Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM

216 posts, read 312,467 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

You mention that Chinese people have a reputation for being "worldly, pragmatic and business-like" rather than spiritual, which is sort of true in my experience, at least among the older generation. This is a direct result of the Cultural Revolution in the 70s which severely damaged the traditional values and religious beliefs of an entire generation. In the state-sanctioned informant culture that followed, people learned not to trust their neighbors and replaced the old values with pragmatic materialism and self-preservation. Hence you have the stereotype of mainlanders being more aggressive, hardheaded, pragmatic, and fixated on money and status.

You'll see the contrast if you ever visit Taiwan, which was spared the Cultural Revolution. You can't throw a rock without hitting a traditional temple of some kind, whether you're in the countryside or the capital. The people never had to survive under the pressures experienced by the mainland and are stereotypically more spiritual, soft-spoken and neighborly.

The urban 20-something generation growing up on the mainland right now has not known the hardship experienced by their parents, and values-wise are much more like their Taiwanese peers than the previous mainland generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,881,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
To the OP:

You mention that Chinese people have a reputation for being "worldly, pragmatic and business-like" rather than spiritual, which is sort of true in my experience, at least among the older generation. This is a direct result of the Cultural Revolution in the 70s which severely damaged the traditional values and religious beliefs of an entire generation. In the state-sanctioned informant culture that followed, people learned not to trust their neighbors and replaced the old values with pragmatic materialism and self-preservation. Hence you have the stereotype of mainlanders being more aggressive, hardheaded, pragmatic, and fixated on money and status.

You'll see the contrast if you ever visit Taiwan, which was spared the Cultural Revolution. You can't throw a rock without hitting a traditional temple of some kind, whether you're in the countryside or the capital. The people never had to survive under the pressures experienced by the mainland and are stereotypically more spiritual, soft-spoken and neighborly.

The urban 20-something generation growing up on the mainland right now has not known the hardship experienced by their parents, and values-wise are much more like their Taiwanese peers than the previous mainland generation.
I have visited Taiwan and yes, it is indeed full of temples. I also felt the Taiwanese were a bit friendlier in general. That is true, most young Chinese lived in relatively prosperous times with comparative freedom compared to those who grew up in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 PM

2,358 posts, read 7,067,288 times
In Shenzhen, there are no temples at all and I think people do not have any religion

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,853,506 times
Here is one of them.

Shenzhen: Hongfa Temple

Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,884,971 times
I would overall categorize China as being very spiritual but not religious. Most Chinese people are spiritual and show that in unique and subtle ways. The spiritual energetic ideas of Feng Shui and Yin Yang is originally from China, and there is so many Chinese cultural customs and festivals that have a spiritual theme.

Is the modern economy, the quick economic changes in China, and negative forms of Americanization having any negative influence on China’s spiritual side?

I believe China is continuing the prominent spiritual and cultural side that is authentic and is able to easily maintain that identity in culture and spirituality.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM

102,099 posts, read 107,266,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
But traditionally do you think Chinese culture is less spiritually minded than say, Indian culture? I actually consider the US also very un-spiritual, despite the fact it is more religious than Europe, because even the religious people there seem very worldly and materialistic. It does seem that the Chinese are kind of practical, I mean Confucianism was a fairly practical philosophy, while Buddhism, which originated in India, was more esoteric and abstract and not really as concerned with the here and now.
Well, almost anyplace is less spiritually-minded than India, but to answer the spirit of your question, no. Chinese culture is VERY spiritual, just go to Taiwan to see what Chinese culture was like before religion was purged on the Mainland. You can't judge Chinese culture by what's going on in China, that just doesn't make sense.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,528,734 times
Christianity is growing by leaps and bounds in China. Much of it is underground. But there is also a Christian church sanctioned by the government. So, yes, I would say many in China are spiritual.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,060 times
i am a natural chinese, you are right The Chinese are not a very spiritual people. that is why there are so many problems in china now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia