Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather visit most?
Hong Kong 61 53.98%
Singapore 16 14.16%
Seoul 10 8.85%
Tokyo 26 23.01%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 AM

9 posts, read 22,793 times

Advertisements

Just now, a Chinese woman is complaining something loudly and very badly as a customer on her phone behind me. I guess the chance of this becoming a fight or the one being complained by the angry Chinese woman being hit will be 75% if the complain is made face to face.

Japanese are more likely to be bullied than yelling loudly at someone. And can control themselves from fighting with someone.

HK and Koreans often make racist comments on other people, in their languages, and not in front foreigners. Foreigners often do not know it. It is socially not acceptable in Singapore and consider rude in Japan.

Last edited by Cheklapkoktungchung; 11-11-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,117,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheklapkoktungchung View Post
Just now, a Chinese woman is complaining something loudly and very badly as a customer on her phone behind me. I guess the chance of this becoming a fight or the one being complained by the angry Chinese woman being hit will be 75% if the complain is made face to face.

Japanese are more likely to be bullied than yelling loudly at someone. And can control themselves from fighting with someone.

HK and Koreans often make racist comments on other people, in their languages, and not in front foreigners. Foreigners often do not know it. It is not socially not acceptable in Singapore and consider rude in Japan.
Mainland Chinese are always yelling. They yell all the time, even when just carrying on a normal conversation about the weather.

Korea. Most foreigners can tell with Koreans are talking about them. I could always tell. It didn't mean it led to a fist fight though or violence. But yeah, Koreans are well-known and many foreigners living in Korea, can understand Korean these days, and it's not unheard of to catch them making some racist remarks in Korean.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 22,793 times
Many koreans actually dislike a bit about americans. Korea has always been a closed world and anti-foreign in history. Without the US, they risk themselves with North Korea. Having no foreign troops in their country is what they like and but they do not have the choice.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:04 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,389,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Mainland Chinese are always yelling. They yell all the time, even when just carrying on a normal conversation about the weather.

Korea. Most foreigners can tell with Koreans are talking about them. I could always tell. It didn't mean it led to a fist fight though or violence. But yeah, Koreans are well-known and many foreigners living in Korea, can understand Korean these days, and it's not unheard of to catch them making some racist remarks in Korean.
This is true, but I also find it strange that westerners in Asia somehow expect modern western social decorum and wider social values to be consistent throughout the world and in-place in Asia. A sociopolitical timeline doesn't exist for the implementation of liberal values in Asia. Remember that it took centuries to implement in the west. Asian societies, by and large, haven't had much inter-racial conflict, other than within their general race, and thus generally don't feel such a moral imperative to eschew tribal exclusion of outsiders (racism). Going to Asia and expecting them not to be racist is a bit silly. When I go, I have the perspective that they are entitled to their social culture, but that I will try to be the best representative of the 'other' as possible. Taking that approach tends to lead to greater acceptance , in my experience, that taking the tact of being socially critical as an extreme minority in homogenous lands. Just as you can often tell when they are being critical, they can also tell that of you. No one's opinion was ever changed through complaints.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:52 PM

769 posts, read 1,011,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tokyo wins in every category except food and maybe shoppping.
I've also been to all 4, and I thought that Tokyo had the best shopping and food, because of the diversity of restuarants and bars (craft brew everywhere), the format in which shopping plazas are set up, prices, and exclusive and or limited edition designer fashions that I cannot find in NYC or Hong Kong.

Singapore was by far the most annoying with all the suit salesman, muzzie food carts and rabid cats and dogs. I actually like New Tapei better than Singapore.

And Seoul, although it has some really nice areas, is still somewhat dirty and unevolved like your typical Chinese city. Was not very impressed with Seoul at all and was expecting a lot more.

1. Tokyo (the closest thing to Utopia)
2. Hong Kong (China's high end immitation of Tokyo)
3. Seoul (S. Korea's desolate but evolving version of Tokyo)
4. Singapore (overpriced and too many agressive muzzies from across the river)

Old 11-17-2014, 12:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,698,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

yeah, the 1.3 billion Chinese are ALWASY yelling, under any circumstances. They even yell when trying to put a baby to sleep.

Having lived in all three countries, I don't see a difference in terms of voice volume in public between the Chinese and the Americans/Canadians. It happened quite a few times a few Canadian passengers (usually young girls) were so loud that I had to move to a different segment of the train.

On the other hand, the Japanese tend to be quiet in public. I took the subway in the morning and was immensely impressed. But that's not to say the Japanese don't make noise. During Some of my afternoon subway trip plenty of Japanese youngsters were talking loudly with each other. I guess the morning commute is quieter because most people are still half asleep, plus commuters don't usually know each other to strike any conversation.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,698,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

1. Tokyo (the closest thing to Utopia)
Not sure about you, but most people's Utopia isn't exactly a massive city with 35 million people (the entire Canada or California, or more than half of UK/France), long commute and constant crowding, plus super high housing price and tiny living space, and a high suicide rate.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheklapkoktungchung View Post
Many koreans actually dislike a bit about americans. Korea has always been a closed world and anti-foreign in history. Without the US, they risk themselves with North Korea. Having no foreign troops in their country is what they like and but they do not have the choice.
Well, without the US and Russia, Korea wouldnt have been divided in to two in the first place
IRONY. By the way, koreans hating american would be coming from the american troops residing in korea and native english teachers.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not sure about you, but most people's Utopia isn't exactly a massive city with 35 million people (the entire Canada or California, or more than half of UK/France), long commute and constant crowding, plus super high housing price and tiny living space, and a high suicide rate.
agree. I you are a loner (, then toyko is a perfect place, maybe utopia for ughhnyc.
My -not -that -close-friend loves few japanese animation, and she does not like hanging with people, loves being alone- so she went to japan as a working holiday progamme few years ago, and she loved it. In japan everything is for 1 person. But for me definiately not a utopia at all. If thats a utopia its cold and sad. Rather Canada would be a peaceful utopia for me (besides security. Japan wins for that )

Old 11-22-2014, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,866 times
[quote=Tiger Beer;37229505]Mainland Chinese are always yelling. They yell all the time, even when just carrying on a normal conversation about the weather.
quote]
Education problems,historical problems,lack of awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia