U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Lord Maculay was exaggerating India's wealth and Indian society to drive home his point. It's what unscrupulous fellows do, exaggerate and distort.

Without a doubt, many British folk had racist and chauvinistic attitudes towards India, Indians, and Indian culture, had an extremely conflated sense of the superiority of their own society and moral virtue, and the fact that many of their "intellectuals" did attempt to bastardize India.

However, I don't ascribe to the hyper-nationalistic view that India was all peaches and cream( or perhaps mangoes and shreekant ) before British domination and didn't benefit at all from ideas from the West.
Yes, it was a bit of both. Obviously, Britain was looking out for itself first and exploited India, but I'm sure some among the Empire's subjects in India did care somewhat for the welfare of the Indian nation and people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, it was a bit of both. Obviously, Britain was looking out for itself first and exploited India, but I'm sure some among the Empire's subjects in India did care somewhat for the welfare of the Indian nation and people.

Even if well-intentioned, I could care less for receiving charity or being on the receiving end of paternalistic attitudes.

Also, Indians were the Empire's subjects, but were relegated to 2nd class status. This fact was part of one of the arguments for independence.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Even if well-intentioned, I could care less for receiving charity or being on the receiving end of paternalistic attitudes.

Also, Indians were the Empire's subjects, but were relegated to 2nd class status. This fact was part of one of the arguments for independence.
Of course independence was still a good thing, and none too soon either.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,813,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
This does refute the myth of the British "civilizing" India, as India was a relatively well-developed economic, cultural and social power in the early 19th century. In fact, British mercantiallist colonial policies did a lot to destroy the Indian manufacturing sector and do away with self-sufficiency in food.
Just looking at the per capita GDP of the entire subcontinent should show you that Britain never had any interest in "civilizing" that area. Even former Japanese colonies are far more economically successful than the overwhelmingly majority of non White Settler British colonies.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM

20 posts, read 33,483 times
They got nothing to be grateful about.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 AM

7 posts, read 10,625 times
The Queen of Britain still rules India indirectly through Commonwealth scam. India became "Republic of India" WITHIN Commonwealth in 1950. It's an Oxymoron : India became Republic within Queen's Rule .

Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,116,657 times
Quote:
Lord Maculay was exaggerating India's wealth and Indian society to drive home his point. It's what unscrupulous fellows do, exaggerate and distort.

Without a doubt, many British folk had racist and chauvinistic attitudes towards India, Indians, and Indian culture, had an extremely conflated sense of the superiority of their own society and moral virtue, and the fact that many of their "intellectuals" did attempt to bastardize India.

However, I don't ascribe to the hyper-nationalistic view that India was all peaches and cream( or perhaps mangoes and shreekant ) before British domination and didn't benefit at all from ideas from the West.

Maculay told it how it was. He was advising the British the best and effective way to conquer India would be to engage in a comprehensive plan. No doubt India had its own issues just like any other society. India always benefited from the British colonialization, just not as much as Brits love to spin it.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,319 times
Do any of you know of academic studies or polls addressing this question? Not just whether Indians like or dislike Britain (you can see that in the BBC Globescan polls), but their opinions on pop culture, emigration to the UK, the education system, etc. etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,279 times
i am indian and let me tell you, being indian is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any race. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, indian parents are one of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 AM

4,513 posts, read 3,095,891 times
The British were good for one thing and that's the english language. They came at the perfect time right when the Hindus and Sikhs were starting reconquesta against islamic persian imperialism. They were probably better rulers compared to the islamic invaders. They were really in it for the money. Islamic invaders were not only in it for the money, but they raped, looted, pillaged, almost erased the native culture, and replaced it with a Bedouin's. the British were probably better than the french, spanish, or the Portuguese. Look how french indochina and the phillipines turned out. thanks the gods for liberal protestants and king henry VIII and adam smith. Now give me all your money and gold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or