poster is right that this South Korean major city is not in the shadows of Seoul. Occasionally, even nicer. Especially when realizing there isn't really much if any attention given to the usual crowds far away. Even encompassing a beach side Pagoda, and the skyline is quite unique one of a kind. Reminds me of Kaohsiung, Taichung Taiwan, Fukuoka Japan, and Harbin, Wuhan of China. Mysterious treasures that are waiting to get popularity with foreigners if that is not occurring already.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:56 AM

437 posts, read 334,406 times
We just spent a week in Busan South Korea and it is a world class city. It has everything a major city requires and very under the radar. The food is awesome and weather just about perfect for a port city. I would not hesitate to visit again.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 AM

33 posts, read 6,039 times
Kpop exposed alot of people to seoul, beileve or not, throughout the 80s and now.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 62 times
The women are hot in Busan too. While visiting my expat buddy in Seoul I stopped here for some R&R. Very nice.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

17,325 posts, read 19,597,329 times
Never heard of it, but it looks nice.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

2,431 posts, read 1,619,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteel View Post
Kpop exposed alot of people to seoul, beileve or not, throughout the 80s and now.

Pretty sure some of the Kpop singers are from Busan, I can even name several...of course it will be Seoul seeing how it's 9+ million people or more if you include surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia