U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which asian country has the best women?
Japan 36 24.32%
China 23 15.54%
Singapore 6 4.05%
South Korea 44 29.73%
Other 39 26.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 AM

101 posts, read 231,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I wonder why they have the highest rate of plastic surgeries in Asia?
A new collection of BEFORE and AFTER photos of Korean Plastic ...
Rofl. The ironic thing on that link is that most of the transformations are not even focused on eye surgeries . In fact plenty of them before had large eyes (natural or not) and are still ugly. I guess those pics will totally overthrown the arguments of certain races/ethnics who claim they're more beautiful simply because they have larger eyes

PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush232 View Post
Koreans have ugly slit eyes and that is why 99% of 16 yr old korean girls get eye surgery to correct this inborne defect. Eye surgery is the #1 surgery in Korea. Sad. Koreans hate themselves. I guess tha's why so many of them light themselves on fire and jump off a building.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
Rofl. The ironic thing on that link is that most of the transformations are not even focused on eye surgeries . In fact plenty of them before had large eyes (natural or not) and are still ugly. I guess those pics will totally overthrown the arguments of certain races/ethnics who claim they're more beautiful simply because they have larger eyes

PS
Larger eyes alone don't make someone attractive...some girls can have small eyes and be attractive, but having very small eyes (so much so that it looks like they're almost closed) is rarely seen as attractive. In general, though, small eyes are seen as unattractive in Asia.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Larger eyes alone don't make someone attractive...some girls can have small eyes and be attractive, but having very small eyes (so much so that it looks like they're almost closed) is rarely seen as attractive. In general, though, small eyes are seen as unattractive in Asia.
True, but then again you rarely see people with very small eyes. Very big eyes will look ugly too. So the proportion is just right. Small eyes are not seen as unattractive on men btw, so obviously there are more to the preference of eye size rather than just complete ethnic brainwashing.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It's interesting that many of the Chinese women who make it in Hollywood are considered not that pretty, even kind of ugly back home. Or maybe it's just that Chinese jealousy characteristic.
Many westerners have odd taste. A lot of them go to China and get the ugliest girl and think she's the most beautiful, lol. They're famous for that.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
True, but then again you rarely see people with very small eyes. Very big eyes will look ugly too. So the proportion is just right. Small eyes are not seen as unattractive on men btw, so obviously there are more to the preference of eye size rather than just complete ethnic brainwashing.
They're not uncommon in Korea, N. China, Mongolia and Siberia. They're less common among the Asians one would typically see in say the US, Southern Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipinos.etc. I agree, too big or googly eyes (e.g. Katy Perry, she has like goldfish eyes) aren't attractive either. Eyes are only one part of the face.

Last part is true...surprisingly some women actually prefer smaller eyes on guys, wonder if they prefer Asian guys? lol. I actually wish I had sort of bigger eyes myself, but as much laterally (length) rather than width. My eyes are noticeably less wide than the distance between them.

I think it's cultural. Traditionally Mongolians saw girls with small eyes as beautiful, and old Chinese and Japanese paintings show women with slit-light eyes and porcelain white skin.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
By chance do you mean eyes like this?

Attachment 119717
Attachment 119718

The last one is too small, but the rest are fine in my book. Southern Chinese actually have medium-large eyes. The first and second type is probably the most common size I'd say, with differing shapes. Maybe the last one wouldn't be too small if she's not smiling.

Asian guys have smaller eyes but their overall appearance are unfortunately also less masculine, lol. I guess there's no problem with Asian girls, but many western woman prefer the rugged and extremely masculine look. But if given a choice I would not want that type of look for myself. From my POV you're right to want longer eyes, because that's also my view on eye size all this while. Longer eyes tend to look more appealing regardless of the width.

Yes, it could be that East Asians traditionally view long-narrow eyes as attractive, but not to the point of slit-like though. And the Shanghai area was actually considered the home of ancient beauties, which logically means not very small eyes. But didn't men once glorify flat-chested women too? So I don't think those are good representations of what humans would biologically prefer. To me it's a fad that will pass when the time comes, and exposure to external cultures will only make it happen sooner/later. I also doubt many Chinese today will still find small bounded feet attractive for example.
Jurgen Treue Photography's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Tbh they're all a bit small for my tastes, except maybe the second one with eyelids. I guess the slanted eyes also give a very 'oriental' appearance.

My sister has eyes about the size of these girls, looks a bit like 'Miu' but better looking. That's why no one ever thinks she's Chinese. My eyes are similar to the girl in the second photo in width, but not as long. I mean more like her with eyelid creases, the photo on the right. My other sister is similar to me but has single eyelids (epicanthic folds) and longer eyes.

Yes, I guess so...yes that makes my eyes look smaller. I don't know if I agree with the last part. Sometimes long but narrow eyes look like long slits, like the third photo you showed. Well the paintings showed women with slit like eyes, which of course might be artistic license. Painters often depict women in ideal form.

http://arts.cultural-china.com/china...1acdd33f71.jpg

No I think it's a mix of culture and biology. It's been said that men generally prefer larger eyes the world over, there might be some truth to it but it's largely cultural too. Keep in mind that in China say 100 years ago, few Chinese men would have much exposure to how western women looked like, so those in say the north of China wouldn't have much of an idea of how large-eyed women looked like. I don't think large eyes themselves would be seen as such a great thing in say India, where they're just taken for granted.

Yeah the bound feet thing is just plain bizarre, but then women throughout history have done some pretty weird things for fashion...

Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Jurgen Treue Photography's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Tbh they're all a bit small for my tastes, except maybe the second one with eyelids. I guess the slanted eyes also give a very 'oriental' appearance.

My sister has eyes about the size of these girls, looks a bit like 'Miu' but better looking. That's why no one ever thinks she's Chinese. My eyes are similar to the girl in the second photo in width, but not as long. I mean more like her with eyelid creases, the photo on the right. My other sister is similar to me but has single eyelids (epicanthic folds) and longer eyes.

Yes, I guess so...yes that makes my eyes look smaller. I don't know if I agree with the last part. Sometimes long but narrow eyes look like long slits, like the third photo you showed. Well the paintings showed women with slit like eyes, which of course might be artistic license. Painters often depict women in ideal form.

http://arts.cultural-china.com/china...1acdd33f71.jpg
The only significant difference in the second picture is the eye shape and eyelids, it's just slightly bigger in the after photo. The size in the before photo is actually not that small, and is actually the size that most single-eyelid eyes tend to have. It's just that the shape is not very nice. And I happen to think that the eyes in #3 look the best out of that 4 pictures, because it's long and the shape is nice lol. Long-narrow eyes especially with thick eye-lashes tend to exude a charm IMO, some sort of implicit/mysterious kind.

And I can see why people don't think your sister looks Chinese. Mui doesn't look Chinese at all. But I don't think I've seen Southern Chinese who look that Austronesian, they're kinda rare. Where are you from?

The slit eyes in pictures could just be simplified drawings, it can also be used to indicate that the width ratio of the eyes is small compared to the total length of the face.

Quote:
No I think it's a mix of culture and biology. It's been said that men generally prefer larger eyes the world over, there might be some truth to it but it's largely cultural too. Keep in mind that in China say 100 years ago, few Chinese men would have much exposure to how western women looked like, so those in say the north of China wouldn't have much of an idea of how large-eyed women looked like. I don't think large eyes themselves would be seen as such a great thing in say India, where they're just taken for granted.

Yeah the bound feet thing is just plain bizarre, but then women throughout history have done some pretty weird things for fashion...
You're right that it's a mix of culture and biology, but the cultural influence will not dominate over the biological ones. I doubt that Asian men find women with deepset eyes attractive, and women with small lips/mouth are still seen as beautiful in East Asia. lol And no, I wouldn't say that large eyes are that rare in the Northern population. From the street photo of beautiful girls I've seen I'd say that they're actually quite common, maybe just not the majority. And by large eyes I mean medium-large instead of very large, sort of like the southern Chinese type.

Oh and btw, Southern Chinese already existed 100 years ago, and there are also southern ethnic minorities so I'm pretty sure they know what large eyes look like.

Last edited by Bastardised; 10-20-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The only significant difference in the second picture is the eye shape and eyelids, it's just slightly bigger in the after photo. The size in the before photo is actually not that small, and is actually the size that most single-eyelid eyes tend to have. It's just that the shape is not very nice. And I happen to think that the eyes in #3 look the best out of that 4 pictures, because it's long and the shape is nice lol. Long-narrow eyes especially with thick eye-lashes tend to exude a charm IMO, some sort of implicit/mysterious kind.

And I can see why people don't think your sister looks Chinese. Mui doesn't look Chinese at all. But I don't think I've seen Southern Chinese who look that Austronesian, they're kinda rare. Where are you from?

The slit eyes in pictures could just be simplified drawings, it can also be used to indicate that the width ratio of the eyes is small compared to the total length of the face.

You're right that it's a mix of culture and biology, but the cultural influence will not dominate over the biological ones. I doubt that Asian men find women with deepset eyes attractive, and women with small lips/mouth are still seen as beautiful in East Asia. lol And no, I wouldn't say that large eyes are that rare in the Northern population. From the street photo of beautiful girls I've seen I'd say that they're actually quite common, maybe just not the majority. And by large eyes I mean medium-large instead of very large, sort of like the southern Chinese type.

Oh and btw, Southern Chinese already existed 100 years ago, and there are also southern ethnic minorities so I'm pretty sure they know what large eyes look like.
True, I think 'double' eyelids tend to emphasise the eyes more and make them appear larger. That's also why women wear eye makeup, to emphasise the eyes and make them appear larger. Yeah narrow eyes can be attractive, like Ava Gardner or something, they exude a sort of more mature, urbane, street-wiseness. I know Miss Gardner doesn't have small eyes by Asian standards, but I always thought she had that kind of 'narrow-eyed look' especially in her expressions.

I've seen a few S. Chinese who look like her, but more commonly Vietnamese, Laos, Thai and oddly enough some Japanese too. It's believed some people came from South-East Asia, maybe via Taiwan, to Japan and that seems believable. Some of the darker Japanese could pass for Malay.

Hmmm I don't know, I think it at least showed that these eyes were considered beautiful and not ugly. I mean I don't think an artist would make them appear uglier than they were.

Yeah I personally find my preferences are shaped quite a lot by culture: being Australian I tended to like non-Asian girls, but the more time I spend around Asian girls or in Asia, the more I appreciate them. I think on average they're as or almost as attractive as white girls though, at least Northern Europeans. Eastern and Southern Europeans are the best looking though imo, as well as Latinas.

No, those eyes aren't that rare in the north. I've been to Beijing, Tianjin, Xian.etc., but definitely less common.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM

And what do you think about this averaged faces of ordinary people from different Asian countries?

Look at the East Asians. Surely they have decent eye sizes, even the Korean ones. And the shape and eyelids look pretty typical as well which tells me they haven't undergone plastic surgery. The notion about the oriental small eyes tend to be exaggerated IMO.

Dad.. Dad.. Dad.. (

Single-eyelid.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
And what do you think about this averaged faces of ordinary people from different Asian countries?

Look at the East Asians. Surely they have decent eye sizes, even the Korean ones. And the shape and eyelids look pretty typical as well which tells me they haven't undergone plastic surgery. The notion about the oriental small eyes tend to be exaggerated IMO.

Dad.. Dad.. Dad.. (

Single-eyelid.
I actually met some Koreans at church today, I've met quite a few there, and yeah quite a few of them have largeish eyes, like average northern European size (N. Euros tend to have smaller eyes than S. Euros on average). Yeah it's not like all of them have slit-like eyes, but quite a few of them still do. I'd say most have pretty small eyes, certainly moreso than most Southern Chinese or Japanese on average.

Speaking of eyelids of 'double eyelids.' I didn't really develop them until my late teen years, and even now they're not that pronounced. In some photos they're actually faint enough to appear invisible, while in others they're very clear. My mum didn't until she was in her 20s (I mean fully) and even now they can be sort of hidden. Both my parents have pretty big eyes, though, they seem bigger than my sister and I's eyes, except my middle sister. My grandfather had big eyes though, he looked kind of Japanese, while my dad's mum, a Peranakan, didn't have that big eyes but looked kind of Malay-Indian. On my mum's side my grandfather had decent-sized eyes while my grandmother has very small eyes. It varies a lot among my relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or