U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times

Advertisements

I just recently took a trip and visited Qatar, United Arab Emirates, and Oman.

Actually I found them to be very interesting on many levels. Particularly liked Dubai a lot, and Oman to a lesser extent, but equally positive. Qatar lacked the extremes of UAE (more energy, buzz, cosmpolitan) and Oman (more quaint, charming, relaxing, peaceful). I doubt I'd return to Qatar, but I'd readily return to Dubai and Oman again.

As I found them interesting, it's making me think of the very misrepresented Arabic world in a completely different light.

What parts of the Arabic world would you most be interested in visiting and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
No. 1 would have to be Egypt simply for the pyramids, spinx.etc. Other than that i must say it seems a pretty boring, crowded, dirty place (no offense haha).

Saudi Arabia just because of how different it is. I mean the place still has public executions by sword! And women aren't even allowed out on their own or to drive or anything. I think that says enough about the country.

Third would probably be Morocco, seems like an interesting country and more accessible than the others.

Fourth probably either Syria or Jordan for their history.

The UAE would be interesting to check out.

Also wouldn't mind checking out Yemen simply for San'a, which is like a Medieval city out of Arabian nights or something.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM

2,300 posts, read 3,401,084 times
I couldn't say I have a favorite, but I've always wanted to visit Morocco and Egypt.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 AM

34 posts, read 40,808 times
UAE, but I live here. Middle East gets bad rep, similar to that of Eastern Europe, and differences and diversity is astounding.It reminds me of generalizing the USA, when one thinks its all one/same homogenized country, one culture..I had little knowledge of the place before becoming expat here myself.I've been told by older expats, place has changed so much it is unrecognizable, Dubai particularly.

Been to Oman too, lovely country and lovely people.Beautiful beaches and mountains.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 AM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Most likely to visit in my life...

Tier 1:
Egypt
UAE
Qatar

Tier 2:
Lebanon
Tunisia
Morocco

Tier 3:
Oman
Bahrain
Jordan

Tier 4:
Libya
Algeria
Kuwait

Tier 5:
Mauritania
Syria
Iraq

Tier 6:
Saudi Arabia
Yemen
Comoros

Tier 7:
Djibouti
Sudan
Somalia

Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKate View Post
UAE, but I live here. Middle East gets bad rep, similar to that of Eastern Europe, and differences and diversity is astounding.It reminds me of generalizing the USA, when one thinks its all one/same homogenized country, one culture..I had little knowledge of the place before becoming expat here myself.I've been told by older expats, place has changed so much it is unrecognizable, Dubai particularly.

Been to Oman too, lovely country and lovely people.Beautiful beaches and mountains.
I recently visited UAE and loved it. It opened my eyes to the diversity of the Arabic world. I previously thought of of it as one monolithic block.

Now, it's making me much curious about the rest of the Arabic world. I'd love to visit Lebanon.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:59 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,072,412 times
Saudi Arabia

Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 PM

957 posts, read 1,548,806 times
I'd like to visit Dubai & Abu Dhabi (probably just certain nice places within each country)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or