U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
The beach is decent but nowhere close to that in Florida and Hawaii. Definitely no need to fly 20 hours from west hemiphere to visit.
No I don't expect America will ever be one of the main sources of visitors to the island, mostly Chinese tourists first, then other Asians and Russians, and then possibly Australians and other Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM

2,701 posts, read 4,667,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Don't count on any changes in Chinese visa policy for US citizens. They're just doing to us what we do to them. If we reduce our fees they will reduce theirs. I don't see it happening anytime soon, though.
It's not exactly what we do to them. We charge a fee for a visa no matter where the visitor is from, whereas China only charges the high amount for Americans- any other nationality pays a much, much smaller visa fee.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No I don't expect America will ever be one of the main sources of visitors to the island, mostly Chinese tourists first, then other Asians and Russians, and then possibly Australians and other Europeans.
I also don't think people further south than China would go to Hainan either.

If I were to put on a North American equivalent, people from Florida would never drive up to Myrtle Beach in the Carolinas solely for a beach. But people way up further north who don't want to travel all the way to Florida, might take it.

Hainan strikes me as the same way. Good place for Chinese and Russians who live further north, but wouldn't attract much from anywhere else.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also don't think people further south than China would go to Hainan either.

If I were to put on a North American equivalent, people from Florida would never drive up to Myrtle Beach in the Carolinas solely for a beach. But people way up further north who don't want to travel all the way to Florida, might take it.

Hainan strikes me as the same way. Good place for Chinese and Russians who live further north, but wouldn't attract much from anywhere else.
That's a good point. We have tons of tropical beaches here in Oz, but many flock to Bali or Thailand, so it's not simply the stretch of sand and water but other factors like the culture esp. food, cheapness of everything.etc. I think Hainan might become attractive if the cultural aspect is emphasised, but yeah it just has too much competition in the region.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's a good point. We have tons of tropical beaches here in Oz, but many flock to Bali or Thailand, so it's not simply the stretch of sand and water but other factors like the culture esp. food, cheapness of everything.etc. I think Hainan might become attractive if the cultural aspect is emphasised, but yeah it just has too much competition in the region.

Since China has sooo much money now, they can try making Hainan a super luxury place.
However, they will lose some domestic tourists that way. So there's a decision to make.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Since China has sooo much money now, they can try making Hainan a super luxury place.
However, they will lose some domestic tourists that way. So there's a decision to make.
A place can cater for all budgets. I think Hainan has the opportunity to be something unique, tropical climate/beaches with Chinese culture. Taiwan actually has some nice beaches like Kenting, they should promote that more.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Agree. They have to make it special in some way to attract tourists all over the world. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth traveling that far. Yet, they have to be careful in not losing domestic tourists. This thread might come in handy 5-7 yrs from now.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Agree. They have to make it special in some way to attract tourists all over the world. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth traveling that far. Yet, they have to be careful in not losing domestic tourists. This thread might come in handy 5-7 yrs from now.
I don't think it will. Things don't change that much. I remember hearing the same about Hainan about ten years ago...and it's still just a Chinese/Russian place.

I wouldn't even know how they'd go about changing it in 5-7 years, unless they were to bring in all the cultural things of Thailand, all the international things of a Thailand, and the immense underground seedy scene that draws in foreigners even more. Even with all that, you'd still have to be among a Chinese population that is fairly cut-throat about ripping people off, with none of the smiles of Southeast Asia while they do it.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,002,119 times
Not a chance. SE Asia has a variety of cultures to choose from: Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, etc. Hainan is what it is. It will be a regional getaway, especially for people already in China. A nice enough place, but not a draw in and of itself for people in other parts of the world, unlike SE Asia.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,684 times
I am a overseas born Hainanese. I have gone and done it all free from the world Hainanese Association all paid by the local government. I have done the Sanya Tour from Sea, to Mountain to the made make islands. Done the bird nest hotel from the tree tops of mountains of 5 figures. Done the out door hot spring from the 7 princess Mountain and the whole lot I scout the whole Sanya for the best and done it all. I can assure you it better than Florida, the Carabbian Islands,and the whole lot in North America. Hainan now is over populated by the Rich from up North the Island and invaded by tourist. I am a 100% Hainanese have to run to the Jungle to hide there is no place for us now.

Hainan is like the Switerzland of China with the clouds up in the mountain over looking the sea of the Dragon bay all surrounding with white sand better than most beaches in South East Asia. Take a look for yourself is worth going there and is dirt cheap it has gone internationa.
I a pure Hainanese prefer my backyard in Wen Cheng the beaches, sea, lakes and the rest that is not destroy by the tourist these are the secret beaches keep exclusively for the locals and my family

Marina Burn
(Canada)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or