U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Reputation: 966

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I agree with you ... They just really see themselves and they ignore other people.. It is very true !!!

Yes, the drivers are terrible too.. They are so wreckless and very rude. They always want to rush and they always get pissed with us because we take awhile to get out of the cab because we still have to remove our buggy and need to carry our toddler.. They keep saying many things in Chinese., we may not understand but of course we know they are saying awful words already.
The next time I go to China, am going to pretend I don't understand Chinese. Been there many times and didn't realize how bad the situation was until I brought my toddler and a stroller with me. OMG... there was a guy who shouted at me and asked that I put the stroller at the back of the subway. I obliged even with great difficulty, until I realized I wasn't really blocking anyone and he himself got off at the same station as we did! In another subway ride, we have to take our toddler out of the seat and carry him to prevent him from being squeezed from these passengers pushing others out of the seat because they wanted their bags on the seat!

Then when we were shopping, I parked my stroller OUTSIDE of a store while the others were shopping. I made sure I wasn't blocking anyone, and would gladly move a bit if anyone is looking at the merchandise near where I was standing. The store owner then asked me if I wanted to buy something from his store. I said I am just waiting for others in our group there as am not really into shopping. He told me to get out of his storefront and move my stroller, even if we were obviously on the sidewalk and if anything, it's his merchandise that spilled onto the public space! The next time I speak to strangers in China, I will just speak English to them or pretend I don't understand what they said.

 
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The next time I go to China, am going to pretend I don't understand Chinese. Been there many times and didn't realize how bad the situation was until I brought my toddler and a stroller with me. OMG... there was a guy who shouted at me and asked that I put the stroller at the back of the subway. I obliged even with great difficulty, until I realized I wasn't really blocking anyone and he himself got off at the same station as we did! In another subway ride, we have to take our toddler out of the seat and carry him to prevent him from being squeezed from these passengers pushing others out of the seat because they wanted their bags on the seat!

Then when we were shopping, I parked my stroller OUTSIDE of a store while the others were shopping. I made sure I wasn't blocking anyone, and would gladly move a bit if anyone is looking at the merchandise near where I was standing. The store owner then asked me if I wanted to buy something from his store. I said I am just waiting for others in our group there as am not really into shopping. He told me to get out of his storefront and move my stroller, even if we were obviously on the sidewalk and if anything, it's his merchandise that spilled onto the public space! The next time I speak to strangers in China, I will just speak English to them or pretend I don't understand what they said.
It is really hard when you are in public places in China and carrying a baby/toddler because they simply do not care at all. They will push you and your child just to get ahead. I always yell at them for them to realize that what they are doing is really bad. They really need to be educated.
 
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
older generation Koreans are exactly the same way. I can't recall seeing it anywhere else in East Asia. You'd get it again out in Nepal/India.

But Pacific Asia, it's essentially China and South Korea that is like that.

Korea was horrible with that back when I first arrivd in 1996. Over the last 17 years, there has been a massive education program, and it has had a very positive effect. You seldom see the pushing and cutting in line to the same degree as before. It definitely still happens a lot in Korea, but usually the dying older generation.
Yes it seems to occur in China and Vietnam. Korea is a bit more surprising since I expect it to be more 'civilised' but on the other hand it remained fairly undeveloped until recently.
 
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Reputation: 12118
Neither do the Japanese, who are well mannered.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Filipinos don't do that even the poor ones, they don't push you just to get ahead.., they don't grab the cab when it's already yours., but the Chinese are terrible.. Even if you got the cab first, they will still go there and grab the door.,Filipinos ( even the poor ones ) don't push people on the lift especially if there is a baby in there. it's just awful and I don't know when will they start to realize that what they are doing is totally rude
 
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Reputation: 12118
The Mainland Chinese drivers here in the US pretty much only "see" themselves as being on the road! They are reckless, careless and selfish drivers. They stop in the middle of the road, to let off passengers and block the traffic for other drivers! Very inconsiderate and rude. They park their cars for a few minutes (blocking someone's driveway) to go inside of a business to get something, while the driveway is blocked so that other cars cannot get in and out! Totally clueless, selfish driving habits!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I agree with you ... They just really see themselves and they ignore other people.. It is very true !!!

Yes, the drivers are terrible too.. They are so wreckless and very rude. They always want to rush and they always get pissed with us because we take awhile to get out of the cab because we still have to remove our buggy and need to carry our toddler.. They keep saying many things in Chinese., we may not understand but of course we know they are saying awful words already.
 
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Reputation: 12118
Thanks for your perspective.

What I meant about Mainland Chinese people not seeing the "big picture" of any situation, is that when they are in a situation which requires civility dealing with another person (a stranger, usually), they only usually show regard for themselves and never the other party. Courtesy is usually not shown, but the prevalent "pushing and shoving" to get ahead of the other party is usually the attitude and behavior. I see this behavior here in the US and other countries (UK, France, Japan) where I have encountered Mainland Chinese. I do not see this with Hong Kong Chinese (except in Hong Kong Subways/MTR's), Singaporeans, Thais,
or Taiwanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I agree many Chinese seem to be very impatient and rude, especially those with lower level of education.

One thing is that China has never been a fair society. If one always follows the rules, he can never be successful. It is changing now but the influence is still there.

Another thing is, Chinese society is based on connections, or guanxi. If you are not a part of their connection, you have nothing to do with them and they often ignore you.
 
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,667,977 times
Reputation: 3671
I wondered the same thing during a recent visit to China! My wife (who is mainland Chinese, though now living here in the US) and I went back to China in December 2011 to visit her family. We had a layover in Beijing for a couple hours waiting for our flight to Guangzhou. Anyway fog and smog had set in heavily causing our flight as well as many others to be cancelled. We had to go get in line at the check in counter to rebook on a flight the next day, and what a zoo that was! I had never seen anything like it in my life, even in the most angry crowds here in the US. People were yelling, shoving, pushing, cutting in line- my wife and I were 2nd from the front of the line and it took over an hour to get to the front, because people kept cutting in front of us without even looking at us or apologizing. I'd try to get out in front of that person letting them know I was ahead (I don't speak Chinese so couldn't say much) and it did not matter- I'd walk up to the counter when it was my turn only to have two other people cut in front and start talking to the counter agent as I was already speaking! And what did the counter agent do? Immediately paid attention to them! Talk about feeding into the bad behavior!
Anyway it got worse and worse, the people in the crowd were all yelling, an agent would be helping one person and another would be yelling at him to get his attention, even reaching out and lightly slapping him on the head to get his attention- as if their issue is SO much more important than that of the person already being helped! And some people even climbed over the counter and were yelling at the guy from behind him, and at one point it looked like the agent was in the middle of a huddle because so many people had climbed over and surrounded him, all sticking their itineraries in his face, oblivious to the fact that he can only help one person at a time. And again the crazy thing was that the ticket agents seemed to just go with it, instead of whipping people into shape by demanding they get back on the other side of the counter, get back in line, and wait their turn!
Even my wife was disgusted, she knows it's that way in China, it's the norm but having lived here in the States for a few years by then she had forgotten just how bad it is.
 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Niagara Region
1,321 posts, read 1,553,310 times
Reputation: 4504
LOL, my family has chuckled about this phenomenen for years. In 1968, when I was a child, we moved to Hong Kong for a 3 year armed services posting. About the second week we were there, we decided to take public transport into town and we were the first to arrive at the bus stop. Eventually more people arrived, and by the time the bus pulled up, there were probably a good 10 people gathered waiting to get on the bus.

The bus stopped right where we were standing. The doors opened my dad, at the front, was no more than 2 feet away.... and WOW!!! The four of us, me, mum, dad and little sister, were actually the LAST people to get on the bus! It was something that astounded us and we talked about it for many years.

Fast forward to Toronto, 20 years later: a Chinese mall in the suburbs we loved strolling through and being reminded of our wonderful days in Hong Kong.. even the pushing and shoving! I remember standing in a bakery waiting patiently to be served. Every Chinese person who came in, got served ahead of me. I thought it was prejudice but then remembered the bus incident. I just wasn't pushy enough and no-one understood my pathetic English pleadings of "Excuse me, can I.. " interrupted by loud aggressive Cantonese ladies in fur coats. LOL.

I still love Hong Kong with all my heart. (And those amazing custard tarts that took 45 minutes to buy)

Last edited by Vectoris; 04-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: cluttered
 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I wondered the same thing during a recent visit to China! My wife (who is mainland Chinese, though now living here in the US) and I went back to China in December 2011 to visit her family. We had a layover in Beijing for a couple hours waiting for our flight to Guangzhou. Anyway fog and smog had set in heavily causing our flight as well as many others to be cancelled. We had to go get in line at the check in counter to rebook on a flight the next day, and what a zoo that was! I had never seen anything like it in my life, even in the most angry crowds here in the US. People were yelling, shoving, pushing, cutting in line- my wife and I were 2nd from the front of the line and it took over an hour to get to the front, because people kept cutting in front of us without even looking at us or apologizing. I'd try to get out in front of that person letting them know I was ahead (I don't speak Chinese so couldn't say much) and it did not matter- I'd walk up to the counter when it was my turn only to have two other people cut in front and start talking to the counter agent as I was already speaking! And what did the counter agent do? Immediately paid attention to them! Talk about feeding into the bad behavior!
Anyway it got worse and worse, the people in the crowd were all yelling, an agent would be helping one person and another would be yelling at him to get his attention, even reaching out and lightly slapping him on the head to get his attention- as if their issue is SO much more important than that of the person already being helped! And some people even climbed over the counter and were yelling at the guy from behind him, and at one point it looked like the agent was in the middle of a huddle because so many people had climbed over and surrounded him, all sticking their itineraries in his face, oblivious to the fact that he can only help one person at a time. And again the crazy thing was that the ticket agents seemed to just go with it, instead of whipping people into shape by demanding they get back on the other side of the counter, get back in line, and wait their turn!
Even my wife was disgusted, she knows it's that way in China, it's the norm but having lived here in the States for a few years by then she had forgotten just how bad it is.
I have experienced this too while taking a train to Guangzhou. Just when we were already about to show our tickets, An old Woman in her 50's together with some men put herself in front of us, I got pissed and told the woman getting the tickets that we are ahead of her ( though I couldn't speak Chinese , I complained in English ) them the woman on charge of the tickets just smiled and didn't do anything, I got more pissed so I pointed our back to the old woman who wanted to go ahead of us and I told her she has to go back behind our back. I didn't care if she was older, I didn't let her pass because she was rude.
I don't know why the workers in the counters do not control or scold the people, they just tolerate them.

When we were also in the hospital one time, I yelled in the lift because they all wanted to get in when there was no more space and my baby almost got squeezed. I don't understand too why in hospitals, malls or other public places every Chinese want to take the lift when they can also take the escalators or stairs. Lifts are supposed to be only for the ones in wheel chairs or parents carrying buggies or people carrying luggages. But when you look at them, they do not carry anything and look very healthy and yet they all want to take the lift. It is just so hard !
 
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3257
My experience with Chinese and Koreans is that they are very pushy and have poor manners. Koreans can be just outright agresive. I hate to generalize but my experience has been bad to the point i avoid going to Chinese and korean restaurants or any place of business now. There is a small market at the end of my block the owners are Korean and they are very nice people, they treat the customers very well and it is a pleasure to shop there, but in my experience, unfortunetly most korean stores are not like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top