U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How bi lingual is tel aviv and Israel as a whole? I think Israelites are great people so I would love to communicate and be friend them! So do I need to learn Hebrew or do they know English? What is the general view in Israel about Christians?

Most Israelis know English & there are quite a lot of American ex-pats as well who move there to make 'Aliyah.'

Everything in Israel is in 3 languages. You will see highway exits for example in English, Hebrew & Arabic
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,451,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
One thing Tel Aviv has above all other places in Israel, though, is babes. Absolutely world class in that regard.

Oh lord yes. It's one of the reasons why I want to go to Tel Aviv honestly. Every Israeli women I have come in contact with have been absolutely off the records with their looks. What I also love is how some of them look either White, Latina, Middle Eastern or a mix between the 3.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always thought of it as the "Manhattan on the Ocean".

When I look at google maps, it doesn't look like Manhattan much, but with the 24-hour culture, and the bars/clubs/restaurants, that it supposedly has, and I do believe it does, than it certainly sounds quite interesting.

But, for some reason, I've always wondered if a non-Hebrew speaking person in Tel Aviv in the bars and clubs, would really be of any interest to anyone. Having met tons of traveling Israelis, they often have deep connections with each other, all kinds of family and friend and military connections. I'd think that everytime they went out, they must be connecting with new people, and talking about their connections.

Some random visitor without Hebrew, and no connections; I can't see why they'd be that interested to get to know. Maybe I'm wrong though?
Israelis are very friendly and if you can speak English, then they will make an effort to get to know you.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Tel-Aviv is one of my favorite cities in the world
Explain. Would be a great contribution to the thread, to hear some of the things that make it as one of your most favorite cities.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 AM

637 posts, read 644,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Explain. Would be a great contribution to the thread, to hear some of the things that make it as one of your most favorite cities.
I will answer on the poster's behalf.

-On the beach
-Amazing food
-Vibrant nightlife
-Friendly people
-Very different from USA

Old 07-01-2016, 09:58 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,694,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How bi lingual is tel aviv and Israel as a whole? I think Israelites are great people so I would love to communicate and be friend them! So do I need to learn Hebrew or do they know English? What is the general view in Israel about Christians?
Israelis are very friendly to foreigners, and seem to have a thing for the English speaking countries (very pro-American, and Canada / Australia / NZ seem to be very popular as well).

English is taught in schools, and you can't really go to college without speaking English since a lot of specialized literature is in English. In my experience, the young people almost universally speak English, the older generation - well that depends on their background. Sabras (born Israelis) often do, but there's a lot of older immigrants from the former USSR or Romania or Ethiopia who don't have any English skills. Generally though you can get around just fine. I went there twice, 7 years apart, for over two weeks both times, and had no problems at all.

The country is full of Christians, both the tourists and permanent residents - practically every Christian denomination has some presence there, especially in or near Jerusalem. It also has the largest, most beautiful Ba'hai temple compound I've ever seen, in Haifa. There's really no issues with being a Christian, or any other religion. I am half Jewish with other side Catholic, non-denominational, and never met anyone over there for whom this would be a problem.

It was my impression that there's four main languages in Israel - Hebrew, Arabic, English and Russian (which can be heard / seen everywhere, although it's possible some of what I thought was Russian was really Polish).

The girls are extremely hot, and very friendly (don't mean it in a kinky sort of way) but both times I visited the country I was with my significant other . I got an impession that feminism is very strong among secular Israelis, the women seemed very independent and confident. Perhaps has something to do with being in the Army ?

I did not really like Tel Aviv, but if you're into clubs and dating, this is probably the city for you. The night life is supposed to be very vibrant. Otherwise, it could just as well have been any modern European or American city. With most of the rest of the country being choke full of history, Tel Aviv just looked too modern, too cosmopolitan, and honestly too bland.

Now, what I did not like or just had to take time to adapt to:

- traffic is atrocious. I could get OK between the cities, but driving in the large cities was a horrible experience.

- Israelis are very friendly, but also very blunt. They may sometimes appear rude because they are often vey direct and assertive. But not aggressive. It does take some getting used to. But it is more than offset by friendliness to complete strangers. I read somewhere that it's a tough country for people on the international business assignments because in the Israeli culture, there's near complete lack of any reverence to managers or even executives - you have to earn respect from your subordinates, and questioning the higher-ups is almost like a national sport.

- prices were rather high

- tons of openly armed people, not just the soldiers but also civilians. Was unnerving at first, then I got used to it. Violent crime outside of Palestinian Territories is actually very rare, so somehow they manage not to use all these guns on each other when they get pissed off.

- When I was there in April, I had the worst allergy of my life. Something was blooming and it was killing me. Couldn't smell, taste, and could barely hear. And I am not even that sensitive to pollen.

Any way, it's a unique country with amazing history and fantastic people. One of the most interesting places I've ever been to, and I traveled a lot.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM

1,676 posts, read 742,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Israel isn't more liberal than the GOP.

Ever heard of the Trump wall? Trump probably borrowed the idea from Israel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly conservative.
Yes, it is. People are very live-and-let-live in Israel, in regards to LGBT and other races/religions. This is why Israel doesn't ban the burkini, even though France and other Europeans try to. Not saying there aren't some bigots, because there are everywhere. But most Israelis are secular people. The separation barrier in Judea & Samaria (West Bank) was only built because during the Second Intifada, suicide bombers kept coming over and murdering people. Sure enough, the wall stopped most of the violence

As far as Israelis knowing English and being curious about foreigners, when I was there over the summer they were very curious and a lot were eager to visit America (if they had already been, they wanted to go back for another trip, or even move there!). Most everyone there knows English---it was a British colony and has close ties to the USA and other Western countries.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:32 AM

570 posts, read 559,496 times
I was in tel aviv back in June, beautiful place to lay by the beach all day, sunset was one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen in my life.

Night life was good, we went to some big out door club, was hard to get in, but my friend managed to pull strings on her birthday. Price's is what you would expect out of "city" type of vibe.

Food was alright, if you go to the bus station, it costed us about 25 sheks per person to get back to jerusalem.

Israel is not as religious as one might think...

Old 09-25-2016, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 13,154 times
Tel Aviv is wonderful. Imagine a European version of NYC, in the Middle East. That's what it's like. You can find people and food from all over the world.

You should hang out in Dizengoff square and Dizengoff center as well as near the beach for socializing and relaxing. If you walk straight south from the beach you'll end up in Yafo/Jaffa which is a fun place to explore and shop in for a few hours. In the north of the city, there is the port which is a touristy place to hang out and shop. Not really my thing, but it's worth visiting if you're there.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:20 PM

20 posts, read 13,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Most Israelis know English & there are quite a lot of American ex-pats as well who move there to make 'Aliyah.'

Everything in Israel is in 3 languages. You will see highway exits for example in English, Hebrew & Arabic
Lots of Russian too, in certain communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia