Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

I think South Korea is one. It's on the books, but there's been a moratorium since the last execution in 1998. There've been lots of appeals to abolish it but the last one has been struck down. Their crime rate is low. I think they'll abolish it in the next 10-15 years.

One would think Japan, but I don't think that's gonna happen. the Japanese have an 'eye for an eye' mentality and the vast majority support it. They execute few people, but people still think it deters crime.

I can't really see any other Asian nation abolishing it soon...actually maybe India would be next. I don't think they execute that many, and they don't seem as pro-DP as the Middle East. Nepal has already abolished it. Sri Lanka could follow.

Singapore is famous for it's readiness to execute criminals. Same with Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China. I wonder if Laos will follow Cambodia. The Philippines probably followed the lead of Latin America due to the Catholic churches position against it.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Philippines abolished it as a present for the King of Spain

Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Philippines abolished it as a present for the King of Spain
Interesting reason to abolish it. Was it used much prior to that?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting reason to abolish it. Was it used much prior to that?

I think only 7 times since it was reinstated, before it was abolished again in 2006

Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think only 7 times since it was reinstated, before it was abolished again in 2006
What about prior to that?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Singapore is famous for it's readiness to execute criminals. Same with Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China.
Where are you getting your information? Your wording seems a little slanted. While the death penalty is on the books in Thailand, as far as I know its rarely been used. According to stats, between 2007 to 2011 a total of 2 people were executed by the country.

In 2012, a Royal pardon was announced for all prisoners sentenced to death to life imprisonment. Further, there has been a growing movement in the country to completely abolish capital punishment laws. Evidently there have been no executions in Thailand since 2009. According to one report, there had been no executions in Thailand for 6 years from 2003, but did execute 2 drug offenders by lethal injection in 2009 though. The Thai government has also announced plans to abolish the death penalty.

Death penalty statistics, country by country | visualisation and data | World news | theguardian.com

Capital punishment in Thailand | Thai Prison Life –

Use of capital punishment by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thailand : Joint Open Letter to Prime Minister of Thailand (...) - FIDH

Growing movement to abolish death penalty worldwide: Interview with Raphaël Chenuil-Hazan | Prachatai English

Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Oh that's interesting...I suppose I'm thinking more in the 90s etc...there was a famous teleseries called the 'Bangkok Hilton' here with Nicole Kidman that coloured people's views about how strict the Thais were. I don't hear anything about how Thailand is heading that way.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
The countries that keep death penalty are also the ones that are relatively belligerent/tough.

In a society, we need both "gentle" guys AND "tough" guys because they tend to have different talents. Maybe the world needs both types of nations too.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The countries that keep death penalty are also the ones that are relatively belligerent/tough.

In a society, we need both "gentle" guys AND "tough" guys because they tend to have different talents. Maybe the world needs both types of nations too.
I think you can throw the 'deterrent' argument out of the water though, it seems more a punitive measure. Hong Kong doesn't have capital punishment yet it's murder/crime rate is even LOWER than Singapore or Japan. If Singapore got rid of the DP I doubt things would change much.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Oh that's interesting...I suppose I'm thinking more in the 90s etc...there was a famous teleseries called the 'Bangkok Hilton' here with Nicole Kidman that coloured people's views about how strict the Thais were. I don't hear anything about how Thailand is heading that way.
I haven't seen the teleseries. Nevertheless, the 'BKK Hilton' is definitely not a comfy place to spend any time at, but then neither is any other jail or prison in the country. In the 90s there was a rise in the number of executions. If you notice in the links, the numbers of executions are pretty small. I have no idea to even guess if or when capital punishment will be abolished, but it is something that's being seriously considered.

I remember seeing presentations by Nightline, or something like that (I think in the late-80s or early-90s), that focused on subjects like prostitution and AIDS in Thailand. Because the presentations were so completely focused on those subject and just left it like that for the viewers, they gave the horrifying impression that all or most women in Thailand were hookers and everyone in the nation has AIDS. I think 60 Minutes also did a presentation on child prostitution, that made people think every child in the country was being swept away into a life of abuses. It was clearly a slanted view. There's no question that they are serious subjects, but it clearly doesn't represent the majority of the people there. Most of the TV viewers have never been to the country, so they have no way of knowing what its like there, except for the impressions the media left them with. Anyway, I learned a long time ago that you can't always take what the media presents as gospel truth. They're out for ratings, and sensational topics often attract viewers that help boost those ratings. Maybe a good story would be how the media prostitutes tv networks giving the impression of being a news broadcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia