U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM

4,520 posts, read 3,104,293 times

Advertisements

Forgot to add that one thing that sucks about the british other than their food and bad teeth is that they drive on the wrong side of the wrong and that transferred to India. It makes driving there that much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,275,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipfield View Post
Do any of you know of academic studies or polls addressing this question? Not just whether Indians like or dislike Britain (you can see that in the BBC Globescan polls), but their opinions on pop culture, emigration to the UK, the education system, etc. etc.
I grew up in India in the '60s and '70s and from my observation (I am white) most people didn't seem to have strong feelings toward the British one way or another. They respected the UK some, not a lot, and were also very happy to have the English gone--who wants to be colonialized, anyway? A very few people had stronger feelings than that, but most didn't seem to care much about the UK one way or the other.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,275,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
The British were good for one thing and that's the english language.
The English language didn't have a whole lot of presence until a couple decades ago. When I was growing up there, my parents sent me a thousand miles away so that I could go to an English medium school (Woodstock School). Now it's the standard. Just saying that India moved itself towards the English language, long after independence, more than the British did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or