Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 04:10 PM

155 posts, read 165,010 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to study some month in universities in Incheon, Seoul or Suwon, the university told me that the dormitory cost would be around 218 dollars per month, with that being said I would like to know how much is usually spent (average estimative) by a a single person living alone with food and going out?

In other words how much would be a good amount to have per month to spend with food and going out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
I have the opportunity to study some month in universities in Incheon, Seoul or Suwon, the university told me that the dormitory cost would be around 218 dollars per month, with that being said I would like to know how much is usually spent (average estimative) by a a single person living alone with food and going out?

In other words how much would be a good amount to have per month to spend with food and going out?
Depends what you do when you go out. In general, 'going out' is costly wherever you are in the world. I mean, if you are going to 'go all out' when you 'go out'. A beer is around US$3-7 depending on what kind of establishment you go to. Do you drink 2-3 or 8-9 when you go out? Does going out imply once a week or 4 times a week? Just do the math and decide if you prefer dive cheap places, or nice fancy places for which end of the US$3-7 a beer.

Regarding cities:

SEOUL SEOUL SEOUL SEOUL. #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 .

Incheon is 90+ plus by train from Seoul, and you'll probably enjoy Korea best if you are in Seoul. Incheon is a bit industrial with a polluted beach that isn't a beach destination. You'll quickly feel isolated. That being said, if you got stuck there, you'd find some expat bars and such to drink beer in, like anywhere else.

Suwon is a smaller city. You'll also have expats there as well. But, basically everyone will want to get up to Seoul whenever they get a chance. If you are living in Seoul, it's very doubtful you'd ever have a desire to visit Incheon or Suwon, and once you do, it'll probably be a one-time event, and you'll be looking forward to getting back into Seoul again.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 6,515 times
I had the opportunity to live in Seoul for 2 months, but I still do not know Korea very much. Aren't very expensive compared with other cities in Asia, similar prices with Shanghai's.

Met some western people working in Korea while there and they mostly say most South Koreans aren't very welcoming of foreigners, exotic factor have died out and most Koreans are not interested in foreigners these days. Only those more westernised Koreans like to make friends with foreigners. Yeah, there are many Korea fans around the world with the Korean Wave going on, but definitely not the other way round, I mean most Koreans are not so interested in a foreigner. Once you go there, it is like the locals do not want anything to do with you. That's the experiences of many westerners I met while in Korea.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,670,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodthbskiss View Post
I had the opportunity to live in Seoul for 2 months, but I still do not know Korea very much. Aren't very expensive compared with other cities in Asia, similar prices with Shanghai's.

Met some western people working in Korea while there and they mostly say most South Koreans aren't very welcoming of foreigners, exotic factor have died out and most Koreans are not interested in foreigners these days. Only those more westernised Koreans like to make friends with foreigners. Yeah, there are many Korea fans around the world with the Korean Wave going on, but definitely not the other way round, I mean most Koreans are not so interested in a foreigner. Once you go there, it is like the locals do not want anything to do with you. That's the experiences of many westerners I met while in Korea.
^This has nothing to do with what the original post was asking about. Your 2 cents are unwarranted.

I would say stick to Seoul and travel to the other areas i.e. Jeju, Busan, Incheon, the mountains, etc.

It's like any other country. In the USA one could say to stay in NYC and travel to Philly, DC, Boston...

I found that the cost for most things are pretty similar to the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia