Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather visit most?
Hong Kong 61 53.98%
Singapore 16 14.16%
Seoul 10 8.85%
Tokyo 26 23.01%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:11 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I've been to all four and Tokyo is the only one that I'm interested in revisiting.
didnt you say you only visited SIngapore when you were a child ? I dont think that counts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,833 times
Tokyo > Seoul > Hong Kong > Singapoure

Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,182 times
Tokyo's subway is 24 hours, there are many stations, it is good.

Nightlife in Hong Kong is not good. It is only centered around a few streets and there are no large dancing places. Except Ladies' nights, prices in places frequented by non-Chinese are expensive. There is a sharp cultural divide at nightlife places, there is little interaction between locals and Western born Chinese & foreigners. If you like British style pubs, there are many due to British colonial legacy.

Minor Fighting in Singapore is punish heavily, people are more restrained in conflicts in Singapore and Japan. Japanese easily make apology even if it was not really their faults. Chinese are much less likely and may proceed to violence for some Chinese from specific regions of China. In HK and South Korea, minor conflicts turning into fights are more common, due to cultural differences in handling confrontations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover98 View Post
Nightlife--Hong Kong definitely wins it. No one can argue. There are bright and huge neon signs, clubs, pubs everywhere.
Hong Kong>Tokyo>Seoul>Singapore.

Safety--Singapore wins it. Crime rate of Singapore is one of the lowest in the world.
Singapore>Tokyo>Seoul>Hong Kong

Transportation-Tokyo wins it. Tokyo has very nice bus and subway system. There are a lot of taxis too.
Tokyo>Seoul>Hong Kong>Singapore

Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensingstonpl View Post
Tokyo's subway is 24 hours, there are many stations, it is good.

Nightlife in Hong Kong is not good. It is only centered around a few streets and there are no large dancing places. Except Ladies' nights, prices in places frequented by non-Chinese are expensive. There is a sharp cultural divide at nightlife places, there is little interaction between locals and Western born Chinese & foreigners. If you like British style pubs, there are many due to British colonial legacy.

Minor Fighting in Singapore is punish heavily, people are more restrained in conflicts in Singapore and Japan. Japanese easily make apology even if it was not really their faults. Chinese are much less likely and may proceed to violence for some Chinese from specific regions of China. In HK and South Korea, minor conflicts turning into fights are more common, due to cultural differences in handling confrontations.
Wow! A lot of MISINFORMATION!

Tokyo's trains are NOT 24 hours. They close around midnight, and the taxis are insanely expensive. The streets becomes very empty around 11:30pm even on weekends. If you are out after midnight, be prepared to stay out until the subway starts again at 6am, or plan on an internet cafe to sleep in.

Hong Kong. It's nightlife is all over the place. All kinds of niches and crannies. I find drinking way cheaper in HK than Tokyo. More fun too.

Fighting. People in Asian countries don't generally resort to fighting at all. It's just not part of the culture. A westerner who wants to get drunk and fight, there really isn't any good Asian country for that. I don't see why that's a negative unless someone wants to fight.

Yet more misinformation is that Koreans quickly resort to fighting. Not true. They will be financially responsible for any damage they do to another person in a fight. They very last thing they'll do is hit you.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 AM

9 posts, read 22,840 times
Could have been 24 hours in the past, or just one or 2 metro lines. Had some friends who spent the night sometimes on the Tokyo trains as homeless people.

Nightlife all over Hong Kong? It is not. Mostly Central, Wanchai and Southwestern Kowloon. Little nightlife in most residential parts of Hong Kong. Drinking is more expensive than England and Australia according to English and Australians I met in HK. But usually cheaper drinking in Chinese places in the New Territories of HK.

Some cultures, or regional cultures of a country in Asia do have a violent element in it. I don't want to name those regions here, some women I know complained about the common violent behavior of their fellow men in their hometowns, and prefer not to date or marry men from their hometowns. Some regions are known for bad temper people who easily get mad for the trivial things.

In the cities where I have been, men have been stabbed or beaten for teasing or swearing other people or quarreling with shopkeepers and restaurant staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Wow! A lot of MISINFORMATION!
Tokyo's trains are NOT 24 hours. They close around midnight, and the taxis are insanely expensive. The streets becomes very empty around 11:30pm even on weekends. If you are out after midnight, be prepared to stay out until the subway starts again at 6am, or plan on an internet cafe to sleep in.

Hong Kong. It's nightlife is all over the place. All kinds of niches and crannies. I find drinking way cheaper in HK than Tokyo. More fun too.

Fighting. People in Asian countries don't generally resort to fighting at all. It's just not part of the culture. A westerner who wants to get drunk and fight, there really isn't any good Asian country for that. I don't see why that's a negative unless someone wants to fight.

Yet more misinformation is that Koreans quickly resort to fighting. Not true. They will be financially responsible for any damage they do to another person in a fight. They very last thing they'll do is hit you.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 AM

Yes, Japanese tend to get over things and avoid troubles. They rarely argue with other people or make troubles when they are overseas. Westerners are more troublesome in the eyes of Asian people. I know some China policemen. In poorer parts of China's cities, flightings are pretty common, because people are less educated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensingstonpl View Post
People are more restrained in conflicts in Singapore and Japan. Japanese easily make apology even if it was not really their faults. Chinese are much less likely and may proceed to violence for some Chinese from specific regions of China. In HK and South Korea, minor conflicts turning into fights are more common, due to cultural differences in handling confrontations.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM

I have the perception Japanese are afraid of troubles while Taiwanese, HK, Koreans are not afraid to protest and complain when they are not satisfied or angry. China have had many uprisings in history and the monarchy was overthrown in 1911. The Japanese flag had been burnt many times by angry Chinese and Korean protestors. Singaporean and Japanese are less anti-something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I am surprised for the lack of votes for Tokyo. I assumed Tokyo would have been fighting it out for number one with Hong Kong but instead are a distant second. I think this is because Hong Kong skyline is so famous.

Honestly, I started this thread to see how HK and Tokyo compare to the lesser well known Seoul and Singapore and to see if they were worth a visit. I can't decide if Seoul or Singapore is worth my money.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheklapkoktungchung View Post
Some cultures, or regional cultures of a country in Asia do have a violent element in it. I don't want to name those regions here, some women I know complained about the common violent behavior of their fellow men in their hometowns, and prefer not to date or marry men from their hometowns. Some regions are known for bad temper people who easily get mad for the trivial things.

In the cities where I have been, men have been stabbed or beaten for teasing or swearing other people or quarreling with shopkeepers and restaurant staff.
Well, we were specifically referring to Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Violent behavior is not the norm in any of those societies. You can't just extend the topic to 'Asians' to make a point and refer to 65% of the Planet Earth's population by doing so.

Within our topic, Singapore, HK, Tokyo, and Seoul, it's rare that people stab and beat people over trivial things. The fact you are referring to 'hometowns' seems as if you are already going way off track into small towns of uneducated folk, most likely living in rural parts of Southeast Asia or who knows where.....but wherever it is, it doesn't apply to our topic of these four large metropolitan cosmopolitan giants.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Have you seen people fighting in Hong Kong and Taiwan?
A dozen do occur every hour in every district and most are unreported in newspapers. If reported by Chinese language newspapers, they go with all the details like a drama, sometimes it was a funny story, an adultery affair, a drug addict or alcoholic. Taiwan newspapers learnt the styles of HK's Apple Daily, hence many news articles on violence cases with color cartoon illustrations , timelines and diagrams like a powerpoint presentation.

I have the perception Japanese are afraid of troubles while Taiwanese, HK, Koreans are not afraid to protest and complain when they are not satisfied or angry. China have had many uprisings in history and the monarchy was overthrown in 1911. The Japanese flag had been burnt many times by angry Chinese and Korean protestors. Singaporean and Japanese are less anti-something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I am surprised for the lack of votes for Tokyo. I assumed Tokyo would have been fighting it out for number one with Hong Kong but instead are a distant second. I think this is because Hong Kong skyline is so famous.

Honestly, I started this thread to see how HK and Tokyo compare to the lesser well known Seoul and Singapore and to see if they were worth a visit. I can't decide if Seoul or Singapore is worth my money.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheklapkoktungchung View Post
Have you seen people fighting in Hong Kong and Taiwan?
A dozen do occur every hour in every district and most are unreported in newspapers. If reported by Chinese language newspapers, they go with all the details like a drama, sometimes it was a funny story, an adultery affair, a drug addict or alcoholic. Taiwan newspapers learnt the styles of HK's Apple Daily, hence many news articles on violence cases with color cartoon illustrations , timelines and diagrams like a powerpoint presentation.

I've never seen anyone fighting in HK or Taiwan. Well, that's not true, saw it once among foreigners in HK.

I lived in Korea for 8 years, and only saw it once among Koreans. Saw it a lot more among foreigners living in Korea though.

Never saw it Japan during my 6 years living there.

Not to say it never happens, but in my experience of living in Asia for the last 15 years, there certainly doesn't seem to be any visible 'looking for a fight' element of the places I'm most familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia