U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2013, 02:54 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Strange Philippines is so Catholic yet there are so many gays and they are really so vulgar especially on tv. I don't have problems with people who are gay but it would be good to have a law againts homosexuals being so vulgar and would be a little discreet.
How are they being vulgar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 AM
 
Location: Waipahu
58 posts, read 111,498 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think a bit of de-population would be a good thing for a S'pore. The government is also too liberal letting foreigners in, it's over 40% foreigners now.
What you think is not what the government of Singapore thinks. Aging population is a big problem. Who's gonna work for those retiree pension if the next generation is getting smaller and smaller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post
What you think is not what the government of Singapore thinks. Aging population is a big problem. Who's gonna work for those retiree pension if the next generation is getting smaller and smaller?
I'm not saying no immigration, it's just it's gone a bit too far. The government has gone too much in that direction and Singapore is sort of losing it's identity a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 AM
 
Location: Waipahu
58 posts, read 111,498 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not saying no immigration, it's just it's gone a bit too far. The government has gone too much in that direction and Singapore is sort of losing it's identity a bit.
You have to study more about southern Chinese mindset. If they really care about identity, they're not gonna keep emigrating out of China for many centuries since C.12-13. I can tell you briefly that southern Chinese are a very practical people. They do things that can make well-beings and prosperity. They can sacrifice homeland for wealth. Identity is what in the Westerners' mind, not southern Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post
You have to study more about southern Chinese mindset. If they really care about identity, they're not gonna keep emigrating out of China for many centuries since C.12-13. I can tell you briefly that southern Chinese are a very practical people. They do things that can make well-beings and prosperity. They can sacrifice homeland for wealth. Identity is what in the Westerners' mind, not southern Chinese.
They emigrated due to the extreme poverty at the time. So you're saying Americans don't care about identity because they mostly came from somewhere else? Practical doesn't mean they don't care about their roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 AM
 
16,437 posts, read 19,147,848 times
Reputation: 9518
Lee Kwan Yu set out to clean all the notorious immorality from Singapore that it had been infamous for for years. He succeeded and Singapore is a pretty much a model society today, with low crime, little corruption and clean streets. People even stand patiently in lines, which is nothing short of miraculous in most of Asia. Bugis Street (Boogie Street) is no more and they don't want a return to the immoral times of before.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-01-2013 at 04:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How are they being vulgar?
Gays really try to look like women ( paint their faces, put some lumps on their chest to make them look like boobs, wear women's clothing , wear heels and walk and move like an exaggerated woman.. There are gays in China working in Saloons but they do not look and move like gays in the Philippines. They look more discreet., you just think they are gays because they work in Saloons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 AM
 
16,437 posts, read 19,147,848 times
Reputation: 9518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How are they being vulgar?
By acting homosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Lee Kwan Yu set out to clean all the notorious immorality from Singapore that it had been infamous for for years. He succeeded and Singapore is a pretty much a model society today, with low crime, little corruption and clean streets. People even stand patiently in lines, which is nothing short of miraculous in most of Asia. Bugis Street (Boogie Street) is no more and they don't want a return to the immoral times of before.
Prostitution is still rife in S'pore today...in fact the irony is that prostitution is legal in Singapore but not Thailand. You just gotta know where to look. Even Orchard Road has it's Orchard Towers, 'four floors of whores'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Gays really try to look like women ( paint their faces, put some lumps on their chest to make them look like boobs, wear women's clothing , wear heels and walk and move like an exaggerated woman.. There are gays in China working in Saloons but they do not look and move like gays in the Philippines. They look more discreet., you just think they are gays because they work in Saloons.
I'm sure you know the difference between drag queens/transvestites and gay men. Yes there is overlap but most gay men do not dress like women, and many cross-dressers are actually straight.

A lot of gay men just go about their lives like everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top