Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather visit most?
Hong Kong 61 53.98%
Singapore 16 14.16%
Seoul 10 8.85%
Tokyo 26 23.01%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times

Advertisements

I was interested in comparing and contrasting these cities in terms of...

Airport Cleanliness
Architecture
Culture
Food
Neighborhoods
Nightlife
Safety
Transportation
List in order the cities you want to visit most?

Please give some well thought out answers and type at least one sentence per line. There won't be much of a discussion if everyone just list these cities in order for every category without explaining why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I've only been to Hong Kong and Singapore of those two.

Airport Cleanliness - Both are world-class, very clean airports.

Architecture - Both are great for modern architecture/skyscrapers. Singapore wins for colonial architecture, and a diversity of styles.

Culture - Singapore for it's diverse mix.

Food - Singapore, easily, few places touch it.

Neighbourhoods - tie

Nightlife - probably Hong Kong though Singapore isn't too bad

Safety - Both are very safe

Transportation - We're splitting hairs here

Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM

209 posts, read 304,146 times
I was interested in comparing and contrasting these cities in terms of...

Airport Cleanliness
This is the one that I honestly cannot give an answer for. I really have no clue, although I have heard good things about Hong Kong International.

Architecture
Hong Kong. I love the modern skyscrapers. Buildings like Central Plaza are flashy and a step ahead of the other three IMO.

Culture
Hong Kong. The history of the great city has always interested me, as has its non-Chinese minority communities. What are the Thai, Japanese and Korean communities like? What are the Brits that still live there up to? These are some things I would try to explore if I ever got the chance to go to Hong Kong.

Food
Hong Kong, again. I was tempted to go with Singapore here as I've heard their food IS their culture, but out of personal interest Hong Kong is my choice.

Neighborhoods
Tokyo. You'd practically have to live in that city to explore all of its various subdivisions. While that can be said for the others as well, I think Tokyo is the most sprawling as well as the most interesting.

Nightlife
Tokyo. From what I hear the Japanese love to party, and Tokyo might be the best city for it.

Safety
Seoul. All four of these make me feel like I live in Stalingrad in 1942. The Far East is the safest part of the world in most ways. I think of Seoul as being the safest, for whatever reason. I remember reading that women can safely walk alone at all hours of the night.

Transportation
Singapore. I think of congestion as being less of a problem here than the other three, but I could be wrong.

List in order the cities you want to visit most?

1. Hong Kong (has always been near the top of my "dream trips" list)
2. Tokyo
3. Singapore
4. Seoul

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Airport Cleanliness - all 4.
Architecture - I'll say Singapore.
Culture - I'll say Singapore.
Food - I'll say Singapore.
Neighborhoods - I'll say Tokyo.
Nightlife - I'll say Hong Kong & Seoul.
Safety - I'll say all 4.
Transportation - I'll say all 4.
List in order the cities you want to visit most? - I like all of them equally, and been to all of them many times.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I have been to all 4.

I like Tokyo and HK the best, followed by Singapore, then Seoul. I am a native English speaker and have found Seoul the hardest to navigate and communicate in. Hong kong and Singapore are the easiest to navigate and communicate (both local populations are relatively fluent in English).

Tokyo and HK feel the most cosmopolitan, then Seoul. Singapore feels like an island paradise with it's tropical weather.

Food, I would say Hong Kong or Tokyo with it's diverse mixes.

Culture, I would say Tokyo.

Shopping, would say HK.

Safety, all are very safe, except some bad parts of HK.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have been to all 4.

I like Tokyo and HK the best, followed by Singapore, then Seoul. I am a native English speaker and have found Seoul the hardest to navigate and communicate in. Hong kong and Singapore are the easiest to navigate and communicate (both local populations are relatively fluent in English).

Tokyo and HK feel the most cosmopolitan, then Seoul. Singapore feels like an island paradise with it's tropical weather.

Food, I would say Hong Kong or Tokyo with it's diverse mixes.

Culture, I would say Tokyo.

Shopping, would say HK.

Safety, all are very safe, except some bad parts of HK.
Seriously, Singapore no. 4 in that category?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:27 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Tokyo wins in every category except food and maybe shoppping.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
In my observations, yes. Singapore feels less cosmopolitan (more relaxed and casual) than the others. Singapore feels like a resort island (I suppose that it is) rather than a big "hustling/bustling" city in Asia. It is less crowded than the others also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Seriously, Singapore no. 4 in that category?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In my observations, yes. Singapore feels less cosmopolitan (more relaxed and casual) than the others. Singapore feels like a resort island (I suppose that it is) rather than a big "hustling/bustling" city in Asia. It is less crowded than the others also.
You must've been to a different Singapore. Hustling and bustling and cosmopolitan/diverse are adjectives that fit Singapore very well. Aside from the three main cultures which are all prominent, there are more ex-pats per capita than Tokyo and Seoul, and probably as many if not more than Hong Kong. You can find almost any kind of food, hear many languages spoken.etc in Singapore. It's very dense, crowded and bustling, maybe not to the level of Tokyo, but it's certainly far more cosmopolitan than Tokyo and especially Seoul.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times
I have been to Tokyo and Hong Kong. I can't speak for Seoul or Singapore but from what I have heard is that for size/feel of largest to smallest.

Tokyo
Seoul/Hong Kong
Singapore

My friend who has been to all 4 stated Tokyo feels larger than New York, Seoul and Honk Kong feel about the same as New York. Singapore for an American city feels smaller than New York and more along the lines of Chicago.

If someone feels my theory is wrong please speak up.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 03-23-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia