Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Guatemala, Central America.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I'm originally from Guatemala, Central America.
Un placer conocerte Luis ... What made you visit this thread ?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Igualmente, mucho gusto.

Well its an interesting topic. I know alot of Filipino people. It is a very interesting place, i would like to go to the Philippines someday.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Igualmente, mucho gusto.

Well its an interesting topic. I know alot of Filipino people. It it is a very interesting place, i would like to go to the Philippines someday.
It is a topic that keeps going and going. Philippines like all the Spanish colonies in Latin America was once ruled by Spain for almost 4 centuries ( exactly the same as Latin America . People spoke Spanish before but when the Americans came, they eliminated the Spanish Language and replaced it with English so eventually Filipinos stopped speaking Spanish except for loan Spanish words . Though Philippines was a Spanish colony , it was governed by Mexico for 250 years. Philippines is no. 3 most catholic country in the world. When the Americans came in 1898 most of the Spanish families even Spanish mixed Filipinos went back to Spain and some moved to Latin America which is why there are few meztisos left in the Philippines. Spain and Mexico contributed a lot into the Filipino culture. Now, some people especially the younger ones do not even know the contribution of Spain and Mexico to our culture as Philippines is more exposed to American culture now. So some believe we do not have anything to do with hispanic culture especially because of our location. But I believe, it doesn't have anything to do with Geography. It just so happened that we are the only Spanish colony in Asia. May I know what do you think ?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,996 times
Quote:
Yes angel aquino could pass for latina, she is very pretty. Here where i live i encounter many filipinas, and many i have met could pass for Latinas. And usually FIlipinos ask me if i'm Filipino too.
spanish mestizo type filipinos like angel aquino are very rare in the Philippines..only 5% out of the entire country

Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
yea about the same number of spanish laon words as tagalog

Im sure you can experience such thing in any catholic country
In tagalog their pretty is maganda right ? Sounds more Malay. Their mirror is salamin. Their soap is Sabon. Watermelon is Pakwan. Dress is damit, Visayan is Vestida, their doll is Maynika Visayan is Muneca, their bottle is Bote Visayan is Botella, Oil is Langis Visayan is Mantika or Aceite, their to rent is Uupa Visayan is Arquila ( Similar to Spanish Alquila ) Christmas is Pasko , Visayan is Pascua, New year is Bagong Taon, Visayan is Ano Nuevo, Table is mesa Visayan is la mesa.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-03-2013 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
In tagalog their pretty is maganda right ? Sounds more Malay. Their mirror is salamin. Their soap is Sabon. Watermelon is Pakwan. Dress is damit, Visayan is Vestida, Christmas is Pasko , Visayan is Pascua, New year is Bagong Taon, Visayan is Ano Nuevo, Table is mesa Visayan is la mesa.
In Ilocano the Sunday is Domingo instead of tagalog Linggo. still thinking what is the other term in Ilocano of Sunday.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
In Ilocano the Sunday is Domingo instead of tagalog Linggo. still thinking what is the other term in Ilocano of Sunday.
Yes in the Visayas it's Domingo. In tagalog their Until is Hanggang Visayan is Hasta.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
spanish mestizo type filipinos like angel aquino are very rare in the Philippines..only 5% out of the entire country
True, but i still think many Latinos and Filipinos look alike. I get confused for filipino all the time. And like Hermosaa said earlier the Philippines was a spanish colony as was Latin America. In Latin America, the spanish mixed with the Native, which some look very asian. Sometimes when I go to Filipino restaurants, they start talking to me in tagalog. My last name (apellido) is Ramirez, a coworker of mine from Pampanga, his last name (apelyido) is also Ramirez. We call each other cousins.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Well there is no denying, The Philippines has strong cultural ties to Latin America that came through the Spanish. The Spanish influence on Filipino languages is clear, Religon and food also. Being former colonies there are many similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
It is a topic that keeps going and going. Philippines like all the Spanish colonies in Latin America was once ruled by Spain for almost 4 centuries ( exactly the same as Latin America . People spoke Spanish before but when the Americans came, they eliminated the Spanish Language and replaced it with English so eventually Filipinos stopped speaking Spanish except for loan Spanish words . Though Philippines was a Spanish colony , it was governed by Mexico for 250 years. Philippines is no. 3 most catholic country in the world. When the Americans came in 1898 most of the Spanish families even Spanish mixed Filipinos went back to Spain and some moved to Latin America which is why there are few meztisos left in the Philippines. Spain and Mexico contributed a lot into the Filipino culture. Now, some people especially the younger ones do not even know the contribution of Spain and Mexico to our culture as Philippines is more exposed to American culture now. So some believe we do not have anything to do with hispanic culture especially because of our location. But I believe, it doesn't have anything to do with Geography. It just so happened that we are the only Spanish colony in Asia. May I know what do you think ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia